Warmer/Colder displays in iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jafingi, May 20, 2011.

1. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

Hi guys,

Couldn't find a thread about this, but one thing that really annoys me with my iPad 2 is the fragmentation of displays.

My friend's iPad 2 has a very bright, cold, display (like my iPhone 4), but that also bleeds a bit.

My first iPad 2 was identical with his, but was bleeding a lot.

My replacement have absolutely NO bleed even in a dark room with a black screen and 100% brightness, but the display is much, much warmer and doesn't look that sharp (maybe it's just OCD for that matter).

How come, Apple can ship the same device (we both has 16GB WiFi iPad 2), but with such a HUGE difference in displays?

Looks like Apple's quality check is not what it has been.

Here's a picture of my iPad 2 and iPhone 4. You can clearly see how the iPad 2 is much warmer than the iPhone 4.

[​IMG]

My question is: Why doesn't Apple release a firmware update that CORRECTS the color temperature on the iPad, or at least give the user the option to choose warm/cold.

I remember they did that in Snow Leopard where they increased the gamma and changed the color temperature.

I personally dig the cold colors more, as it just feels much brighter and sharper.

2. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Haha. @ 'fragmentation of displays'. :rolleyes:
    I prefer the warmer colours personally. More natural. But, like the white v black iPad issue, warmer or cooler colour temp, is purely a personal thing.
    Good point about having the option though, if it isn't a hardware thing.

3. hoanganh macrumors member

the warmer one is said to be samsung displays! the bleeding one is LG; so anyway, be happy with your replacement with no bleed :)

4. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

I have compared the warmer and cooler iPads to my calibrated desktop display.
    The warmer ones are much closer to correct colors.

5. jafingi thread starter macrumors 65816

jafingi

Well, it is :D

What if you have bought the EXACT same car as one of your friends, but your friends' car was faster than yours.. That isn't fair :cool:

But at least the option to set color temperature would be appreciated, as different people has different preferences.

6. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

It could be calibrated by some software update, but the purity and "pop" of of the whites will not really change. Some panels are just better in this regard.

It's really just the difference between panels and manufacturers.

7. jps1012 macrumors 6502a

jps1012

I bought an ipad 2 this week and it has a warmer display. I prefer cooler displays but I am happy with how bright this one is. I have seen some people post pics of warm displays that are not that bright.

8. madat42 macrumors regular

There's always variation in displays from the same factory, let alone from the different manufacturer's for the iPad display. What Apple really needs to do is include a display calibration tool similar to the Mac OS X version.

9. NateJamesMeyers macrumors member

ya this guys right

10. WilliamG macrumors G3

This. Every display will have a variance in color temp. This is present on the iPad 2, iPad 1, iPhone 4, 3GS, 3G, 2G. Every display will be different, even among the same device. My wife and I have owned every iPhone and iPad, and when we have any of them side by side the differences are often startling, but nothing we would have noticed had we not had them next to each other.

11. hoanganh macrumors member

2 years ago, when i bought my 2nd gen ipod touch and found it had warmer screen than my friend' one. Then, searched apple discussion site and they said that warmer screen is aimed to Western and US market where the weather is cold and the cooler screen is mainly distributed at Asian countries, where it's hotter and sunny; so the users will have better experience! nice explanation though, LOL :D

12. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Because they have to ship millions of them and source multiple manufacturers to keep up with demand?

13. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

I am not exchanging mine I don't want a piss yellow screen.

14. jafingi thread starter macrumors 65816

jafingi

I noticed right out of the box (20 days after i sent my first in for replacement) that the screen was darker and warmer. I got that confirmed after seeing it side by side with my friend's iPad.

What I really have loved about Apple is their consistency. But I think that, and their quality control has been seriously downgraded the past few years to meet the high demand.

Sad, as it has been one of the major marketing points.

15. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

They should add a slider which can edit the colour temperature (using the software). One of the sides should be warmer and the other cooler. e.g.:

If you have a yellow tinted screen, you can adjust the slider to the cooler side, which will tint the software blue, if you see what I mean.

16. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

I'm having this issue.

My original white 64GB iPad 2 display was nice and white and great... but the screen was pulling apart. The replacement I got last week - noticebly piss yellow. They ordered another replacement.. just checked in the store about an hour ago - still piss yellow. Even did a side-by-side with the displays. For some reason, it's not AS noticeable in the store.. but definitely not noticeable. They claimed to not be able to notice, which is amazing, but whatever.

He offered to open more... but seems like they will be the same. So I declined. I guess I will call Apple. I don't know.

I've had similar issues with my iPhone 4, that I just leanred to live with. I used to calibrate video.. and yeah, warm temps are great for movies.. but I prefer cool temps on my iPhone and iPad - it just looks better.

Even with my current iPhone 4.. I'm noticing VERY SMALL horizontal scan lines.. I'm sure they won't notice that either. It's all very frustrating.

17. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

And yeah, I agree. Color temperature should be adjustable, just like on any cheap LCD TV.