Warmer iPad + Case or Body Skin = Bad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by number84, Mar 20, 2012.

1. number84 macrumors 6502

With the new iPad being much warmer than the ipad 2, would putting it in a case or a body skin on it make it even hotter? Especially as you probably wouldn't notice the heat as much. And I would think both would trap heat in.

I remember my wife had the original iPhone in one of those silicone cases (similar aluminum back as the iPads have now) and when she would watch YouTube for hours at a time I could actually smell the case burning. So she ended up taking the case off whenever she watched YouTube over an extended period.

2. jw6961 macrumors regular

jw6961

I doubt it would get hot enough to actually burn the silicone, but if you put a skin on the back of the iPad it might start to bubble up or peel away eventually.

3. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

In my opinion, these "reports," such as they are, concerning a "hot" iPad 3 are fantastically overblown. I own two iPad 3s. My office bought a bunch more for employees, across all model lines.

Heat issues? Zero. Macbook Air runs hotter than iPad 3. And some mobile PCs run much hotter than both the Air and the iPad 3.

I think this story will be dead after a couple days, and I hope Apple ignores the hysterics.

Battery charging under load is a different story; I've no comment or experience on it.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

These reports relate to people using the new ipadnin direct sunlight...Now I take mine out from time to time, but never used any of them like that...I'm guessing full sunlight and an intensive app. A game for example MIGHT get you to the cool down mode screen...I've used mine intensively over the last few days..no issues regarding heat at all.

It's In a Griffin leather folio case at the moment....will be buying the reveal when it becomes available for the 3