Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
The real importance implicit of this very long thread

Well, the new MacBook is here and... I am wondering how do I change the title of this thread to reflect it. Any idea? I think I just forgot how to do it.

It sure can be done to change the title of the thread - but perhaps the very title tells an important story, a story also illustrated by the enormous numer of posts: That is - this thread is a very strong expression of loyal customers' wish that Apple would produce a new Air in the tradition of the present ones, a new Air that keeps the valuable features of the present ones, both 11" and 13" models.

Looking back at this thread, IMO it is sad to see - for the time being, at least - Apple has decided to ignore the strong wish of so many loyal customers. That is: Of course the new rMB is great to have in the market, but IMO not instead of the Air and a further development of that line with its special features. IMO the new rMB is not a good replacement for the Airs.

Perhaps this thread should be continued because it can keep alive the hope of a further development of the Air, new Air models that are "in line with" what so many customers clearly have expressed that they want and need. Apple should remember that arrogance and ignorance of the customers needs may be bad business.

Reactions: SSD-GUY

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Edit - Advanced Edit then click and edit the title field

You mean... edit on the first post?

----------

It sure can be done to change the title of the thread - but perhaps the very title tells an important story, a story also illustrated by the enormous numer of posts: That is - this thread is a very strong expression of loyal customers' wish that Apple would produce a new Air in the tradition of the present ones, a new Air that keeps the valuable features of the present ones, both 11" and 13" models.

Looking back at this thread, IMO it is sad to see - for the time being, at least - Apple has decided to ignore the strong wish of so many loyal customers. That is: Of course the new rMB is great to have in the market, but IMO not instead of the Air and a further development of that line with its special features. IMO the new rMB is not a good replacement for the Airs.

Perhaps this thread should be continued because it can keep alive the hope of a further development of the Air, new Air models that are "in line with" what so many customers clearly have expressed that they want and need. Apple should remember that arrogance and ignorance of the customers needs may be bad business.

Oh, it seems like someone cares about the historic significance of this thread – I thought there was none. :D

What exactly do you think the new retina MacBook lacks that the Air has? I mean, everything seems to be there, maybe with the exception of the ports. Perhaps I am missing something.

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
Why the Air tradition/features should be continued, further developed

What exactly do you think the new retina MacBook lacks that the Air has? I mean, everything seems to be there, maybe with the exception of the ports. Perhaps I am missing something.

Apart from the ports, I first of all think that the keyboard is a proven winner - perhaps also a result of several years of refinement. The rMB keyboard may be good, but I am sceptical about the lesser size horizontally, and also vertically? In addition the keys are bigger, or the space between them are smaller, which I think can result in a more "cramped" experience. And the lesser travel may as well be negative for some.

Also, on a very personal note, I prefer that the Air series offers an 11" model which has a 16:9 screen ratio.

One of the possible disadvantages of the rMB is its lag with regard to screen scrolling and screen update (that some has reported).

IMO, a very good development of the present Airs would be a better screen the the TN screen, not necessarily a retina screen, but for instance a 1080 IPS screen - and of course an increase of screen size like the Dell XPS 13 that has much thinner bezels. If Apple would do these refinements, I think it would be well received, also in terms of sales. And this could be done parallel with new rMB models, I think - or hope. :)

Last edited:

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Apart from the ports, I first of all think that the keyboard is a proven winner - perhaps also a result of several years of refinement. The rMB keyboard may be good, but I am sceptical about the lesser size horizontally, and also vertically? In addition the keys are bigger, or the space between them are smaller, which I think can result in a more "cramped" experience. And the lesser travel may as well be negative for some.

The keyboard is probably one of the issues with the new MacBook. Have you tested it? I read reports of it, but I have not yet tested. The keyboard in my retina MacBook Pro is great, and I guess it is very similar to the one in the MacBook Air. As for the new keyboard in the retina MacBook, I am just curious to see how the new "butterfly" mechanism will play out.

Also, on a very personal note, I prefer that the Air series offers an 11" model which has a 16:9 screen ratio.

Why do you prefer a 16:9 screen? I think it is cramped, especially in smaller models such as the 11-inch Air. The 16:10 screen feels better for me, and I am just curious to see the 3:2 screen of the Surface – there are no models here in Brazil to check this aspect ratio.

One of the possible disadvantages of the rMB is its lag with regard to screen scrolling and screen update (that some has reported).

This is not a design feature of the retina MacBook, and it may improve over time (and certainly will). So, I would not count it as a disadvantage of the model.

IMO, a very good development of the present Airs would be a better screen the the TN screen, not necessarily a retina screen, and of course an increase of screen size like the Dell XPS 13 that has much thinner bezels. If Apple would do these refinements, I think it would be well received, also in terms of sales. And this could be done parallel with new rMB models, I think - or hope. :)

The retina MacBook Pro has already several of those features: a better screen and a smaller bezel (in the 13-inch model, of course; and the 11-inch could not have a smaller bezel due to the keyboard size). Honestly, I don't see a reason why the current Air should be kept, except, perhaps, for the lower price. I haven't seen the new retina MacBook yet, but it seems to have its own disadvantages – less ports, less battery life, weaker processor, less travel in the keyboard. However, some of these features – performance and battery life, for instance – will get better over time. As for the keyboard and the ports, I guess we will have to live with them; anyway, ports tend to disappear as the world evolves into the cloud. The keyboard perhaps is just a matter of getting used to it – I used to prefer the keyboard in my white MacBook, but now I prefer the one in the retina Pro.

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
From Vaio TZ to MacBook Air 11" (2015) - to rMB (2016?

The keyboard is probably one of the issues with the new MacBook. Have you tested it? I read reports of it, but I have not yet tested. The keyboard in my retina MacBook Pro is great, and I guess it is very similar to the one in the MacBook Air. As for the new keyboard in the retina MacBook, I am just curious to see how the new "butterfly" mechanism will play out.

Why do you prefer a 16:9 screen? I think it is cramped, especially in smaller models such as the 11-inch Air. The 16:10 screen feels better for me, and I am just curious to see the 3:2 screen of the Surface – there are no models here in Brazil to check this aspect ratio.

This is not a design feature of the retina MacBook, and it may improve over time (and certainly will). So, I would not count it as a disadvantage of the model.

The retina MacBook Pro has already several of those features: a better screen and a smaller bezel (in the 13-inch model, of course; and the 11-inch could not have a smaller bezel due to the keyboard size). Honestly, I don't see a reason why the current Air should be kept, except, perhaps, for the lower price. I haven't seen the new retina MacBook yet, but it seems to have its own disadvantages – less ports, less battery life, weaker processor, less travel in the keyboard. However, some of these features – performance and battery life, for instance – will get better over time. As for the keyboard and the ports, I guess we will have to live with them; anyway, ports tend to disappear as the world evolves into the cloud. The keyboard perhaps is just a matter of getting used to it – I used to prefer the keyboard in my white MacBook, but now I prefer the one in the retina Pro.

I have not tested the rMB and its new keyboard yet, but I am sceptical about the lesser travel (too little?) and smaller space between the keys than the MBA keyboard, on the basis of the experience of other persons who have tried it.

In fact, I have been using a Vaio TZ since 2008, and this was the Sony machine that Steve Jobs compared the then new Air with, in his presentation of the first Air (see youtube). One of his main points was that the Air's thickest part was thinner than the Vaio's thinnest, BTW. This old Vaio has served its time, done its job, now, and is now too slow. But it has done its job over the years to my satisfaction. I have, however, for the last few years seriously considered to switch to a MacBook Air 11", because I like the 16:9 "more cinemascopic" screen ratio, which I for that reason prefer. It's a pure subjectively preference, of course.

But now in the beginning of May, I will receive a brand new MacBook Air 11" from Apple, with i5 processor, 8 GB RAM and 512 GB SSD. I have read a lot about switching from PC to Mac, and about how to calibrate the Mac screen, and a lot of other things concerning the Air. I wanted now to get one of these "classic" Airs before they are discontinued, as they may be. The main reasons have been reports about over-all build quality, the good keyboard, and the fantastic trackpad. And I wanted it in spite of the sub-optimal screen, which I think is not that bad, after all, for my eyes and work (first of all: writing). I also prefer the glossy screen, and I don't think "the lack of retina" will be a great disappointment for me. (Although of course I can see the point of having a retina screen, and I think the next generation rMB will be a very tempting machine for me, in spite of the 16:10 ratio.)

I have followed this thread in about 1,5 years with excitement and great interest, and I am was surprised when it was revealed some weeks ago that there were only minor spec improvements for the Airs and that a new model, the rMB, was presented, possibly to replace the Airs after a period of time.

BTW, this thread has been very useful, good and informative in the process of coming to buy a new MacBook Air and taking the switch from PC.

And this Forum is IMO the best and most comprehensive website for info, problemsolving, and discussions regarding Apple products.

Last edited:

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Yup, first post, "Edit," then "Go advanced"

You mean... edit on the first post?

----------

Oh, it seems like someone cares about the historic significance of this thread – I thought there was none. :D

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
I finally had a chance to see the new MacBook, the space grey one. It is indeed a very elegant laptop, and smaller than the 11-inch Air. I was impressed but, impressed as I was, I am not sure I would buy one. I am not convinced by the keyboard, the slow processor and the lack of ports.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.