WARNING! 3.0 may no longer work with your video output cable or dock.

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by 4DThinker, Jun 19, 2009.

1. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Just as the title states. After updating my 1st and 2nd gen Touches they no longer will output video through a cable that came with my AAXA Pico Projector. This cable worked perfectly with the previous firmware.

Feel free to list in this thread any video device you have that no longer works.

4D

2. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Be careful how you worded this thread more so on how you jumped to conclusions. You might have to reconfigure the iPods video settings, I'm not surprised your having trouble but you seam to have gotten a little jumpY over it. Check it out Ive talked to a bunch of people and they haven't had trouble.

3. 4DThinker thread starter macrumors 68020

I've triple checked all my video settings, display settings, etc. This same problem appears on three different Touches. Two first gens and one second gen. All three would output video through this cable before the 3.0 update. None will output video through this cable after 3.0 is installed. The cable still works with my ipod Nano (eliptical).

This is no mistake, and I'm not being careless in mentioning it. The 3.0 update HAS changed how your Touch deals with video output through the dock connector, and it sucks!

4. mahoneyjoe macrumors newbie

Griffin composit video cable

Since the 3.0 update my 2G touch handles video a little differently; used to be the video played on the touch while it played on my tv; now the touch's screen is fixed on one picture for the movie, like an album cover; this is to the better as far as I'm concerned; I still hit the off button so nothing is displayed while the movie's playing. Does your cable have the recognition chip in it? Because a lot of cable were disabled when the 2G was released.

5. tnsmart macrumors 6502

I also had a video cable working just fine on my 2nd generation iPod before on 2.2.1 that no longer works on 3.0. Now, I only get audio.

6. soarer123 macrumors newbie

same here, is this going to be addressed in the 3.0.1 update ???

7. 4DThinker thread starter macrumors 68020

It had better. Apple's going to buy me a new cable if they don't. My cable worked fine in 2.2.1. I verified with the store I bought it from that it would work and it did. Until 3.0 that is.

8. Lunchbox700 macrumors regular

I have an hd radio with an ipod dock, and a svideo output. I haven't tried since I updated but will tomorrow to see if it still works. One annoying thing though is I use this for my primary charging unit and when I plug it in every once in awhile the ipod will come on with a warning saying that this device is not compatible and it never did that before. I will confirm though that it still plays music and the radio still controls the device.

9. Dino451 macrumors 6502

Ive had the exact opposite experience. Before 3.0 both my original and my replacement touch(2g) both would work randomly on a dock connector video cable. It was very frustrating. Since 3.0 every time I connect my touch to the video cable it works. The only complaint about video is that I cant chose a photo that I want to see on the tv without starting the slide show then going to that photo.

10. JCastro macrumors 6502a

I doubt it! :rolleyes:

11. soarer123 macrumors newbie

if i use the restore feature, will it go back to the last operating system i had ?
    or is that a pipe dream ?

cheers

12. tnsmart macrumors 6502

Anybody having trouble with the AV cables apple sells? I wonder if they did this on purpose.

13. 4DThinker thread starter macrumors 68020

I know they are responsible for demanding an Apple chip in anyone else's cables/dock, etc.. So it wouldn't surprise me if they decided the competitors were still undercutting their outragious cable prices and used a backdoor code to disable all but their own cables.

14. jeffreyropp macrumors member

I'm having the same problem with my original iphone and a cable certified for 2.2. Something definitely broke in 3.0.

15. crmccashin macrumors regular

crmccashin

Killed video cable

Yep, same here. Killed the cable. When I attach it, I get a pop up saying that it is not compatible.

16. emandude macrumors newbie

Same problem with my iPhone 3G

We used this all the time to watch music videos on our main TV. Stopped working with 3.0. :(:confused::mad:

I'm sure it will be fixed.

17. 4DThinker thread starter macrumors 68020

18. punkassjim macrumors newbie

iPhone 3GS and Apple Component AV Cable

For what it's worth, I've got two items to add:

1. My original iPhone still works perfectly with my Apple Component AV Cable (and Universal Dock), even on OS 3.0.
    2. My iPhone 3GS puts out completely scrambled video on the same cable, but only when connected to my CRT-based television.

I brought the 3GS to the Genius Bar today, and they replaced it…but they failed to check my phone before issuing the replacement, which exhibited the exact same problem (there goes a perfect Invisible Shield, down the drain). I brought the second phone back to the store, and it puts out beautiful video on their in-house HDTV, which is LCD-based. The dude helping me said he would "escalate" my case, which would hopefully result in some sort of results. For now, I kinda just have to accept that it's broken, and hope against hope that it gets fixed. But I'm just thankful to see that it's not only iPhone 3GS owners who are experiencing problems. It leads me to believe that action will be taken, and fast.

19. celticpride678

20. 4DThinker thread starter macrumors 68020

The difference between the old CRT and a new HDTV is the CRT won't have component inputs, and can't deal with progressive signals. I wonder if with the digital switchover Apple threw in an upgrade to 480p over composite, which no older technology would know what to do with.

21. rmb7984 macrumors regular

rmb7984

My standard composite video cable from apple is still working fine.

22. campesino macrumors newbie

Pioneer car audio and ipod...fine before 3.0

I have a huge problem... yesterday as normal i used my ipod touch with the 2.x firmware as usual with my pioneer deh 6950... so i got back home and i plugged the ipod touch to my pc to sync (i never do because the pioneer radio charges it) so i (dont know why) spended 9 dolars in the new firmware, but now it doesnt work proprly with my car, cant see the artists, it takes like 3 minutes to start, and it freezes. im 100% shure that is because of the new firmaware because ive used it with my car without any problemssince i bought the ipod, so my quistions
    1) im not way informed about the ipod stuff, do they attend issues like this or they will (as others companes do) just ignore it?
    2) if apple doesnt take care of this problem..how can i get to the old firmware?...i barely now how to sinc the little gadget so dont spect me to hack it jejeje

Its very important to me because 99% of the time i use my ipod is in the car so i want to be able to use it right

some information:
    1) the ipod and my car work have a few working features left, after waiting 2 minutes i can load the playlists, and surf between them with a huge lag
    2) it charges the ipod
    3) every aplication works fine even when conected to the car, my radio never allowed me to surf the musci from the ipod when connected to the car, so the freezin artist list and the lag occurs on the dash screen.
    i have a first genertin ipod touch
    4) i have a pioneer 6950 ib, with the ipod ready cable

its sucks that this guys charge olmost 10 bucks for something that doesn work properly

23. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

They definitely did something because my iPhone used to beep once I connected it to my Pioneer DEH-iB4000 (?). Now it's silent. It's important because if I connect it too fast I get an error. The beep tells me when it safe to fully plug it in. It still works but it's more of a pain getting it right now.

24. Jani-Appleseed macrumors member