Resolved WARNING: 8.0.2 Does Not ALLOW LTE Voice Calls

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by dsherh5, Sep 26, 2014.

1. dsherh5, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014

dsherh5 macrumors newbie

So I updated from iOS 8 to 8.0.2 (skipped 8.0.1) on my iPhone 6 Plus and noticed LTE not working correctly. Not as bad as what happened with 8.0.1 where the cell service didn't work at all, but this problem below is still bad. This is AT&T service btw and for me is 100 percent repeatable.

I noticed that I have a strong LTE connection, but as soon as I make a voice call the phone drops to 4G right away. As soon as I hang up the call it goes right back to LTE connection. This is 100% repeatable for me. I often talk and use data at the same time and this new flaw greatly slows down my data connection while I am on the phone. Even as recent as yesterday before I made the update, when I made voice calls my phone stayed on the LTE tower.

Anyone else seeing this problem?

2. neworleans-7 macrumors regular

neworleans-7

WARNING: 8.0.2 Does Not ALLOW LTE Voice Calls

Not sure if this is trolling but if not, whenever you make a call on LTE it falls back to 4G as there isn't LTE calling on AT&T yet.

If you make a FaceTime audio call it should stay on LTE however.

3. clubtech macrumors member

Hmm...as far as I know AT&T doesn't have voice over LTE service enabled yet. It always dropped to 4g during a call, even on 8.0.

4. ou4me macrumors newbie

Not normal?

My iPhone 6+ does this on 8.0. My iPhone 5 did this as well. I've always assumed that is was normal behavior on AT&T.

5. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

if 8.0 is still being signed go back to it then back to 8.0.2 & confirm its the update & not at&t, but before that reset network settings on 8.0.2 & also call at&t

6. Act3 macrumors 65816

this is normal for AT&T, my 5s has always done the same thing and is still running 7.1.2

7. wepiii macrumors 6502

As far as I know AT&T does not offer VOLTE. The LTE to 4G you describe is how my 5, 5S, and 6 have always functioned. Unless I'm just in an area that doesn't offer it yet, I think it is by design...

8. iMaven, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014

iMaven macrumors 6502

iMaven

9. AnakinMac macrumors newbie

Settings->Cellular->Enable LTE->Voice & Data

Just noticed this setting is new on iPhone 6/6+

Have you checked that?

BTW, I haven't tried volte yet...lol

10. KenAFSPC macrumors 6502a

VoLTE works fine on Verizon and T-Mobile in 8.0.2.

AT&T doesn't support VoLTE yet (outside of 3-4 test markets).

11. dsherh5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry about that not trolling. I thought I always saw my phone stay on LTE when I made voice calls. Perhaps I'm wrong. I will see if there is a way to mark this thread as resolved. Thanks for the clarification.

12. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

That must be Verizon. AT&T has had voice/data since 3G.

----------

No, LTE has been data only since day one. The specs for VoLTE are new and just beginning to be implemented (only a couple of phones even support as of now). Voice has always been over 3G or less.

13. AnakinMac macrumors newbie

I'm using ATT.
    I don't know whether it will work, but the setting's there...Maybe it will rolling out soon?

14. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

VoLTE is available in a few select markets and being expanded.

EDIT: from AT&T and make that VERY select:

See current HD Voice coverage:

Illinois, Wisconsin, and Indiana
    Minnesota
    Check back regularly to view new HD Voice coverage areas.

15. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

The option is to enable VoLTE on the device, not simultaneous data (CDMA will never support this, and the iPhone never will on Verizon without VoLTE or a dual radio design). Regardless of carrier, the option is available.

Most likely as a precaution since inevitably some carriers may end up charging us to use VoLTE, so for those who don't want it they can disable it.

16. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Incorrect. The iPhone 6 supports simultaneous data on Verizon's network. It's part of their "Advanced Calling" feature they are implementing on other phones as well.

17. saratoga172 macrumors newbie

No volte on att yet. Last I heard was early 2015 with some potential earlier markets being activated.

18. jkeekij macrumors regular

I got a text today that linked to what is listed below.

INTRODUCING ADVANCED CALLING 1.0
    Enjoy HD Voice and Simultaneous Voice and Data for Select iOS Devices

Advanced Calling 1.0 is the Verizon brand name for the first generation of services enabled by VoLTE technology, or Voice over LTE. VoLTE is a new technology platform that changes the way we carry voice traffic on our network.

With Advanced Calling 1.0, voice calls are delivered over Verizon’s 4G LTE network instead of the traditional voice network (but are still billed like regular calls).

Calls are automatically made as HD Voice when both parties are using HD-Voice-enabled phones and are connected to the Verizon 4G LTE network.

Simultaneous Voice and Data lets you place and receive calls while:

Surfing the web
    Continuing your downloads
    Using an app
    Using a feature like Mobile Hotspot

To get Advanced Calling 1.0, purchase or upgrade to an iOS HD-Voice-capable phone. Then, from your phone, go to Settings > Cellular > Enable LTE > Voice & Data.

Because Advanced Calling 1.0 is a first-generation service, your calling experience may differ from your current experience and may include audio issues or dropped calls. Remember, you can always manage your experience by changing your phone setting to Settings > Cellular > Enable LTE > Data Only at any time.

19. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

20. andrewket, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014

andrewket macrumors regular

WARNING: 8.0.2 Does Not ALLOW LTE Voice Calls

Simultaneous voice and data works on Verizon! I just made a VoLTE call and was able to browse (wifi off).

I'm in the DC area.

21. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

I stand corrected, I just tried this and it works!

22. KenAFSPC macrumors 6502a

The future is unknown. Currently, T-Mobile VoLTE only works on the 6 and 6 Plus.

23. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Huh. I have a cheap prepaid Samsung piece of junk I bought in 2011 that has tmobile Wi-Fi calling. I wonder why it's such a challenge to put it on an iPhone?

24. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0