Warning about groovystand.com

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by mrgreen4242, Jul 26, 2011.

1. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

So, I saw this product featured on some tech blog for iPad stands, and I thought it look perfect for me and the price was great. I ordered one, but eventually had to file a chargeback with my credit card. This is, basically, what happened:

First, there's a $5 shipping fee that is sprung on you during the order. They don't list any shipping costs on the site until you are almost done with the order. Not a big deal, but the $5 "standard" shipping is 6-10 business days, and the upgrade to 2-5 business days with tracking info is $15 - more than the price of the item.

NOTE: the site now doesn't list any shipping estimates when you order, and the price is up to $5.50 for standard shipping

Aslo, the maker/seller of this product (I'm 99% certain it's just some guy in his garage) is in Canada. I have no problem with Canada or Canadians, but he makes NO mention of this when ordering. Understanding that you are buying from an international company is important when you are making shipping decisions. The site is a .com, not a .ca, and the purchase is in USD which I feel gives the impression that the product is domestic (from my point of view as an America). There's NO indication that your order is coming from Canada.

My order failed to arrive after 2 weeks, so I contacted him, with the dialof being:

"It's been two weeks and I have not received my order. Can you please check into it for me?

Thanks,

Hi,
    Your order was shipped on June 14, so you should receive it shortly.

Thank you
    Vince"

OK, no big deal, I'll give it a couple more days since he did verify that it was shipped.

Another week, still no product, sent an email, no reply. This went on with me sending 1-2 emails per week for 3 more weeks.

After four weeks waiting for the stand, I emailed and told him that he can respond in 24 hours with one of the following: a complete refund or reship the product with tracking and an express service, or I will file a chargeback.
    This got a response.

Finally, 4 unanswered emails over 2-3 weeks and I hear from him. What could he have to say for himself??

"Hi,
    I have answered your last emails, but maybe they went to your spam, so what I wrote down in these email is that your order was shipped on June 14 and that you should receive it shortly.
    Thank you Vince"

I use Gmail, so my spam folder is easily searchable and saved for 30 days. I checked, nothing there from him (of course). I filed a chargeback the following morning.

It's been two weeks since then and nothing has shown up from him. If it does I will give him the opportunity to pay for return shipping and he can have it back.

Just wanted to give MR a heads-up about this company to maybe save you the hassle.

TL;DR GroovStand.com took my order, failed to indicate they were a foreign company (implied they were a US based company by charging in USD, imo), charged me $5 shipping, product never arrived, ignored my emails, lied to me about it, completely failed to offer any sort of customer service in any way shape or form. I would HIGHLY recommend you do not buy from them.

2. mechanopony macrumors member

mechanopony

When ordering, was there anything in the process that clearly stated they were not located in the US? Do you have any idea what shipping carrier they were supposed to be using?

3. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Nope, the only reason I know they are Canadian is another MacRumors who received theirs from a Canadian address. I believe the line item for the charge on my credit card *might* have had a "CDN" in it somewhere, but they never disclosed that before, during or after the sale. No idea what shipping method they claim to have used. The **entirety** of their communications to me over the month+ time waiting for their product is copied verbatim above.

4. physicsguy13 macrumors 6502

physicsguy13

I ordered one from them that supposedly shipped on 5/17 and was never received. I eventually just forgot about it but I think it would be smart for people to just avoid this company until some people come forward that they actually received what they ordered.

5. norrismantooth macrumors regular

Ever check out his blog?

"
    July 16, 2011
    Improving shipping

0 COMMENTS

We are currently in a trial mode with Shipwire, a fufillment service with multiple warehouses in the UK, USA and Canada which will hopefully improve our shipping time and rates."

I suggest you "leave him a few comments" -- these are readable by his site viewers. Specifically mention his shipping times.

6. norrismantooth macrumors regular

It's a piece of wood with a 45 degree and 18 degree slots. Anyone with a router table can make this. Or, if you don't have a router table, use a hacksaw. Won't look as pretty, but gets the job done. His cost to build is around $1 or $2 a unit.

7. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Thanks for the heads up on that. The post date you list is after my order was placed.

In the most basic sense, you are exactly right. I mentioned all this to a coworker of mine who's uncle (and neighbor) owns a lumber mill and he's building a few for me (and himself) with scraps of oak, maple, cherry, walnut, etc (the mill makes hardwood flooring, primarily). We measured up the angles of the 1st gen Apple brand ipad case (roughly 15 deg and 75 deg in "keyboard" and "movie stand" modes) and he cut some from pine just to check it out. One of the cuts was wrong and ended up around 35 deg, which wound up perfect for reading/browsing applications where you are mostly looking at the screen but touching it a little. So, he's making some from the hardwood with three cuts it them (and routing the enges all nice, etc). I'll be sanding/staining them, and putting some little rubber feet on them.

8. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I just tried to post and it has to be "approved by the blog owner" before it goes up, so fat chance it will ever show up!

9. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Did you file a chargeback with your CC company? If not, see if you still can. If he gets enough chargebacks, the CC processors will stop doing business with him, or so I understand.