Warning about Photoshop 2018!

Miltz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2013
New York
I have a 2016 MacBook Pro 15. After installing the new version, it was slow and my fans were going crazy. If you're a PRO using Photoshop for work, I would skip installing the new version until the issues get worked out. Luckily I was able to uninstall it and install 2017 again because 2018 was unusable for me.

Update: I'm using High Sierra, 460 Video card

Last edited:

aevan

macrumors 68040
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Simply put they recommended I go back to 2017 version.
I have the 2016 MBP 15 and upgraded to 2018 Photoshop yesterday. Works like a charm and fans are silent even with really large files and brushes. Same with my iMac 5K. Not sure what's going on in your case, but it works great, brush engine seems improved with less lag and this is one of my favorite Photoshop updates so far.

Not sure how Adobe recommended you return to the 2017 - once you update, I don't see a way to install an older version. Maybe I'm mistaken. Are you sure that's what they said?

Either way, works great for me. Did you try reinstalling PS? Or deleting the preferences file?

Last edited:

Miltz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2013
New York
I have the 2016 MBP 15 and upgraded to 2018 Photoshop yesterday. Works like a charm and fans are silent even with really large files and brushes. Same with my iMac 5K. Not sure what's going on in your case, but it works great, brush engine seems improved with less lag and this is one of my favorite Photoshop updates so far.

Not sure how Adobe recommended you return to the 2017 - once you update, I don't see a way to install an older version. Maybe I'm mistaken. Are you sure that's what they said?

Either way, works great for me. Did you try reinstalling PS? Or deleting the preferences file?
Try saving a file raw as a .PNG and tell me what happens. My system goes nuts and takes forever. I use .PNG a lot for work. Yes you can install old versions right from creative cloud. Since they couldn’t fix the issue, and said my 2017 worked great, I should stick with it till the next update.
[doublepost=1508572040][/doublepost]
What MacOS version are you running?
Latest version of High Sierra

aevan

macrumors 68040
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Try saving a file raw as a .PNG and tell me what happens. My system goes nuts and takes forever.
Ah, well that’s a very specific scenario I never tried - based on your description, I assumed you open up Photoshop and fans start going crazy.

I save PNG files of some very large 5000x6000 PSD files with hundreds of layers with no issues, however, I do not have a raw file to use (if you’re really curious, I guess I could find one online). Anyway, I remember exporting to PNG always feeling a little finicky to me on previous versions. Didn’t notice anything wrong on 2018, but I’vee been using it for a short time. And yes, I often save PNG too. Also - I have HS and APFS, 2016 MBP, with the 455 gpu - if that helps.

Anyway, what can I say: hope the next PS update fixes your issue.

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
Simply put they recommended I go back to 2017 version.
This is the fascinating thing about forums. The only google hit I found related this this issue was the thread you started in the Adobe forum. Some other random internet dude (not anybody from Adobe) suggested you go back to the previous version since it was working for you.

Interesting that you seem to suggest the software messes up your system when upon further discussion, it's just a (potential) bug in just one small feature of the software. Suggest you file a bug report with Adobe... no reason for the FUD here.

Reactions: aevan

negativzero

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
Try saving a file raw as a .PNG and tell me what happens. My system goes nuts and takes forever. I use .PNG a lot for work. Yes you can install old versions right from creative cloud. Since they couldn’t fix the issue, and said my 2017 worked great, I should stick with it till the next update.
[doublepost=1508572040][/doublepost]
Latest version of High Sierra
Just tried converting an 8k RAW file from my D850 to PNG, works as intended though.
Mine's a 2017 MacBook 15" TB

aevan

macrumors 68040
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
This is the fascinating thing about forums. The only google hit I found related this this issue was the thread you started in the Adobe forum. Some other random internet dude (not anybody from Adobe) suggested you go back to the previous version since it was working for you.
Adobe recommending a previous version did sound a bit weird, that explains it. Nice comment about forums.

Miltz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2013
New York

Interesting that you seem to suggest the software messes up your system when upon further discussion, it's just a (potential) bug in just one small feature of the software. Suggest you file a bug report with Adobe... no reason for the FUD here.
At least now we know who the forum sheriff is. I actually called adobe tech support, and after walking me through some settings in the performance section that didn't fix the issue and reinstalling it, they walked me through the installing 2017 and uninstalling 2018 which was pretty simple. It was the best course of action since they never heard of the issue yet and I was on location working and need it to be fixed. But I'm sure you already knew that because you googled it.