Warning about squaretrade

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Kestrel452, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Kestrel452 macrumors regular

I called SquareTrade today about their warranty policy. All was fine until he got to the part about how much they'll cover the iPad. Apparently they will cover up to the purchase value of the iPad, but there are catches. If your iPad needs any kind of work like a new screen or what have you, that gets deducted from your coverage amount. So you basically get screwed if you have had to bring it in a couple or few times for work and you drop it. They wont just replace it for you since you've used up some of its value.

Word to the wise: GET APPLECARE, and then a Worth Ave Group plan if you're really that scared of it getting broken. DEFINITELY forget Squaretrade! WAG will keep your policy as long as you dont file a replacement claim twice in the same year, so in essence (unless you're a total clutz) you won't get dropped by them whereas ST will.

This policy is for ALL Apple devices! I've bought ST warranties in the past, and never will buy one from them again.

2. 184550 Guest

I'd imagine that they're trying to protect themselves from people who abuse the service.

If you're that much of a klutz, don't buy expensive electronics.

3. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

I agree. If you end up using a squaretrade warrantee once, you've already made more than your money back...

4. Kestrel452 thread starter macrumors regular

I meant "work" as in fixing electronic issues not due to physical damage that wouldnt need replacement of the whole unit. sorry.

5. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

that doesn't surprise me the least. you pay what? $80 for a $829 device and you get it replaced once if you break it or the same amount over several accidents.

Getting Applecare is $99 and on top of that you need an insurance for accidents and spill. So you end up paying $150 or so.

6. Kestrel452 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes but if you have to have electronics failures fixed by squaretrade, they deduct that from your coverage value. Even if it's a factory defect.

The squaretrade plan would be a good deal, but if the iPad starts needing work, the costs for repairs count against your accidental damage coverage amount.

7. 184550 Guest

Why would one go to Squaretrade for an issue like that? Seems like Apple would take care of anything like that for free, basically.

When I bought Squaretrade coverage for my 3GS sixteen months ago, the only reason I bought it was for catastrophic damage, something that Apple would never cover. If I ever have an 'inside' issue with my 3GS, I'll take it straight to Apple. I've never had an issue with Apple not covering an 'inside' issue that occurs with their products, no matter how far out of coverage the product is.

8. Kestrel452 thread starter macrumors regular

Really? :confused:

9. 184550 Guest

I took my 2nd generation iPod Touch to Apple about two years ago for an internal problem. After I replicated the problem for the Genius, they replaced it on the spot, for free. All I had to do was sign the paperwork acknowledging the service that was performed.

Hell, that same Apple store even replaced my brothers cracked iPhone 3GS screen for free seven months after purchase, even after he acknowledged he accidentally dropped it when getting out of the car. Again, all he had to do was sign the paperwork acknowledging the service that was performed.

10. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

11. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

That is called goodwill, and can not be relied on once outside of the standard warranty period.

12. LinMac macrumors 65816

Squaretrade warranties are generally good, but I agree with the OP that I would never buy them for Apple devices.

The Worth Avenue Group (WAG) is a much better option even if they are more expensive. Insurance is insurance and an extended warranty is just an extended warranty.

13. yankintx macrumors 6502

I was thinking the same thing!:)

14. SR2 macrumors regular

15. 184550 Guest

Still, in my experience, over the past two, two and half years, I've never had a problem with getting service on internal problems from Apple.

I'd still take my chances with Apple and wouldn't trust Squaretrade, or any other third party insurance, to fix internal problems.

As I said before, the only reason I bought Squaretrade was for catastrophic damage Apple wouldn't cover under any circumstance.

16. kenmarable macrumors member

Fixes beyond warranty coverage aside, there aren't any iPads outside of the 1 year complimentary support yet anyway! (at least here in US, don't know the Applecare terms in other countries) ALL iPads are still on their first year.

So, yeah, the only reason to have outside coverage right now is for accidental damage and theft. All mechanical issues should be taken to Apple first.

17. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

I thought Square Trade was pretty much up front with their replacement policies.

Yeah, it's not great, but they need to draw the line to keep the price reasonable. All it would take is a handful of folks using their iPads in high-risk environments to crush the profitability of their business if they had no limits.

I guess the warning applies to any replacement/repair contract you get. Give it a careful read before you buy.

This is why I hate the Best Buy extended service plan pitch when you're checking out. You've got no time to read and see what's actually being covered. I'd much prefer being handed a flier that explained the plan and lets me activate it within X number of days.

18. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

To be honest, I think Applecare extended warranty and a comprehensive contents insurance (which covers your stuff even when it is not at home) is all you need. My current policy is like that, and it has the upshot that all of our stuff is insured when we are travelling within NZ. The extra premium for the comprehensive policy was less than what Squartrade wants for the iPad policy alone, and covers much more than just the iPad.