Warning about the iPod Touch Jailbreak!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by zsno, Oct 10, 2007.

1. zsno macrumors member

Don't go to the site with the .TIFF exploit unless you intend on completing the hack. It will cause your iPod to no longer sync with iTunes and be non-restorable, as well as erase all of the contents on the iPod when plugged into the computer. My friend unknowingly went to the site and his iPod is quite a piece of work now:(

2. joshi3joshi macrumors regular

nice warning, im sure lots of curious people would go to that site!! nice!:)

3. isaac17 macrumors member

4. iLoveiPod macrumors regular

Ok, same thing happened to me, but it is fixable...Heres what i did.

First, after i went to the site, the ipod crashed (as it was supposed to). After plugging into the computer, it said it only had a 300mb capacity.

I tried to restore it, then it said it failed to be restored. When i clicked restore again, it said "contacting apple update." I clicked cancel, then it came up with the update screen again. I clicked continue, it successfully updated and is working like the day i got it. I just had to put all the music and vids back on. So just keep trying to update. His ipod isnt a brick or anything.

5. mthanded macrumors member

It can be restored. Hold sleep and home for 25 seconds. You will be in restore mode. It will have a picture of an ipod cable and the itunes logo. :)

6. joshi3joshi macrumors regular

when you jailbreak your ipod, does it HAVE to go through a restore?

in other words, when you hack your ipod touch, does all you data and music get deleted?

7. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

TWENTY FIVE SECONDS? Wow...

8. zsno thread starter macrumors member

9. fdmendez macrumors member

I can confirm that it is restorable. I just restored my Touch after attempting to hack it. I had some SSH problems and I hope starting over fresh will fix it.

10. Sir. Cheesecake macrumors member

How did you restore yours? HOldikng the power and home button doesnt seem to work.

11. Adorada macrumors member

It's restorable, but mainly what it does is rename your itunes library to another name. It doesn't completely delete it, just renames it, later in the guide it asks you to change some file names. Once that is done then you have your whole libarary back. Just did this and works perfect.

12. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

To get restore to work, Hold down the sleep and home buttons at the same time, until the screen flashes and the iPod turns off.

-RELEASE the sleep button and keep holding the home button. Wait about 15-25 seconds, and you should be able to restore through iTunes.

You MUST be plugged into iTunes this whole time!

13. Dublo7 macrumors regular

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Oh god, I thought I bricked my iPod. None of the above methods were working.

Oh man... relief has washed over me :D

14. cmuench macrumors member

15. California King macrumors 65816

Those instructions are insanely confusing! I hope something easier comes out..

16. Lin macrumors member

T'is not that bad... just follow them, carefully :)
    Oh... be sure to have a MacIntel, or it won't work ...

17. California King macrumors 65816

I read something about waiting for the GUI? Can someone please elaborate? My guess is that instead of typing in all that code into terminal, there's a GUI that will guide you through it or something?

18. fdmendez macrumors member

ya, that's exactly it. Well, sort of. They're trying to make the process simpler. As for a GUI application that will only require a few clicks, that's unlikely. What's more likely is that it'll be easier and instead of typing most of the stuff, you'll be pointing and clicking but it will still probably require some time consuming steps.

19. parrotheadmjb macrumors 6502

i held down the sleep and home button until it turned off, then released the sleep button and continued to hold down the home button. itunes doesnt recognize the ipod AND the screen on the ipod remains completely off. any ideas?

20. ShanePod macrumors member

have to have a macintel so my macmini g4 won't work?

21. recover82 macrumors member

recover82

I would wait it out if I were you. Doesn't this fellow need to wait for a PPC compatible version of iPhuc?

22. Barnard macrumors newbie

could we get this thread made into a sticky thread?

It could be useful for people who navigate to the page accidently, it should be a sticky until Apple patch the exploit.