Warning Apple posted about Jet Black iPhone 7/7+...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SRLMJ23, Sep 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

This is posted at the bottom of the iPhone 7 website about the Jet Black version. Just thought some people would like to know about it if they are considering getting that color:

"2. The high-gloss finish of the Jet Black iPhone 7 is achieved through a precision nine-step anodization and polishing process. Its surface is equally as hard as other anodized Apple products; however, its high shine may show fine micro-abrasions with use. If you are concerned about this, we suggest you use one of the many cases available to protect your iPhone."

Just a heads up!

:apple:

2. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

It good they actually wrote up something like that. It should be pretty obvious though. Anything high gloss will always show scratches fairly easily, especially when it's high gloss pure black.

I can't wait for all the threads to come out on the 16th or 17th people moaning about having scratches already. Slate black on the 5 had scuffgate, jet black on the 7/7+ people will overreact and we'll have scratchgate.

3. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I dont think that would be called a "Warning". Informational, certainly. But not a warning.

4. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

I really want this one, but I think the 'micro' scratches would drive me nuts.

5. foxconn Suspended

Meh.. Not enough to bother me. It's gonna look like my old 3GS

6. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

Same here! I really want this one, however, I do not think I can deal with micro scratches. I cannot even deal with fingerprint marks/dust/other random stuff that gets on my iDevices! Might have to go with just Black. Having a hard time figuring out if I should get the 7 or the 7+. I have never gotten a Plus model phone but that dual lens camera is crazy BUT ...I am not a big picture taker. So I do not know what to do! Ahh, first world problems, haha!

7. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

There have already been several threads about this. MR also had a front page news story about it.

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/09/07/apple-jet-black-fine-micro-abrasions/

8. IndianBird macrumors 6502a

9. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Apple's covering their backside so as to avoid having to hand out replacements like candy.

10. Rob198612 macrumors 6502

I will only be bothered by the scratches and scuffs if it came like the out of the box!! It's jet black so I expect it to scratch a little bit under normal use with clear case.

11. willmtaylor, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Have to hand 'em out like candy bc people throw fits like babies. Smart move.

12. PhillyGuy72 macrumors 6502a

PhillyGuy72

Oh brother, I expect scratches of course...but if they have to put a disclaimer like this, I dont know, sounds like it's extremely sensitive. That Jet Black is the one I love too!

[​IMG]

13. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

It's not so much that it's extremely sensitive, it's more that fact it's jet black and high gloss. That combo just shows imperfections WAY more easily than if it was just about any other colour. Even in cars, pure black is one of the harder colours to paint for the same reason. Imperfections stand out far more.

Personally I will be getting a jet black 7+ Only that first real noticeable scratch will hurt, but once that's out of the way it will just be a "meh, whatever" thing when more happen.

14. foxconn Suspended

I would suggest getting a bestskinsever skin for the back. That's what I'll be doing.

15. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I posted about this early but it got buried in all the "Why I wont be buying the 7" threads :rolleyes:

16. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Juan007

Yup, some of you may be too young to remember the 3GS. After 6 months to a year, the typical 3GS was scratched TO HELL. It looked like a cat attacked it.

17. PhillyGuy72 macrumors 6502a

PhillyGuy72

Yep, you nailed it on the head! I have a black Nissan and I notice every damn tiny little scratch. I admit I get a little OCD about trying to get rid of it..lol. The iPhone 4 I had a prtective Zagg skin on the back, no scratches at all in 2 years...I will get a case but I would love one that is clear to see the glossy shine. What can I say, Im picky :)

I still think it will be the most popular model, which scares me a little come tomorrow night...the site may freeze up...or the Apple Store app, next thing I know my order placed then "expected ship date" will be "Early October" (Having flashbacks to my Space Gray 6+ during pre-order) Anyway I'll give it a shot. Oh...but that wait between tommorrw night and the day it arrives, checking UPS status, flight Aware etc etc...it feels like a lifetime. heheh

18. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

I always use a case on my phone anyway. Not really sure why I care what color phone I have though I prefer the black bezel for some reason.

19. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I was considering getting the Jet Black but I'm afraid even putting the case on and off would staff leaving marks. I'm going with Black and later down the road might switch to the Jet.

20. JohnApples macrumors 65816

Jet black is going to cause hell for some members here. People returning their phones day/week 1 due to micro scratches and minuscule display inconsistencies... Can't imagine how they'll possibly cope with such a glossy surface.

21. PhillyGuy72 macrumors 6502a

PhillyGuy72

My friend said this exact same thing to me..she makes a good point. I did settle for a white iPhone 5 (On launch day, no one had any of the phones in stock - except the ATT store and only in white.) I never wanted a white phone but I gave in, it had a black case completely hiding any white for 2 years.

Off topic a little...I love the animated blue blob lock screen..I want it ASAP! It's the little things.

22. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

Yep, I have a black Hyundai Elantra with the metallic paint and boy do I notice ANY scratch, piece of dirt, fingerprints etc. Glossy Black is a pain in the A-S-S to deal with, that is why I am seriously thinking about getting just the "Black" model.

23. MS_Hedrick macrumors member

MS_Hedrick

Yep,

Jet Black will scratch, case or not

A skin or case friendly clear body protectors will be big sellers to the Jet Black set

24. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

I imagine it will be like the stainless steel Apple Watch users nitpicking every micro scratch when that released, but x1000.

25. Rangers94 macrumors regular

Rangers94

Just solidifies my matte black choice. Imo the matte looks more rugged with a nice stealthy look. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.