Warning Before You Buy A New Imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by raynold2010, Aug 18, 2010.

1. raynold2010 macrumors member

I was one of the first to buy that machine, and now, I'm consumed with anger.

I have exactly the same problems as the guy here :

http://www.techulous.com/news/the-new-2010-imacs-and-poor-quality-control.html

"We don't sell junk" said Jobs... yeah, sure.
    SHAME ON YOU APPLE !!!

Had I read this before, I would at least have ordered the 2TB model, to avoid the noisy Seagate HDD. And the "dog whistle" has to be repaired in a Apple store. I don't have time for this.

I will never, never buy another Apple computer right after its release in the future. And I advise you to do the exact same thing. They're going cheap just like everybody else. :mad:

UPDATE

Check out the third page to see how the things worked out for me.

2. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

Sucks to be you, you'll see no sympathy from me. If every man-made device were perfect there wouldn't be any need for a warranty.

3. clager macrumors member

4. Chubby Davis macrumors member

When Apple hits 300 for x-mas . I'll come back and read this again.

5. leman macrumors 604

My new iMac 27 is perfect. The HDD is more on the loudish side when active, but nothing really annoying. I think that far more people are getting good iMacs then bad ones.

6. dtakias macrumors member

For a computer that can cost $2000+ and uses old technology(GPU,Chipset...) is absolutely ridiculous to have those problems.

Apple, as one of the most profitable companies ever, they should be able to come up with a new quality control strategy and reduce the number of returns/exchanges.

I might as well wait for Sandy Bridge upgrade to get my new iMac...

7. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

Wrong. Thats extremely cheap considering the power and value, especially in this slumping economy with the poor $ value. Would you rather be paying $4000-$8000 for a decent desktop computer like I was in 1985? If so, My AT&T PC6300 is for sale.

8. Razeus macrumors 601

Why you guy pay $2000 for old tech is absolutely ridiculous in the first place. :confused:

9. dtakias macrumors member

You call that extremely cheap? Over in UK where I live that translates to £1700. Maybe I am extremely poor or you don't know what you are talking about.

Their top of the range CPU+GPU these days is not that expensive. This is almost late 2010 and not 2009. Let go of the past, this is not 1985, computer hardware is not meant to be that overpriced but cheap and available to everyone these days.

10. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

The cpus in the iMacs are lynnfields, which is intel's latest performance grade quad core nehalem chips. The clarkdales in the lower end iMacs were unveiled this year as well.

The gpus in the iMacs are mobility 5k series gpus, and they were introduced quarter 1 of this year. The iMacs use P55 chipset, which is current and top-of-the-line.

If you're going to wait for sandybridge, you might as well spend an extra year and wait for ivybridge, right? Don't wait on technology, you'll always be waiting for the next best thing. The current iMacs use uptodate high-end tech.

11. raynold2010 thread starter macrumors member

I asked for a refund and must wait three weeks until maybe I will have another one this time with SSD. I love Apple but this new model is sure a rotten one.

12. dtakias macrumors member

Thanks for the heads up, I am aware of he 45nm lynnfields and 32nm clarkdales. You are correct they are not that old. Only if they could have gone with those CPUs,even the lower i3s, for the new mac mini!

When comes to the GPUs why not stick with the 5xxx series for all new iMacs and use the old 4xxx for the entry level? Another one of those clever marketing tricks from Apple to force people by the most expensive ones.

The P55 is not a bad chipset but would be better if they offered it with 6Gb/s SATA support, sorry if I am mistaken!

I agree that if you wait for the next big thing you will end up waiting for ever. It's other improvements that I am also waiting for like USB3/new firewire. If Intel release Sandy Bridge end of this year how likely is an iMac refresh middle of next year ?

13. byron_hinson macrumors 6502

Done the same - can't wait around for a 4th time for a replacement with such a high chance of a fault of some kind and their help line at least in the UK is pretty poor as well.

Heck even the Apple Store in Cambridge need some kind of retraining or better organisation. Phone up - they say they have i7 27" in stock as it is advertised in store. Go in, assistant says yes we have them in store, another assistant says no they don't, another says yes they do - they go check, they don't. Repeat

14. mlblacy macrumors 6502

A warning. On newbie posts...

yeah me too... I sent mine back 14 times, and they all howled like a dog whistle. The screens were all a horrible shade of yellow... blah, blah, blah..
    And my cousin had a neighbor who had the same exact experience. Really.

Just about to place the order on an i7, quad core 27. I have zero fears about the quality. If it IS defective, I will return it for another. Simple. End of story.
    Anyone else wonder if some of these folks are getting paid to stoke the fear and uncertainty?

Also, how many folks who actually experience NO problems take the time to post, and say... the sky is blue, the grass is green, everything is fine. I guess I have to do that in a month to offset the fear mongering that is going on.

Here is a good piece of advice. Buy AppleCare. Don't worry so much. Apple has the best tech support I have ever run into. If you have a REAL issue they will fix it. Period.

And now I am waiting for the inevitable... "I have a dead pixel" threads to start, lol.
    cheers,
    michael

15. dtakias macrumors member

In the Southampton store, they think that the screen issues have been resolved long time ago! When I tried to explain they turned defensive and thought that I was just talking rubbish!

16. ecks618 macrumors 6502

ecks618

Yep, like Michael said if it has a problem, take it back and get a replacement. Mine had a loose hinge and I had it changed the next day for a brand new one. I took it out to inspect it at the Apple store, powered it on, checked everything out before putting it back in the box and taking it home.

I suggest everyone that buys one at the Apple store tests it out before taking it home, it will not only prevent you from having to carry the 40lb machine back but will also prevent these kinds of threads.

17. senc01a macrumors regular

I guess that you are right....
    After reading a lot about the HDD in this forum, I decided to go for the 2TB model (previous imac 27) and I've had no complains so far.

Sorry about that.

18. clager macrumors member

more tinted screens!

Oops!! beware of the red tint! the yellow is gone.:p

19. JHorstmann macrumors member

Hmmm

I have the 1 TB model and it works wonderfully. Sometimes your the windshield and sometimes your the bug. I think the OP's comments were a little harsh- have fun finding an all-in-one PC that doesn't make noise and .... well... works.

20. mlblacy macrumors 6502

Are you changing the configuration of your replacement???

This sounds like you are adding in the SSD option on your replacement... Which may have something to do with the time delay. Frankly, when somebody makes a spec change I always suspect it is more a case of buyers regret, than a real technical defect. if Apple is allowing you to do so you should count your your blessings, move on... And stop starting inflammatory threads on how bad Apple is...

If the specs are the same, the SSD machines could be on a longer ship time. My experience with Apple is that they are extremely fast. Furthermore, my last repair to my aging white 24" was done within hours. My screen was dead at 8am, I drove to the Apple store for a 10am appointment, I was back on my way home before 1pm with a new video card in the iMac. Simply amazing service, period.

Not wanting to overly bash the OP, but these 10 page threads about real/possibly not real issues may give the wrong impression to some. Perhaps that is the intent, perhaps not. I always find it interesting to go back and see what other threads these posters have iniated or participated in. Clearly some folks have anterior motives. Some genuinely have legitimate issues, and usually good advice is given to deal with them. Just an observation...
    Peace,
    Michael

21. Cavepainter macrumors regular

Well, I have an i7 2.93 and it is perfect. Wanted the Mac Pro but got tired of the endless waiting and Apple runaround.... plus I had freelance work to do the first night-right out of the gate so I feel I made a smart decision. I would be still waiting for that mac pro today. So I'm happy.

Ive been very impressed with mine. No screen issues, no whistles, no hard drive noise- nothing but a really fast machine with a beautiful monitor. After working on such a nice large monitor, I don't see how I could go back to a Mac Pro.... and I don't wanna blow 700 bucks to get a monitor on top of that already expensive "PRO Premium Appletax"

Mine is a USA assembled one with a WD hard drive by the way. From what I'm hearing on multiple threads, those seem to have the lowest incidence rate so far.

Two pieces of advice for prospective imac buyers, Number one,- Id say look for one of those US assembled ones if you're buying the 27's. It will say assembled in usa right on the box. Number two,- buy applecare. Then, you don't need to stress out about it. I would never buy such an expensive machine without it.

22. Taank macrumors member

Reading these forums scared the crap out of me. My first apple computer purchase a few weeks ago. 21.5" iMac. It's very nice. Quiet, cool, looks good. This forum made me look like a retard when it first got delivered. If there was video of me, everyone would have a good laugh watching me stare at the thing for yellow tint, put my ear to the thing listening for noises.

In the end, I have windows 7 on it, and I am not the biggest fan of the glossy screen. Aside from that, hardware wise, this is very well designed.

For what it's worth,
    -Taank

23. kryptonitejesus macrumors member

24. IndustrialSpace macrumors 6502a

Exactly.

Who cares if it has some yellow blemishes and buzzes a little. Be happy you have a computer. :rolleyes:

25. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

ATI 4670M is a huge step from those crappy IGPs that were used before. There isn't a 5xxxM card that could really replace the 4670M. 5470M is a lot slower and 5650M is too close to the 5730M (i.e. Apple's "5670"). IMO 4670M was a great choice because it's still a capable chip and drivers exist already jadajada. Easy and cheap choice for Apple

No Intel chipset supports SATA 6Gb/s or USB 3.0 as of yet. SATA 6Gb/s is likely to be introduced with Cougar Point (P67, H67 and Q67) but USB 3.0 ain't coming before Patsburg (X68). SATA 6Gb/s wouldn't change your life at all because no single mechanical HD can max out the speed of SATA 3Gb/s. Even SSDs are mainly SATA 3Gb/s, especially the ones that Apple use