Warning: Best Buy Canada Misrepresenting Apple Extreme Base Station Model #: MD031AMA

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Prynce, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Prynce macrumors member

Warning, check the model numbers on your product boxes before you buy at Best Buy Canada representatives are misrepresenting Apple Extreme Base Station Model #: MD031AMA as the new current 5th Gen Airport Extreme Model: MD031LL/A

When calling the store and online web store team they both indicated they were shipping the 5th Gen Airport Extreme even though there website has the old model number with a release date of July 2011.

P.S. I just want people who may have let idea of checking the model number slip by in their process of buying to reminded to keep an eye for this so as not to be fooled into buying a 4th generation model.

2. skorpien, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2011

skorpien macrumors 68020

MD031AM/A is the Canadian model number. MD031LL/A is the United States model number. They're the same model, only the country code is different. If what you're saying is true, Apple is misrepresenting it themselves (check the model number in the URL of the Canadian Apple store).

Edit: Every country has differing regulations on radio spectrum usage, thus Apple would need to make sure to release different models of its AirPort Base Stations that comply with these regulations.

Please do some research before spreading your misinformation.

Edit 2: FYI, the previous model number was MC340LL/A, or MC340AM/A in Canada...

3. Prynce, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2011

Prynce thread starter macrumors member

Either you or Apple (which I am leaning toward based on the url below) is wrong because I chatted Apple (Canada Website) Live chat and they said the correct model number is MD031LL/A for Canada!!!!! However, I never realized the model number was in the URL as I was looking for the model number on the page but couldn't find it, didn't think of checking the url i.e....

http://store.apple.com/ca/product/MD031AM/A/AirPort-Extreme?fnode=MTY1NDA0Mg&mco=MjI5NTk3NDk

P.S. I did my research to the best I could and was being fed misinformation, my only mistake may have been believing Apple Representatives over BestBuy, however one would hope Apples own staff would know what they are talking about.

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

My apologies then, I didn't realize you'd spoken with an Apple rep. Unfortunately, I have found that often times the people in these forums are more knowledgeable than some reps you may encounter. Granted, I can see their confusion as other Apple products do use the country code LL/A for both Canada and the US. I do believe it's the government regulations on products utilizing a wireless radio that require Apple's routers to have different model numbers.

5. ZipZap macrumors 601

Seems to me the OP is saying that MD031AMA is 4th gen. Dont believe that every apple rep you talk too knows their products...

skorpien's explanation make perfect sense to me and adding the product to the cart reveals the AMA product number...so I think your apple rep was wrong.