Warning: Careful installing children's apps on the iPad!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Altered3, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Altered3 macrumors newbie

For the first 6 months I had my iPad, I stuck to productivity apps, Netflix/Youtube, and Safari. My two kids weren't very interested in it. Then I saw a really cute interactive children's book on the iTunes store, and couldn't resist. Bad idea! The past two days, it's been a battle to wrestle the iPad out of the hands of my 3-year-old and 5-year-old. Now their old iPhone 2g (without SIM card) and iPod Touch aren't good enough for those two!

Well, now I guess I'm a good candidate to buy an iPad 2... Or maybe I should delete that children's book, and hope they forget it ever existed.

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

All work and no play makes the iPad a dull device.

3. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

Just make sure you set up the iPad so that it requires a password for in-app purchases, because you might find yourself paying hundreds of dollars to see Dora with a myriad of new backpacks.

4. Altered3 thread starter macrumors newbie

LOL yeah thanks for that reminder... I've disabled in-app purchases on the other iGadgets, need to do that for the iPad too.

5. redman042 macrumors 68020

Oh, NOW YOU TELL ME!
    :p

Yeah, my 2 year old LOVES my iPad. I've got a whole page of kids apps on it plus several of her favorite shows, so it's no wonder she's into it.

It's a double-edge sword really. On the one hand, it can be a source of major drama. On the other hand, the iPad makes things 100x easier with our toddler at times... such as an airplane trip or just going to a restaurant. The iPad (and even the iPhone) is the ultimate pacifier for a child. Parents of 2 year olds generally give up on going to restaurants for several years. So far, we've still been able to get away with it, but only because we have the iPad to entertain her when she gets really bored. We try not to over-do it, but it's there when we need it.

So I think I'm just going to have to live with a little competition over the device. But at least I'm getting my money's worth out of the thing.

6. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I wish there was a Users/account option to lock down settings, and restrict certain Apps from different users.

7. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

I really would like to see multiple user support also.

I do a lot of business wih my iPad, and I'd hate to be at a clients and discover that my Numbers or Goodreader app has been deleted. :eek:

It would be nice to give my son his own account for slingshotting birds around and not have to worry that important stuff won't be there the next morning.

I think we'll need to wait for a bit more Flash memory (64 is plenty for one users files, but probably not for 2 or 3 family members.)

The iPod Touch has the same issue.

8. Kestrel452 macrumors regular

If I got an iPad for business utility, I'd be sure as hell to not let some toddler start tinkering with it. Ya need to draw the line man, no kids touchin the iPad :)

9. Imsuperjp macrumors 6502

Do what I did. Buy your kid their own iPad.

Yes my kid is a little spoiled.

10. Altered3 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd love to, but I think my wife would get the next one. And if I got one for a kid, there would be fights until they both had one. Next thing I know, the dog would want one. So I'm drawing a line in the sand... We all share this iPad!

11. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

My kid is turning 18 in a few weeks here. Instead of doing the "no touchy daddy's iPad" my approach is more along the line of, "Get a job and buy your own iPad dag-nabbit! And get off my lawn!!!"

12. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

You need to be careful around friends too. When I use it to do some work they always want to like surf the internet or something else on there

13. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

Haha, thank you for the wonderful laugh!

14. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

This is my iPad. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My iPad is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my iPad is useless. Without my iPad, I am lonely. I must stay my iPad true. I must use logical arguments straighter than my enemy, who is trying to ridicule me. I must undermine him and his Android, before he Flash"es" me. I will. Before God I swear this creed: my iPad and myself are defenders of my little world, we are the masters of our destiny, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no jailbreak, but a universally acceptable iOS release. Amen.

Basically, I don't share gadgets (or virgin printed material like magazines or newspapers - but then again I've got a few OCD's).

15. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

This made me LOLZ....too funny.

16. redman042 macrumors 68020

Maybe one day when she's older, but there's the issue of it almost certainly getting broken at some point, plus if a child has their own iPad, they are going to use it way too often and not get a balanced day of active play. It may be better (and certainly cheaper) just to share.

17. REBELinBLUE macrumors regular

:D So true, whenever I go to my sister's house my 2 year old niece tells me off if I don't have my iPad with me, and then since she knows I will have my iPhone so asks for that instead.

I actually find it quite interesting watching her use it, shows just how intuitive it is

18. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

Dogs show surprisingly little interest in iPads, as it happens, but do not let your cat near one or else you'll learn what territorial instinct means.

It will be the cat's iPad from that moment onward, but she might let you use it while she naps.

19. Bozley0621 macrumors 6502

Semper Fi to the Apple. Have you memorized the sereal number on your iPad?

20. redman042 macrumors 68020

Me too. My daughter is just a couple months past the age of 2, and she can sit there and use it like a pro. She opens and closes apps, flicks through pages of apps, pinch-zooms, you name it. She doesn't understand what most of the on-screen buttons are actually doing, but she sure knows the basics of the UI very well, and learned it just through experimentation.