Warning: Careful when you take/save photos

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by tempusfugit, Oct 12, 2011.

1. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

I seriously can't believe this, but anyway:

I was just /b/rowsing the web earlier and came upon a funny albeit obscene image. I held down my finger on the screen to save it to show someone later, and now its in my photostream and there's literally NO WAY TO ****** DELETE IT.

Just a fair word of warning.

2. Theraker007 macrumors regular

I keep photostream OFF.. there is no need for this .. at all

3. The Poet macrumors member

You can clear Photostream in the Account settings on iCloud.com

4. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

LOL. No but seriously how to I keep this iCloudy BS from leaking photos on my phone...lol

5. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

The only thing that is going to iCloud for me are my bookmarks and Notes...nothing else!

6. dazed macrumors 6502a

I'm sure many people will run into this problem.

I wonder who will be the first to take a naughty photo of their girlfriend only to find out their wife sees it on the apple tv :)

7. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Yep keep telling yourselves that.. Apple will have us all in trouble soon enough. It started with Lion involuntarily re-opening closed windows and apps.. now it's in the Cloud. Big brother is watching you. Trust me.

8. tempusfugit thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, it appears you are right.

I reset it a half hour ago andd the pic is still in the photostream on my ipad, iphone, and imac. Nothing seems to have reset. I'll chalk this one up to day 1 jitters. Here's to hoping its gone in the morning.

9. The Poet macrumors member

I can't wait for the boys taking pictures of their wieners on a family-shared iCloud account.

10. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

/b/rah, I know that feel.

11. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Less likely. More like mommy finding out about your naughty new girlfriend...just saying

12. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

It specifically tells you when you reset it that no photos are removed from any device, only iCloud. You have to turn off photo stream from each device which will then delete those pictures.

13. BigDukeSix macrumors 6502a

BigDukeSix

I thought of this as soon as iOS 5 was announced. I damn sure do not want ANY of my pics in the cloud.

14. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Why are you on /b/ in the first place...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w6m-tBHlgw
    This will take care of all of your /b/tarding needs. iCloud.com

15. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

I tried what it said in the video and it doesn't delete it on mine either...I just added a random one for a test...this thing will NOT delete.

16. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Hmm...it seems to only work on Macs.
    Ignore my comment; move along.:p

17. mainevent1536 macrumors member

mainevent1536

Turn off photo stream on both your iDevice and iPhoto. Then reset photo stream through iCloud.com. Turn photo stream back on, on your iDevice and iPhoto and photos should be gone.

18. ryanpfw macrumors member

The photo stream is the worst designed feature I've ever found in any version of Apple software going back to the 1980s. Instead of syncing the camera roll amongst all devices, it makes it nearly impossible to delete photos. I took a number of sample photos around the house tonight. They synced to my macbook, and after trying for over two hours, I've found a ridiculously intensive way of deleting them.

If you disable photostream on just the iphone, it will reload the images as soon as you reenable it. If you disable photostream on the macbook, it will reload the images as soon as you reenable it. If you go onto icloud.com and delete the photostream from there (That's nice and simple for a company that prides itself on "it just works" - go to a website inaccessible from idevices...), it still will not work. You need to disable photostream on all of your idevices, and delete the photos from iphoto's photo section, and delete them from icloud.com, and then reactivate the feature on each device, one at a time.

Be careful snapping photos. If you don't delete bad shots in the first couple of seconds after taking them, you'll be up half the night trying to do it.

This feature would be quite useful to those of us who may not like to have to synch the camera to upload photos, etc.

iOS 5 makes it infinitely easier to go back to cords.

19. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

That works.

Man I'm no tech building guy but PhotoStream is terrible.

It should stream every photo to the cloud through all the other devices...

Then it should let you pick and choose which ones you want.

I don't like how it's built into iPhoto...I wish they had a separate icon in iCloud to allow you to edit Photos the way you can mess with the Calendar and Contacts.

20. BigDukeSix macrumors 6502a

BigDukeSix

Is off the default for photostream? I hope so, as I do not want photo's flying all over the place as soon as I get set up.
    And, where is the photostream sharing option in iPhoto located?
    Thx!

21. mainevent1536 macrumors member

mainevent1536

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

It is off by default. Also through iCloud on your Mac under system preferences you should be able to activate photo stream through iPhoto. You can also activate by opening up iPhoto.