Warning/confirmation message Do you really want to copy/move files.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sasha55, May 31, 2011.

1. Sasha55 macrumors newbie

Hello,
    i’m new in mac os, and i can’t understand one point. Why there is no warning/confirmation message when i copy/move files in Finder or some other file manager? It’s so easy to move your files somewhere without even noticing that you did something. :confused: May bethere is some settings that can change this behaviour. :confused:

P.S. I don’t mean the warning message that comes when you replace exiting files/folders.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Because it happens all the time. If there was a warning every time you moved a file, the number of people whining on this board would be higher than it already is.

I don't find it that easy to move files without consciously knowing I'm doing it.

3. simsaladimbamba

Is there a warning in Windows?
    I often copy and move files around, such warning system would be frustrating.

Btw, you can always undo such accidental move or copy processes.

4. kalsta macrumors 68000

kalsta

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You get a warning when moving/copying files between two zones. On a home PC you generally won't see that. On a work one, you could be interacting with different zones.

6. simsaladimbamba

What are "zones"?

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Zones are one way windows uses to handle security on network resources. For instance on one of my servers this shows up on the lower right hand corner on the file explorer. When I try to copy files from this server to another I get prompted.
    [​IMG]

On another server the security is low so it shows this and I don't get prompted when I move/copy files
    [​IMG]

8. simsaladimbamba

Ah, thanks.