Warning do not buy iPhone 6 or 6 Plus from Craigslist / eBay / Online

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Allthings-I, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Allthings-I macrumors 6502

A friend that was desperate for a iPhone recently paid someone on Craigslist for a iPhone 6, he said they went to the store and did the upgrade, person seemed genuine and now this is what happened, none the less it's a lesson learned for him, I did warn against it.

See report below, the IMEI still shows as clean on checkesnfree and swappa however it's non blacklisted from Apple which = permanent globally. I did consult some people in the unlocking business and they said this is how att is handling fraud by having Apple remove the iPhone from its IMEI database which is more effective than national blacklist.

Serial Number: F78NDAN3G5MJ
    IMEI: 352065061837818
    Part Description: IPHONE 6 GOLD 64GB AT&T-USA
    Product Version:
    ICCID:
    Initial Policy ID: 23
    Applied Policy ID:
    Next Tether Policy ID: 15
    Activation Policy Description: US AT&T Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands Activation Policy
    Next Tether Activation Policy: Blacklist.
    Unlocked: false

I already know better my self, figured I'd give you all a heads up

2. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

How are both of these statements possible, if the iPhone was truly removed from the database. Couldn't the Apple store tell your friend that?

3. CEmajr macrumors 601

So exactly what are you saying happened?

AT&T somehow knows the person sold the phone and blocked it from their network instantly via Apple servers? Sounds strange to me. Never heard of this. They normally only block phones when a person doesn't pay their bill or reports it lost/stolen. Technically as long as the customer is paying his bill then he's fulfilling his obligation to AT&T for the phone.

4. synonys macrumors member

synonys

The only way I can see the imei being removed or not there at all is if the phone was stolen before being registered as sold

5. Allthings-I thread starter macrumors 6502

It wasn't purchased from Apple Store, it was purchased from a AT&T store.

Thats the story I was told, I didn't ask about facts much and instead inquired into the IMEI it self, and the IMEI report is whats the most important part of the puzzle.

I think its a step forward at the end of the day, too many people on craigslist are buying phones and selling them and leaving lots of people screwed over. My friend said he received the phone in hand still sealed and he later when got home tried to activate the device with his Straight Talk SIM and it didn't work.

I am not sure if it was a new activation or upgrade, but AT&T blocked the IMEI with Apple. Its still clean on the national blacklist databases (checkesnfree and swappa provide those checks free)

Lots of sketchy people out there, if one is going to spend big bucks, might as well spend a $100 or $200 more and just buy direct from Apple store.

----------

Or was marked as "Lost" or "Stolen" before activation and maybe that is why AT&T was able to have Apple blacklist it.

unlock provider told me that Normally for unpaid bills/reported lost / stolen AT&T puts the IMEI on national blacklist and customer cannot use the device on any network in USA and Canada even if unlocked. However many people get the devices unlocked and use them internationally, so this seems like step forward to blocking that from happening.

as the "Blacklist" Next Tether Activation Policy = Worldwide block from what I have been told.

At the end of the day, I am just relaying information and warning people to save their money. Go buy from Apple or store your self and no such issues will occur.

Used smartphone market is nothing but a nightmare these days.