Warning: Do not install Evernote update!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by emt1, Mar 11, 2009.

1. emt1 macrumors 65816

For those of you who use Evernote, I advise that you DO NOT install the update released today.

1. There is a forced advertisement for Evernote premium at the bottom left hand corner of the window.

2. You can NOT disable Evernote clipper anymore. The icon is next to the clock on your menu bar all the time.

3. Evernote installs a new startup process called "Evernote helper"

Bad!

2. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

Thanks for posting. I use it a lot and will not update yet.

3. Ol!ver macrumors 6502a

Maybe it's just me but I've not read anything there that makes me not want the update.

4. emt1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Go ahead then. Enjoy the new startup process and memory hog.

5. Ol!ver macrumors 6502a

I don't see it running a helper as a huge memory hog. The new clipper makes it worth it for me in itself.

To each their own though.

6. MegaMan1311 macrumors regular

I say install it. Its a nice update.

Your complaints and my responses:
    1) Kinda Valid complaint. But is it REALLY that big a deal? Its a little square in the bottom left corner of your screen. Also, it is a free application. Is it really wrong of them to put a few ads on? You are not paying for it, and they allow the paying users to remove it. Is one little ad that big of a deal when they are giving you 40 mb of space a month and are giving you updates to a great program?

2) A valid complaint. I do understand that you do not want the icon up there. They'll probably fix this soon.

3) A process like that is not a big deal. It takes... what? Half a second to start it up and it takes .01% of your processor during use? Memory hog? Only if you only have 128mb of ram installed. Most Macs now come with 1gb or 1024mb of ram installed now.

Why you should install it:
    1) Growl support. Have you ever wondered if that image had been processed? Or maybe if that note was finally clipped? Now you know.
    Don't know what Growl is? Go to growl.info I highly recommend it for any Mac user.

2) Safari Web Clipper (Has issues in Safari 4, but they are working on it). It allows you to easily clip any webpage out of Safari. You can even clip a PDF of the page, so they page looks exactly the same as on the web. SO much better than the old clipper.

3) Works better with Safari 4 Beta. Safari 4 Beta caused issues with Evernote. Now they are fixed (except the web clipper)

4) Bug fixes. Enough said.

For me, I would download it for JUST #4, regardless of the issues. I consider #1 and #2 to be killer updates.

7. sl1200mk2 macrumors 6502

Paying for the premium service was so completely worth it for me. I seriously don't know what I did before Evernote. Well, I do know, but One Note is a joke compared to it.

8. Ol!ver macrumors 6502a

I'd be very interested in hearing what you use Evernote for.

9. brand macrumors 601

brand

So you are saying that most new Macs come with 1GB or 1GB of RAM installed? 1GB and 1024MB are the same thing.

10. chinarut macrumors member

my 2 cents & a few questions re: uninstalling:

I just learned the "hard way" the past 2 days rebuilding my dad's iMac that it's possible to go from the login screen to the desktop in less than a second and that all these startup processes on my macbook skyrocket to 25s even upgrading from 1GB to 3GB (bottleneck appears to be the CPU and HDD)

now I'm not pointing fingers at Evernote but it would have been nice to know that a "helper" was going to be installed (admittedly I didn't read the fine print and/or install notes)

I'm not actively using Evernote these days - what is the safest way to uninstall it? Just remove it from my login items? Is there anything else I need to remove? Can't find anything definitive on Google.

I was a bit bothered it ran automatically when I logged in as administrator the other day. I would have preferred it be on a per user basis (again, perhaps I was given a choice on install).

Be willing to revisit Evernote again - I will say there is promise in regards to integrating all the systems we use to collect notes these days!

11. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

There should have been a comma there.

"Most Macs come with 1GB, or 1024MB, of RAM."

12. chinarut macrumors member

well - we now know most [new] macs come with 2GB and 4GB to get this thread up to speed :)

13. emt1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Forgot to mention that I saved the dmg for the version of Evernote just before they started forced advertisements and background processes. PM me if you want it.

14. chameleon81 macrumors 6502

I dont understand how you can compare Evernote to OneNote? 90% of Onenote functionality does not exist on Evernote . ( I use Evernote and I like it but I dont see any similarities )

15. sl1200mk2 macrumors 6502

That's pretty much my point. There is no comparison! My job requires me to have near instant access to a lot of reference materials I've previously run across no matter where I am (in front of a computer or not). One Note was my only prior experience for any sort of application like this on Windows which obviously lacks any sort of remote features. I would have to rely on remote desktop access to my notes. When I moved to the MAC for personal use I found Evernote and subsequently use it for work use (on Vista) as well. I was *trying* to use One Note like you'd use Evernote.

I put everything, both personal and work related in Evernote. Between the multi-machine use and the iphone application I use it constantly, all day. It's really become my central repository for all things especially with the premium subscription and my ability to place just about any time of file in a note. From PDF, Word, Excel, my software license keys, whatever -- it goes into a note and categorized folder in Evernote.

It's just an amazing application. I'd be lost without it!

16. åidån Guest

New Zealand
    I know I'm reviving this from the dead, but I read something about this process and battery life.

I was getting about 3.5 hours, and now after removing it I can have claims of 6 hours. I doubt I'll get 6, but, still, what a jump. What is the likelihood of this process actually being an issue?

And a question given I'm new to OS X, how do you really remove a login item? I have removed evernotehelper from my login items, however it is restoring itself whenever the process is run, which is whenever you clip something from the web. Given that it runs then anyway, I'm not sure why they need to enforce it as a login item.

17. Jarra macrumors newbie

Jarra

evernote stuffed up my MBA

Couldn't work out why I was getting the spinning beachball at startup. I wanted evernote just for the clipper, so handy to get onto my iphone. But (with the help of Applecare) had to remove it (evernote helper) from the list of startup programs at login. Then got rid of it all together. I will wait for next version before contemplating installing it again.

18. leahra, Aug 12, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012

leahra macrumors newbie

19. Ol!ver macrumors 6502a

Interesting. Can't say Evernote causes any ill-affects with my battery.

20. Ucla74 macrumors newbie

Interesting indeed

I just finished a 3-hour battery-powered MacBook Pro session with Evernote installed and up, and used quite heavily during the session. Still had 40+ minutes of battery power remaining when I shut down.