Warning: Do NOT install GeekTool in Leopard!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by someguy, Jul 3, 2008.

1. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Attention GeekTool and/or Leopard users:

Installing GeekTool on a system with Leopard could cause serious problems!

Having recently upgraded to Leopard, I decided to grab the latest version of GeekTool. After doing so and rebooting, everything would lock up while starting up. By everything, I mean Finder, the Dock, the menubar, I couldn't even open a folder on the Desktop. Opening the Force Quit window and trying to quit or relaunch anything caused that window to lock up too. Literally everything was "Not Responding".

I actually ran Repair Disk, Repair Permissions, and even the Extended Test on my Apple Hardware Test CD, figuring maybe my RAM or HD was having problems.

I ended up booting my machine in Target Disk Mode and deleting the applications that I had in my Login Items list, one by one. I just happened to start with GeekTool because I had already suspected it to be the problem, rebooted and my system runs great now!

Just a heads up for anyone else who may choose to ignore the fact that GeekTool's web site says "...for Panther or Tiger...". :D

2. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

I have been running GeekTool since I got my MacBook with Leopard, about seven months now and counting. Never had problems like you described. The only thing wrong with GeekTool I have experienced is that it randomly disable itself occasionally, requiring a trip to its Prefpane to reset it.

3. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

I had that problem too for a few days, then suddenly, GeekTool wouldn't work at all (it would run, but refuse to display any items I had used in the past).

A few days later (after enabling the menubar icon), I noticed the machine was running sluggish, giving me the spinning beach ball frequently. After a reboot, the system was extremely unstable, and all order was restored after simply removing the GeekTool preference pane.

Glad to hear you are not having any trouble. Hopefully this doesn't happen to anyone else, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to share my experience.

BTW, I'm not knocking GeekTool. It is extremely handy and I used it everyday when I had Tiger. Wish I could use it now... :rolleyes:

4. nak0604 macrumors newbie

Geektool problem

i have just started trying to run geektool and i get this message when i try to enable geektool "preferences need to be updated, please launch geektool preferences

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No issues with my GeekTool for about 3 months now.

6. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Way to resurrect a thread! :D

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Shouldn't this be addressed at nak0604?

8. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Never had a problem with GT and Leopard. Been using it for 6 months now on the MacBook.

9. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

No problems here with GeekTool on my Mac Pro although with
    recent Leopard upgrades it no longer automatically starts even
    though I set it to do so through my User Account login settings.

10. npaler01 macrumors newbie

I ran GeekTools for a couple days and really started getting into some stuff. Everything was going great until I was testing some AppleScript a few hours ago and now when I open GT, I get the rolling beach ball thing and can't click on anything inside of GT. I'm running Leopard 10.5.7 on a new MacBook Pro. I can't tell what the beach ball is waiting for. Anyone else seen this?

I had to remove GT from the PrefPane. I'm going to play with it tomorrow again. I'd really like to use it. It's got some great potential!

thanks!

11. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

12. auhlixer macrumors regular

My iTunes won't load now

and had to force shutdown on reboot

13. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

Need to amend my comments above.

Geektool does work perfectly. I had
    installed a program called "Wallpaper Clocks"
    that hides GEEKTOOL. It was for that
    reason that I could not see that it actually