warning email order reservation scam

Macalway

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
from (order_acknowledgment@orders.apple.com)

Google this email address. It doesn't look good.

Got a very real looking email saying:

"Dear Apple Customer,
Your iPhone has been reserved and your reservation number is: BXXXXXXXX

We will email when we’re able to reach the carrier systems. The email will include instructions to complete your order as well as the return link. You will have 24 hours from the time the email is sent to return to the Apple Online store to proceed with your order. If you do not complete your purchase within 24 hours, your reservation will be canceled.

You may check the status of your reservation at any time by visiting......(link here)

Thank you,
The Apple Online Store"

Entire email format looks real. Thing is, the way you verify things like this, is by going to the 'official' site to check. I did this, and there was no mention of a reservation, or issue with my order-nothing.This would lead me to conclude that this indeed is a phishing email., intended for gather account info.

Last edited:

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
order_acknowledgment@orders.apple.com

Got a very real looking email saying

ear Apple Customer,

We will email when we’re able to reach the carrier systems. The email will include instructions to complete your order as well as the return link. You will have 24 hours from the time the email is sent to return to the Apple Online store to proceed with your order. If you do not complete your purchase within 24 hours, your reservation will be canceled.

You may check the status of your reservation at any time by visiting here

Thank you,
The Apple Online Store

Look very real
Uhm a lot of us got this and verified it’s legit.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
How can it be legit? I didn't reserve anything.
Well a lot of us here on the other thread ordered and got reservation email like u posted. Several already finished their order and actually completed.

Macalway

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
Oh I see, thanks!

Man this is strange. WTF

I checked my order status and saw nothing about a reservation. Are you guys sure about this?
My order looks normal. No reservation, and that res. info is not shown.

Thanks

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
Phishing email.
Just double check with everyone in your house didn't use your email address to order a shiny new X.
I was gonna say that, but I held back. OP It seemed like someone used ur credentials.

Macalway

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
I was gonna say that, but I held back. OP It seemed like someone used ur credentials.
I have no idea. I'm not the only one. Considering how prevalent this type of thing is, this would be a effective scam

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
Well I know when I ordered it asked for. Phone number, zip code, and last 4 of ur social. If anything the order will come with a phone number. Then you’ll know who’s trying to upgrade.

Macalway

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
This not a state that you can request. It is an indication that the Apple systems had trouble contacting your Carrier to verify your information.

Did you order from Apple and did you get a confirmation eMail?

Dave
Yes. like I posted above, I just went to the Apple site and checked my order. Nothing unusual. No mention of a reservation

The email looks like a scam. I'm not going to click this link until I get more info. Apparently others have gotten the same email, which isn't surprising

Last edited:

rrg0323

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2017
It's 100% legit, many threads on this - i received the same email too - bascially they are having trouble contacting your carrier to confirm your account is in good status, etc....

Yes. like I posted above, I just went to the Apple site and checked my order. Nothing unusual. No mention of a reservation

The email looks like a scam. I'm not going to click this link until I get more info. Apparently others have gotten the same email, which isn't surprising

Mshere

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2017
Well a lot of us here on the other thread ordered and got reservation email like u posted. Several already finished their order and actually completed.
Did you receive your email yet? I'm still waiting on them to verify my Verizon carrier. I ordered mine right at 3:00 EST and I'm still waiting on the email they said they would send.

Nobounds

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2017
Did you receive your email yet? I'm still waiting on them to verify my Verizon carrier. I ordered mine right at 3:00 EST and I'm still waiting on the email they said they would send.
I’m Verizon and I haven’t gotten the second email yet

mxb.

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2017
Has anyone else gotten this e-mail but gotten that they can't find the reservation?

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
from (order_acknowledgment@orders.apple.com)

Google this email address. It doesn't look good.

Got a very real looking email saying:

"Dear Apple Customer,

You may check the status of your reservation at any time by visiting......(link here)

Thank you,
The Apple Online Store"

Entire email format looks real. Thing is, the way you verify things like this, is by going to the 'official' site to check. I did this, and there was no mention of a reservation, or issue with my order-nothing.This would lead me to conclude that this indeed is a phishing email., intended for gather account info.
Relax. No meed to be paranoid. I toltally understand what your are saying...but it’s legit. I even checked my account.
[doublepost=1509203074][/doublepost]
I just got something like this, they needed my SSN and CC number, seemed legit, so I sent it back to them. Waiting for a response.
.....and no more response from them. Hahaha

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Relax. No meed to be paranoid. I toltally understand what your are saying...but it’s legit. I even checked my account.
[doublepost=1509203074][/doublepost]
.....and no more response from them. Hahaha
With the equifax breach, it would be quite easy for someone with all that data to open up a 10 line family account of iPhone X’s in your name on your profile. But they’d be dumb to use your email address for the confirmations.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204759

Report phishing attempts and other suspicious messages to Apple
To report a suspicious email, forward the message to Apple with complete header information. To forward the email: In macOS Mail, select the email and choose Forward As Attachment from the Message menu at the top of your computer screen.

These email addresses are monitored by Apple, but you might not receive a reply to your report.

• If you receive what you believe to be a phishing email that's designed to look like it’s from Apple, please send it to reportphishing@apple.com.
  • To report spam or other suspicious emails that you receive in your iCloud.com, me.com, or mac.com Inbox, please send them to abuse@icloud.com.
  • To report spam or other suspicious messages that you receive through iMessage, tap Report Junk under the message, or take a screenshot on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac and send it to imessage.spam@apple.com.
  • If you receive a suspicious message about your purchase activity in the iTunes Store, App Store, or iBooks Store, contact iTunes Support.

John-F

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
Nevada
Suggest you be careful. Return email addresses are easily spoofed. On gmail, if you select View Source, you can see more detailed information and can look for any unusual email addresses or domains in the trace. Additionally, any links in the email can be disguised. Remember links that say CLICK HERE. Behind the scenes is an actual URL. But instead of CLICK HERE, the displayed text can indicate an address that is not the actual URL.