Warning for MP 2010 Owners DO NOT INSTALL PARALLELS

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by nxfxcom, Aug 22, 2010.

1. nxfxcom macrumors regular

Hello,

sorry for the CAPS subject, but be aware, i got my 12 Core on friday, after 2 Time machine Restores, and 4 Clean Installs, i Apple Store visits, i finally figured out what it is:
    DO NOT INSTALL PARALLELS !!!!!!!
    It is not compatible with the 12Core, it messes up something with the Kernel, spend hours of installing everything and then once i install Parallels, it Panics and will not reboot!

I had it all nice on my time machine, but no luck!!!

be aware!

2. eponym macrumors 6502

3. freedom42 macrumors newbie

Does parallels work when you boot the 32-bit kernel, rather than the default 64-bit kernel?

4. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

And I'm SURE you'll get EXCELLENT support from Parallels on this matter, too.

[ \sarc]

I used to use Parallels' stuff and fled them because of their abysmal customer service. VMWare is no prizewinner in that category but there are few entities on this earth as customer-unappreciative as Parallels.

Come over from the dark side, then.

5. nxfxcom thread starter macrumors regular

After 4 reinstalls, time machine restores and a lot of yelling, I decided not to try it!

6. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

FWIW, Fusion works fine on my machine (early '10 MBP 2.66, 8GB RAM), which I have perma-set to boot into 64 bit.

7. freedom42 macrumors newbie

It is likely that this is the issue.

8. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

My 2009 quad runs parallels 5 without a hitch - XP, 7 and Ubuntu... but I didn´t know their customer service was so bad.

Hope they fix this for you soon...

cheers!

9. eponym macrumors 6502

What's multicore support at on Parallels these days?

Fusion now supports assigning 8 cores to a VM.

10. beto2k7 macrumors 6502

As well as parallels. I have it running on my 2009 2.26 Octad Mac Pro @ 64 bit

11. freedom42 macrumors newbie

The guy in the other thread seems to have confirmed this. We will have to either do without Parallels or wait until they port their code to the 64-bit kernel.

In my case (if my machine ever shows up) I'll just run the 32-bit kernel.

12. nxfxcom thread starter macrumors regular

I have a 2009 at work runs perfect, apple support says it's a kernel issues with parallels and the new CPUs

13. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Well I'm quite glad I went for service and stability over speed then.

Massive fail for the Parrallels dev team there!

14. glassbathroom macrumors 6502

This is a disaster. Parallels needs to sort this out very very quickly. Many thanks for the warning.

15. HDFan macrumors 6502

How many processors was Parallels configured for?

My 12 core arrives on Wednesday and I'm trying to figure out whether I should deinstall Parallels before doing the application transfer to the new system. Given the huge number of applications I have it would take one or two days of work to do fresh installs so I'm not planning to start from scratch.

I logged a support incident with Parallels. This was their response:

Parallels Desktop is compatible with 12 core Processor.

The Virtual Machine(Widnows) in Parallels Desktop supports maximum of 8 processors.

So you can assign maximum of 8 Processors to the Virtual Machine.

For more information go to the below mentioned link:

http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v5/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/22943.htm

If the issue persists then do contact us.

So for those who had problems with parallels with 12 cpus - how many processors were configured in Parallels?

One comment on the Parallels Desktop vs VMware issue. I have both. Support for both was terrible. VMware required you to buy support incidents, you were sent to India. There was no way to even call them. I called their regular support and they told me that didn't know how to contact them! Snapshots are a nightmare. I had file corruption, and 102 snapshot files. I finally got to the escalations group and we spent weeks trying to piece all of the files together. The structure is complex - parents, children. Finally we had to give up. I lost my entire disk. After this incident they changed their support so it is now included (you don't have to buy incidents) and I believe it is locally based, so it has definitely improved.

Just another example. I decided to get Fusion running again in case I need to disable parallels. I started up Fusion. There is a new update. "A new version is available". I hit download and install and it asks if I want to suspend Fusion. I suspend it.. It then starts Fusion again. Again it says there is a new version, I hit download and install, again I suspend it, again it starts it up and tells me there is an update ... It is in a loop. This kind of thing has happened to me multiple times.

Parallels has always had free support. My most recent experiences with them have been positive - although I am very suspicious of the reply they gave above. Their user interface I find to be far superior to that of Fusion, particularly in Crystal mode. Much more intuitive.

The root of my problem was that I was maxing out my file system i/o due to lack of memory. Parallels would crash (taking up to 300% of my 4 cpus), but the disk was never corrupted. When Fusion goes down it takes your disk (I've had this happen several times).

16. locojay macrumors newbie

got the same problem hier after installing the latest parrallels on an 8 core.
    Kernel Panic . removed parrallels and all was back again.

Just posted a ticket let's see.

Anyone tried virtual box?

17. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Well good for you however i've never had any of those issues, support has been quick and easy for me and it's been on the whole a good experience.

And to top it off it's been ported to 64-bit so I can use it on my 2010 Mac Pro without any problems what so ever if I had one.

Horses for courses tho...

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I run the 64-bit kernel and have been doing for almost a year now with Parallels. I'm not so sure this is a kernel issue.

19. Aviators macrumors newbie

not on a mac pro, but this is the only virtualization software I use and for even a paid solution I'd be pleased, however given the fact that it's free i'm thrilled.

my friends who are parallels users have complained about things (not issues of this magnitude) for years, glad I avoided that altogether.

20. freedom42 macrumors newbie

Now that I have my own system to work with (12-core) I looked at the logs and you are correct.

Given that it won't run no matter what I have tried, I was forced to remove it from the system. I'll give it a few days, but I have to admit I'm also a long time VMWare user and it seems like I'm heading that direction for OSX.

21. HDFan macrumors 6502

Parallels is working the issue

I have an open ticket with Parallels. They have escalated the issue to their Level 2 Support.

22. HDFan macrumors 6502

I was able to install Parallels

using the special build which they just sent me. Previously the install itself caused the kernel panic. Next step is to test with some of my virtual machines.

They got it to me within 24 hours of the time I reported the problem. Awesome response time from their support.

23. fishplant macrumors newbie

VirtualBox

I've used VirtualBox on my early '08 8-core Mac Pro and it works beautifully for a freebie! I haven't given it any serious work to do though, so I can't comment on how suitable it is for use on important tasks.

24. glassbathroom macrumors 6502

Hi HDFan,

Let us know how you get on. Do you know when they are likely to release a build that works to everyone else?

25. jschmidt1340 macrumors newbie

I also cannot run Parallels 5 on my '10 MP 12 core. They have escalated the issue to Level 2 as well. I don't suppose you could send me the link for the special build?