Warning/Help: Shared upgrade non primary account holder in the Apple store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dr Kevorkian94, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Dr Kevorkian94, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2014

Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

Hey everyone, I have a problem involving AT&T and the apple store. On our mobile account I'm an authorized user and not the primary account holder. The upgrade ill be using is on another line on our account just not my line. Apple told me I can't use that upgrade without being the primary account holder, while AT&T said it should be no problem ( although AT&T won't move the upgrade to my line). The primary account holder can however have A&TT put a note in the account so that it allows me to use the upgrade. That being said apple said they cant see that note on their systems. The manager of the apple store said the AT&T rep in the store tomorrow might be able to help but they are not sure. AT&T customer services said to head to one of their stores and see if the can move the upgrade or make me the account holder for the time being (ill update this when I can get to the store later to see what they say). Anybody have any thoughts or help? Sorry for the awful way this post was composed lol.

2. wickedwahine11 macrumors 6502

wickedwahine11

I have a similar issue - gave my line upgrade to my mom this summer when she needed a new phone, I am using her line upgrade tomorrow. Apple said it can be done but they have to go through the ATT rep. ATT said it is no big deal at all. So the mall has both stores - and I can't line up until 5am when mall security will let us. I would rather go to Apple for more stock but since I have this wrinkle, I am heading to ATT. If you want a 6+ I would go to Apple but if you only want a 6 I would just go to ATT.

3. Dr Kevorkian94 thread starter macrumors 68020

Im happy to hear that AT&T rep can help. Crossing my fingers lol. I'm going to go to the store to see if they will move the upgrade to my line or make me the account holder. If anything ill have AT&T add a note to the account just to make sure.

4. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

I've done upgrade swaps in the store, and I'm only an authorized user. I've had no issues. Just have to see the AT&T reps there. All hell will be raised if that's no longer the case, considering my primary account holder lives six hours away. :mad:

5. Dr Kevorkian94 thread starter macrumors 68020

Ive talked to two of the managers at and someone on the floor at my local apple store, and thats what I was told. I have also done this the last couple years with no problem. Hopefully the rep will help me in the store. The thing is that Apple says its their policy because carriers were complaining but AT&T had no problem with it. They also said the rep may be able to help but they just dont know.

6. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

Called Apple. A girl told me that it wouldn't be an issue. I guess we'll see. :confused: I still think it'll be fine.

7. Dr Kevorkian94 thread starter macrumors 68020

Good luck! Ill be in the same position I'm going to have AT&T put a note in the account so the rep can see the primary holder is allowing it. Idk if that will help or if the yea see it but it can't hurt.

8. Dr Kevorkian94 thread starter macrumors 68020

Update: AT&T said they could make me the account holder but there is a fee of $18 per line. Since I'm not about that, and there was no one one the line there I decided to get on that line. They have the model I want so I'm all set.