Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vnle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
Maryland
http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/CL57500/1

I've had this sleeve since I brought my iPad and have ALWAYS been very careful with it. This morning, when I was using my iPad, I saw a deep scratch (almost a gash) at the top near the power button. I concluded that this was caused by the zipper. :eek: I have always been assured that there is a protective layer between the iPad and the zippers to prevent this exact event from happening. :mad: Apparently, this was not the case. Be careful if you're considering this case. I have no idea about the other Incase iPad products but I would, in no way, recommend this case.

Time to shop for another case ...

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009

I've had this sleeve since I brought my iPad and have ALWAYS been very careful with it. This morning, when I was using my iPad, I saw a deep scratch (almost a gash) at the top near the power button. I concluded that this was caused by the zipper. :eek: I have always been assured that there is a protective layer between the iPad and the zippers to prevent this exact event from happening. :mad: Apparently, this was not the case. Be careful if you're considering this case. I have no idea about the other Incase iPad products but I would, in no way, recommend this case.

Funny, InCase has never done me wrong, and their Macbook and iPad cases are great. I say InCase is great, I'd recommend them anytime....

PacMookBro

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2007

I've heard booq boa sleeve also causes zipper scratch. Stay away from zippers.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

You must have done something else to scratch it, or you linked to the wrong case.

softgreen5.jpg

It is clear from this picture that there is a healthy padding between the zipper and the iPad.

vnle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
Maryland
Funny, InCase has never done me wrong, and their Macbook and iPad cases are great. I say InCase is great, I'd recommend them anytime....

I used to be a supporter of Incase but I'm not so sure anymore.

I've heard booq boa sleeve also causes zipper scratch. Stay away from zippers.

Very true... :mad:

You must have done something else to scratch it, or you linked to the wrong case.

softgreen5.jpg

It is clear from this picture that there is a healthy padding between the zipper and the iPad.

I can assure you that I have not done anything remotely close to scratching my iPad not to mention leaving a gash in it. I've never taken it out of the house either so yes, the only valid conclusion is the zipper from the case. Also, you would think that they would have a picture making their product attractive considering they would like to make some money :rolleyes: The padding in real life doesn't look as thick as the picture makes it out to be.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I can assure you that I have not done anything remotely close to scratching my iPad not to mention leaving a gash in it. I've never taken it out of the house either so yes, the only valid conclusion is the zipper from the case. Also, you would think that they would have a picture making their product attractive considering they would like to make some money :rolleyes: The padding in real life doesn't look as thick as the picture makes it out to be.
Well then... pics or it didn't happen. Based on what I have heard and seen, there is something missing.

md63

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2007

softgreen5.jpg

Obviously you don't have an incase iPad case or else you could look inside and see that the metal slider is exposed on the inside and runs along a significant portion of the iPads edge.

It doesn't surprise me that the OP scratched a naked iPad since given the design. I have this case, however, I always keep my iPad in a Belkin Grip Vue case so its unlikely to get scratched by the zipper. Also, I have always pull the case so it doesn't run along the edge of the iPad.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Obviously you don't have an incase iPad case or else you could look inside and see that the metal slider is exposed on the inside and runs along a significant portion of the iPads edge.
Obviously. That is why I referenced a stock photo from their site. The OP made a bold statement without any visual assistance. Someone who is considering the case would read this thread, look at the stock photo and not believe the OP.

A photo displaying the exposed metal slider would be helpful.

vnle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
Maryland
Well then... pics or it didn't happen. Based on what I have heard and seen, there is something missing.

Obviously. That is why I referenced a stock photo from their site. The OP made a bold statement without any visual assistance. Someone who is considering the case would read this thread, look at the stock photo and not believe the OP.

A photo displaying the exposed metal slider would be helpful.

Because, obviously, you have heard and seen all the sleeves Incase manufractured. :rolleyes:

Here is the pic you requested - there's the gash on the edge by the corner of the ipad. Taken with an iphone4 since I have no other camera. Also, on closer examination, I have found light scuff marks that can only be explained by dragging something by - unfortunately, I cannot capture it with an iphone.

As the title of this thread indicates, these sleeves CAN scratch (even if I was being very careful), not that they WILL scratch.

Attachments

• photo-1.JPG
    photo-1.JPG
    265.5 KB · Views: 160

vnle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
Maryland
I have that too but my sleeve has no zippers. I haven't dropped it or anything so I am guessing its from wear.

From the wear ...? :confused:

I just got my iPad about ... say ... MAYBE 3 weeks ago and have rarely used it since then - it's been sitting in it's box on my bookcase. So even if it was normal wear from usage ... then the iPad is really fragile ... :confused:

Apple all life

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2009
Ny
I have had mine for awhile it could for me at least just like a scratch from a table or something along those lines. But I have something similar to the scratch/gash you have and I don't have zippers on my sleeve. I don't know what the sleeve is called but it is incase too.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Because, obviously, you have heard and seen all the sleeves Incase manufractured. :rolleyes:

Here is the pic you requested - there's the gash on the edge by the corner of the ipad. Taken with an iphone4 since I have no other camera. Also, on closer examination, I have found light scuff marks that can only be explained by dragging something by - unfortunately, I cannot capture it with an iphone.

As the title of this thread indicates, these sleeves CAN scratch (even if I was being very careful), not that they WILL scratch.
You didn't show a photo of the case in question... so still, the only image that any of us have to go by is the promo shot on the manufacturer's website. You even responded to the post where I said that a photo of the exposed metal slider would be helpful.

showing us your scratched iPad tells us NOTHING about HOW it was scratched.

vnle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
Maryland
You didn't show a photo of the case in question... so still, the only image that any of us have to go by is the promo shot on the manufacturer's website. You even responded to the post where I said that a photo of the exposed metal slider would be helpful.

showing us your scratched iPad tells us NOTHING about HOW it was scratched.

How do you propose I go about doing this? I actually tried and couldn't get an accurate picture. I would need to put my iphone inside which would stretch the case vertically so it would, of course, show the slider. Also, I wouldn't be able to fit both the iPad and iPhone in there which would show an inaccurate picture anyways. Please take a minute and think about this image: the Incase sleeve for the iPad is not tight around the iPad meaning the iPad can slide around - it can even slide between the cushions. Are you saying it's impossible that it might have graze the zipper? :rolleyes:

All I am saying is that it's possible. The marks on my iPad clearly shows a gash and some light dragging marks and there is nothing else that could have cause it aside from the case. It may or may not happen to other people but this is merely a warning. Just as PacMookBro said, it's best to stay away from zippers because there's always that possibility.

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
I have that exact case. No scratches so far. I'm going to get a hard jacket for it soon though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.