Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asafblasberg

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2018
Hello,
I have had the iPad Pro 11-inch (2018) version for a week and have discovered a new multitask bug and was wondering if others have it. If you keep trying to use the split-screen feature (i.e. mail on one side, messages on the other) after a while, the iPad Pro will eventually crash. I've submitted some screen shots here - let me know if others have this issue. Running iOS 12.1

bug1.jpg

bug2.jpg

I have an appointment with a Genius bar tomorrow. Apple told me it could be software or hardware. Not sure. Very disappointing.
Thanks,
Asaf

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
Haven’t had issues doing split screen on mine. Had the 11” since launch. With that said I don’t use Messages at all on the iPad. So most likely a software bug in that app.

Reactions: A.R.E.A.M.

duffyanneal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
ATL
How long before it crashes? I ask because I just spent ten minutes reading mail and messages without any issues. I have the new 12.9”.

asafblasberg

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2018
How long before it crashes? I ask because I just spent ten minutes reading mail and messages without any issues. I have the new 12.9”.
It happens pretty instantly — after a while I’m able to swipe up to get it back to the home screen. I did a full clean reinstall. Wiped all content and settings. Same problem.

ConfusedChris

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2013
U.K.
I have had side-by-side apps stall like that since iOS 12.0 on iPad Pro 9.7”.
I normally quickly close them in App Switcher so I don’t know if they would eventually crash.

asafblasberg

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2018
Wow okay that pretty much describes the same issue I have. :((. So it looks like a software issue. Bummer.

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2012
I tried it for about 5 minutes before I got bored, but I didn't see a crash. I have seen occasional freezes multitasking like mentioned above, but not since using the new Pro.

asafblasberg

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2018
Ok. So yes it’s normal once you bring up a second app side by side to see a brief one second delay before you see the content inside both app. That’s normal. But in my case they stay frozen and you can’t see their contents.

asafblasberg

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2018
OK updating the thread folks - so apparently i figured out the bug. If you turn Reduce Motion to ON, the bug will happen. If you turn it back to OFF, the bug never happens, not even one time. I went to the Apple Store and they told me it was a hardware problem so they immediately exchanged it for a new one. I tried the new one in the store, same problem. So Apple said it's now a software issue. I will let the engineers know and hopefully a new OS version will fix the issue.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Hello,
I have had the iPad Pro 11-inch (2018) version for a week and have discovered a new multitask bug and was wondering if others have it. If you keep trying to use the split-screen feature (i.e. mail on one side, messages on the other) after a while, the iPad Pro will eventually crash. I've submitted some screen shots here - let me know if others have this issue. Running iOS 12.1

View attachment 805270

View attachment 805271

I have an appointment with a Genius bar tomorrow. Apple told me it could be software or hardware. Not sure. Very disappointing.
Thanks,
Asaf
Hopefully they get it sorted out for you at the appointment. I was actually using it like that yesterday (base 11" model), and I was actually impressed how much smoother it was that on my old iPad Air 2.

asafblasberg

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2018
Hello all,
I thought i'd update you on the situation. Apparently I went to Best Buy today in Manhattan and tried a regular iPad 2018 model (non-Pro). Same issue. So yeah def. a iOS 12.1 bug. Oyyy :(( Apple please fix :((

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Hello all,
I thought i'd update you on the situation. Apparently I went to Best Buy today in Manhattan and tried a regular iPad 2018 model (non-Pro). Same issue. So yeah def. a iOS 12.1 bug. Oyyy :(( Apple please fix :((
Was this a demo unit, or did you exchange the unit you had?

Last edited:

asafblasberg

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2018
Brand new iPad Pro, exchanged it three times, set up as new device. Not installing any other apps. All stock iOS

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Only multitasking bug I've noticed is with the UI. When you have an app like YouTube that hasn't been optimized for the new iPads on the left, and Safari on the right in 1/3 view, the bottom UI for Safari floats above the bottom with a gap that you can see through, lol.

asafblasberg

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2018
Yeah, it's just not ready for primetime. There are tons of UI bugs specifically with iPad Pro and iPad. I also notice there are very few updates to any apps. I returned my iPad Pro yesterday.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Have any of you encountered this where the Safari window just goes blank?

iPad Pro 11”.

Attachments

• AB60C8C3-6D81-4663-B01E-BF8DCB8A61A2.png
    AB60C8C3-6D81-4663-B01E-BF8DCB8A61A2.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 113
  • F6C21F66-B674-4A9F-9B05-4EEE9F5DFCE6.png
    F6C21F66-B674-4A9F-9B05-4EEE9F5DFCE6.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 147
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.