iPad Pro Warning: iPad Pro has a multitask bug

Discussion in 'iPad' started by asafblasberg, Nov 19, 2018.

1. asafblasberg macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I have had the iPad Pro 11-inch (2018) version for a week and have discovered a new multitask bug and was wondering if others have it. If you keep trying to use the split-screen feature (i.e. mail on one side, messages on the other) after a while, the iPad Pro will eventually crash. I've submitted some screen shots here - let me know if others have this issue. Running iOS 12.1

bug1.jpg

bug2.jpg

I have an appointment with a Genius bar tomorrow. Apple told me it could be software or hardware. Not sure. Very disappointing.
    Thanks,
    Asaf

2. Mabus51 macrumors 65816

Haven’t had issues doing split screen on mine. Had the 11” since launch. With that said I don’t use Messages at all on the iPad. So most likely a software bug in that app.

3. asafblasberg thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.

4. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

How long before it crashes? I ask because I just spent ten minutes reading mail and messages without any issues. I have the new 12.9”.

5. asafblasberg thread starter macrumors newbie

It happens pretty instantly — after a while I’m able to swipe up to get it back to the home screen. I did a full clean reinstall. Wiped all content and settings. Same problem.

6. ConfusedChris macrumors regular

ConfusedChris

I have had side-by-side apps stall like that since iOS 12.0 on iPad Pro 9.7”.
    I normally quickly close them in App Switcher so I don’t know if they would eventually crash.

7. asafblasberg thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow okay that pretty much describes the same issue I have. :((. So it looks like a software issue. Bummer.

8. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

I tried it for about 5 minutes before I got bored, but I didn't see a crash. I have seen occasional freezes multitasking like mentioned above, but not since using the new Pro.

9. asafblasberg thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok. So yes it’s normal once you bring up a second app side by side to see a brief one second delay before you see the content inside both app. That’s normal. But in my case they stay frozen and you can’t see their contents.

10. asafblasberg thread starter macrumors newbie

OK updating the thread folks - so apparently i figured out the bug. If you turn Reduce Motion to ON, the bug will happen. If you turn it back to OFF, the bug never happens, not even one time. I went to the Apple Store and they told me it was a hardware problem so they immediately exchanged it for a new one. I tried the new one in the store, same problem. So Apple said it's now a software issue. I will let the engineers know and hopefully a new OS version will fix the issue.

11. augustya macrumors 68030

augustya

What is a Reduce Motion ? How do you turn it on and off ?

12. KarinvdB macrumors member

KarinvdB

Settings - General - Accessibility

I guess it means to reduce the flowy nature of movements for those whose eyesight is bothered by this

7C959361-22CB-445B-8379-1FD7CD1339A1.jpeg

13. AutomaticApple macrumors 68000

AutomaticApple

Huh, that’s pretty neat!

14. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

Hopefully they get it sorted out for you at the appointment. I was actually using it like that yesterday (base 11" model), and I was actually impressed how much smoother it was that on my old iPad Air 2.

15. MisterSavage macrumors 65816

MisterSavage

I always have reduce motion on. Luckily I haven't encountered this bug.

Yeah it was a big deal in iOS 7. This thread about the new animations making people feel motion sickness hit 47 pages!

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5322295

16. asafblasberg thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello all,
    I thought i'd update you on the situation. Apparently I went to Best Buy today in Manhattan and tried a regular iPad 2018 model (non-Pro). Same issue. So yeah def. a iOS 12.1 bug. Oyyy :(( Apple please fix :((

17. tromboneaholic, Dec 2, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2018

tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

Was this a demo unit, or did you exchange the unit you had?

18. asafblasberg thread starter macrumors newbie

Brand new iPad Pro, exchanged it three times, set up as new device. Not installing any other apps. All stock iOS

19. asafblasberg thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello, here is a YouTube video showing the problem

Let me know your comments.

20. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

Only multitasking bug I've noticed is with the UI. When you have an app like YouTube that hasn't been optimized for the new iPads on the left, and Safari on the right in 1/3 view, the bottom UI for Safari floats above the bottom with a gap that you can see through, lol.

21. asafblasberg thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, it's just not ready for primetime. There are tons of UI bugs specifically with iPad Pro and iPad. I also notice there are very few updates to any apps. I returned my iPad Pro yesterday.

22. WilliamG macrumors G3

Have any of you encountered this where the Safari window just goes blank?

iPad Pro 11”.

Attached Files: