WARNING! Macally/ iUnitek website Fraud

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Martayjay, May 15, 2010.

1. Martayjay macrumors newbie

Think this topic needs its own thread:

I ordered a Bookstand via iUnitek and then discovered credit card fraud warnings posted within the Bookstand thread. There are numerous complaints there about fraudulent charges when ordering thru the Macally/iUnitek website.

Since I had already placed an order, I started monitoring my credit card account online every day since then. Well, sure enough, today I found a suspect charge from the PlayStation Store. Since I don't own a PS, it's fairly clear there is fraud going on. I immediately called my bank, cancelled the charge and shut down the credit card. F**k those scammers!

It's truly amazing that Macally / iUnitek can allow this to happen.
    I was really hot to get a Bookstand but after this, F**k Macally, too!

I'll now wait for the XGear Folio.
    Looks like a better-quality product, anyway.

2. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I have my bank account thru paypal as well as my credit cards. Then I install the paypal browser plugin. the plugin generates ONE TIME USE card numbers for ordering online. so that way your real card numbers never get out there.

3. eTip macrumors 6502

+1. LOVE this product/feature.

4. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

You trust paypal with your checking acount? Im not a hater, but I have heard enough people tell horror stories about Paypal that I cannot see myself letting them keep tabs on my checking account.

5. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

All the stories are from people who fall for the phishing attempt emails sent by "Paypal" to "verify their bank account number and social security number" etc.;)

6. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

i have never had an issue with paypal. Other then not knowing about their "holding funds" on big sales on ebay. I've been an ebay/paypal member since 98 but I dont use ebay enough and when i do i forget to leave feedback so I have <100 feedback. (all positive tho)

7. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

You guys are getting a bit off-topic. The OP's warning is very much valid. Macally/iUnitek are shady. If you choose to do things to protect yourself from fraud and attempt to do business with them, you have been warned.

One-time use credit cards are of no use when dealing with Macally/iUnitek since they never charge you for the product itself... there is a direct fraudulent charge from some other vendor.

8. iWannaBeAdored macrumors 6502

iWannaBeAdored

Never heard of this! :eek: Can you link me up please? :)

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Thanks for the warning there. :) Thought one time use cards protected us in the end. :eek:

Guess that is why I seldom buy off the net. Rather pay more and support the local economy - and even the local tax base. Never understood those that complain about welfare (the long term unemployed as we have now), the added fees for their kids to play soccer in team sports, the shutting down of the likes of dog parks, or even charging admission charges to local and state parks that were once free. Only to complain at any new tax or fine that generates revenue..

I am also not wanting to go OT... but people buy online to skirt the sales tax issue... :mad:

10. eTip macrumors 6502

Not going to dispute your philosophy of buying local - in fact I am all for it....but if you think you are safe from credit card fraud by not buying online, you are fooling yourself. The last time I got hit with fraud on a credit card I hadn't used the card online in ages and the fraud clearly originated from a convenience store. They probably had a skimmer. I am always amazed that people who refuse to use a credit card online but don't hesitate to hand their card to a waiter or give their number to someone over the phone.

11. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

+1

I took a fraud class once and it is amazing how much more often a credit card number (and security code) is stolen from a local source than online.

It takes someone with skill to steal it online, but it takes 30 seconds to steal it in real life.

BTW, thanks for the warning to the OP.

12. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

NORTHWEST X RAY = Someone at Macally/Unitek Scamming?

Now that I see this thread, it makes me wonder... I discovered just over a week ago that someone called "NORTHWEST X RAY" did a $0.03 pending charge against my debit card. A $0.03 charge is obviously someone testing the card to see if it works, so I quickly had the debit card canceled. No money was lost, but now I am wondering if my recent order from Macally, for which I used my debit card, had anything to do with this.

FWIW, I contacted a company called "Northwest X-Ray" (located in Eugene, OR) and the owner told me that (1) his firm does not accept credit or debit cards and (2) I was the FOURTH person to call him regarding a bogus charge with his firm's name on it. (We have no way to know if "NORTHWEST X RAY" was an actual reference to his firm or not.)

Has anyone else seen a charge (or pending charge) from "NORTHWEST X RAY" on their credit or debit card?