***WARNING*** MBP update 4th May

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bcburrows, May 5, 2011.

1. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

Have just used software update to install the latest macbook pro software update 1.4 released may 4th to resolve graphics issues, thunderbolt etc.

It has pretty much screwed up my MBP

1) Graphics have gone haywire - my external monitor resolutions are all over the shop..... it has created a problem where there was not one!!

2) Network - all network passwords and settings lost! Had to re start time capsule and restart network from backup...

Am going to roll back on the time machine to remove this update - don't know who tested it before release

Let me know if any of you have these problems or if I am just lucky...

Starting to regret upgrading my perfectly good C2D to this i7 now

2. johnnj macrumors 6502a

Wow, that sucks!

I just installed it on mine and I experienced none of these problems.

Is a rollback via TM going to help you, though? The firmware was updated, not the OS. Although maybe something in the OS got screwed up by the update process. You should definitely open a ticket with Apple.

Either way, best of luck getting your baby back in order!

3. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

wow i was going to update last night but fell asleep before i got around to it now i am kind of glad. im going to wait and see if this turns out to be widespread.

4. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Mine boots and runs fine but the thing I do notice is that I had used the Trim enabler tool for my SSD and trim is now turned back off.....

5. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

That sucks.

I didn't have any problems though.

Have you done an SMC/PRAM reset? Also are you sure the update completed successfully?

6. AFPoster macrumors 65816

steps on doing this correctly?

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Installed this on my 13" 2011 MBP just now with no problems.

Intel 510 SSD still shows SATA III connection.

8. macwong macrumors newbie

Same here, my Intel SSD trim is disable. Is it possible to reapply the Trim Enable Tool again?

9. drambuie macrumors 6502a

You do have 10.6.7 installed? Did you also install EFI update 2.1? Reading the notes, it appears that both address some of the same issues, so maybe they have to be installed together. Also, is this for 2011 MBPs only, or does it also cover earlier MBPs? The mention of Thunderbolt raises a flag for me.

10. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Just updated software and EFI.

Trim was disabled. Meh I have Sandforce, so I'm alright, will try to re-enable after someone has confirmed it works =)

No problems with my external TV monitor.

No problems with network.

11. tcador macrumors regular

12. boramilrn macrumors newbie

13. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

14. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

All fine here (2.7 13" model with Vertex2) - Trim re-enabled and no issues apparent so far :)

15. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

thanks costa, I have a Vertex 2, guess I'll re-enable trim as well.

16. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

Yeah, no problems here after the update...

If you did notice bugs after installing it your best bet would be to file a report with apple so that they can get it fixed.

17. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Updated last night as well on 2011 13" i7. No issues to speak of.

18. Ccrew macrumors 68020

I re-ran with no issues and it claims it's re-enabled but I don't consider the hour or two it's been running to be the gold standard that it's fine to do. That being said I've seen no weirdness and I've been working on it all that time.

19. silvermail macrumors newbie

Just installed it on my MBP 15" 2.2 and am still having intermittent issues with the detection of my external monitor (Dell U3011) via mini-Displayport to Displayport. Am so disappointed that this patch didn't fix the issue. :(

20. pedrofan macrumors 6502

OMG after making the update my 2,3ghz 2011 i7 17" MBP RESTARTS IN ONLY 16,3 SECONDS with my vertex 3 and the rolling progression circle doesn't even appear in the boot!! I also feel that everything goes smoother and feels faster, but disk speeds seems to be the same in AJA System Test. It is like they have improved the sata 6 port or something.

21. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

I'm not trying to knock on the OP but I wish the thread name would change. Every time there is an update from Apple, one person starts a thread about how the update is Skynet trying to start Armageddon because it didn't work on their machine.

It never occurs to them that it might be their machine that is trouble. I wish people would investigate before starting overreactive threads with asterisks and ALL CAPITAL LETTERS.

You know, give Apple some credit. They really do test these updates. Are they perfect all the time? No, but statically speaking you could update for the rest of your life and you will never have a problem.

The SSD and TRIM issue is not officially supported by Apple so I think Caveat Emptor there...

How about next time a post asking if anyone else is having issues with the update rather than suggesting the entire release from Apple will destroy your machine...

-P

22. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

You would have seen those benefits if your reset your PRAM and / or SMC after the Vertex 3 install.

By installing the update it did it for you. Even with the Momentus XT I boot in 18 seconds flat.

23. pedrofan macrumors 6502

No, I made several SMC and PR resets before the update and the boot time was about 18 seconds and I could see the rolling progression circle to make almost two and a half cicles. And it even lasted 23 seconds without this terminal commands:

sudo chown root:admin /
    sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
    sudo kextcache -system-caches

Now the circle DOESN'T EVEN APPEAR. I'm now on the battery and the boot and the reset times are almost the same. I'm going to plug it to see if the boot time improves.

24. pedrofan macrumors 6502

Do you think they have solved the 17" issue with the battery indicator cable interferring with the sata cable with an update??