Warning message from disabling hibernation

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by neurophysicist, Mar 29, 2013.

1. neurophysicist macrumors member

Hello,

I replaced the HDD in my early 2011 2.2 i7 MBP with a Samsung 840 Series 500GB SSD.

I was reading about SSD optimizations online and many places recommended turning off hibernation:

http://sysadmin.flakshack.com/post/9...-os-x?ad22ade0
    http://blog.alutam.com/2012/04/01/op...d/#hibernation

I disabled it in the terminal, but this message was also returned. I wasn't really sure what it meant, so I was hoping someone here does. Thanks.

**-MacBook-Pro:~ **$ sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
    Warning: Idle sleep timings for "Battery Power" may not behave as expected.
    - Disk sleep should be non-zero whenever system sleep is non-zero.
    Warning: Idle sleep timings for "AC Power" may not behave as expected.
    - Disk sleep should be non-zero whenever system sleep is non-zero.
    **-MacBook-Pro:~ **$ sudo pmset -g
    Active Profiles:
    Battery Power -1
    AC Power -1*
    Currently in use:
    standbydelay 4200
    standby 0
    womp 1
    halfdim 1
    hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage
    gpuswitch 2
    sms 1
    networkoversleep 0
    disksleep 0
    sleep 10
    hibernatemode 0
    ttyskeepawake 1
    displaysleep 10
    acwake 0
    lidwake 1

Anyone have ideas? No really sure what is meant by "Idle sleep timings may not behave as expected." Does this mean problems may come about, or is it nothing to worry about? And if so, why the warning?

My second question is sometimes terminal says "(sleep prevented by )" followed by a PID. Sometimes this is time machine, but other times it is blank (as seen in the image attached).

Last, I noticed that the SMS sometimes is switched back on to "1", even though I set it to off. I was wondering if this happens to other people as well—do the settings change when turning the computer back on?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

Could be totally wrong but...

I disabled hibernate and I think I remember getting the same message. Basically, you have two contradictory sleep settings. Shouldn't be a problem though.

To address your second question, I really don't know the answer but I would suggest bringing up activity monitor to narrow down the culprit whenever it happens. Or bring up force quit, option-cmd-power button.

Last, some changes in terminal don't stick. You have to enable them after every restart.

3. neurophysicist thread starter macrumors member

Thanks trigonometry. Is the only disadvantage to disabling hibernation then that if you completely lose battery it's basically like rebooting?

I googled around and found this manual:

http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/pmset.1.html

it says:

disksleep - disk spindown timer; replaces 'spindown' argument in 10.4 (value in minutes, or 0 to dis-
    able)

and the original message said "disk sleep should be non-zero when system sleep is non-zero." Does it have anything to do with leaving the "put hard disks to sleep when possible" setting unchecked? Thanks again!

4. jenzjen macrumors 68000

I uncheck the hard drive sleep setting box but also set the machine to sleep "never" in the energy saver panel - I think it is the latter that when changed make the error you see go away when you rerun disabling the hibernation command.

5. neurophysicist thread starter macrumors member

Thanks jenzjen. How come you set your sleep to never? Does it wear the SSD that much? I figured I would just go with hibernation disabled but I'm curious if other SSD users disable sleep completely, and the benefits/drawbacks.

6. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

Do users with an originally equipped SSD MBP "need" to do this? Or is it already pre programmed?

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nobody really needs to do it unless you are just absolutely desperate for that last little bit of SSD space that is used by the hibernation image. Unless you are running your battery until it dies all the time, hibernation has no impact on SSD write cycles.

A default OS X install has hibernation turned on.

8. 1member1 macrumors 6502

Hibernate mode is a good thing and with SSD this works much better so why even disable it ?

9. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

I kind of agree but I have heard of people freeing up gigabytes+ which is not insignificant when you have a 128GB SSD.

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The image would be the same size as the system's RAM. So if your Mac portable has say 16GB RAM, the hibernation image would be 16GB. So yeah, if you are really tight for space it could help.

11. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

I almost never run out of battery in a way that I could need hibernation.. and, I have 16GB of RAM so that would make a difference. If, on any time, I'm running out of space, I'll do it.

Thanks a lot for the explanation, Weaselboy :)