Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jejagua

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2008
did you buy your 16MB ipad from some guy on the street?
i would pay the extra money and at least get 1 GB.
Maybe you should have owned it for 13.6 days and looked at the back.

Brilliant observation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
MN
I'm in Minnesota. I could actively try to leave it in the sunlight and it still wouldn't get hot enough.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
A tale of two ipads.

1. Wifi, in an apple case, in the seat back pocket of a Honda van, on the west side of the van in the parking lot at the magic kingdom, in the handicap lot so nothing on that side, and the van is black. ( from about 10:30-4:30)

2. 3G, in a speck candy shell, in the timbuk2 netbook messenger, with 3G inadvertently left on with mail being pushed, on the floor under the one in the seat back.

Temp - car is showing 93. It's hot in the parking lot.

I pull out the 3G, turn it on to check and email. No issues.

Child's wifi won't turn on......temperature screen. She holds it to the ac vent for about 5 minutes and it is fine.

All can figure is that my roomy bag and not sealed with a flap case helped the heat dissipate throughout the day. She has the same bag, but had taken it into the park with here, hence the use of the seat pocket.

It will be interesting to see how it goes this summer. I know i need it outdoors on June 5-6th, AC won't be an option.

For the record, my battery went from 95% to 72% sitting in that bag with 3G running and probably working hard for the signal.

atuarre

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2008
A tale of two ipads.

1. Wifi, in an apple case, in the seat back pocket of a Honda van, on the west side of the van in the parking lot at the magic kingdom, in the handicap lot so nothing on that side, and the van is black. ( from about 10:30-4:30)

2. 3G, in a speck candy shell, in the timbuk2 netbook messenger, with 3G inadvertently left on with mail being pushed, on the floor under the one in the seat back.

Child's wifi won't turn on......temperature screen. She holds it to the ac vent for about 5 minutes and it is fine.

All can figure is that my roomy bag and not sealed with a flap case helped the heat dissipate throughout the day. She has the same bag, but had taken it into the park with here, hence the use of the seat pocket.

It will be interesting to see how it goes this summer. I know i need it outdoors on June 5-6th, AC won't be an option.

For the record, my battery went from 95% to 72% sitting in that bag with 3G running and probably working hard for the signal.

I think leaving your iPad in a car that gets hot is just asking for trouble. My understanding of capacitors is when they get hot, the electrolyte solution turns from a liquid into a gas and the hotter it gets the more the pressure builds up. Why would you even take the chance?

Sinfire

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2010
I would be more concerned with the battery leaking or exploding by the heat than the capacitors.

I think leaving your iPad in a car that gets hot is just asking for trouble. My understanding of capacitors is when they get hot, the electrolyte solution turns from a liquid into a gas and the hotter it gets the more the pressure builds up. Why would you even take the chance?

A tale of two ipads.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida

Kinda hard to avoid when you live where it gets hot and don't want to carry 2 ipads and 2 touches into a Disney park.... But live an hour away and would like the entertainment value getting there.

It doesn't happen often.... But the point was that they reacted different to the heat too.

HelloMikee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
San Diego
I'm pretty sure if I'm sitting in those temperatures and not in shade, I'm sitting in a lounge chair, shirtless with a beer on hand.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Aside from the heat issue, is it a good idea to leave one's iPad in a parked vehicle? Wherever I go my iPad goes, and I am not taking chances by leaving it in my car. Yes, it could be inconvenient at times, but after years of hauling heavy camera gear with me I don't find the iPad to be a problem. In very hot weather or very cold weather I also don't leave my iPod in the car, even though it is concealed from view.

Phantom Gremlin

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2010
Tualatin, Oregon

It's unlikely that the iPad has electrolytic capacitors. One major electronics mfr (not Apple) I've worked with in the recent past specifically eschews electrolytic caps for portable devices. Ceramic rules!

I dunno about LCD displays. Is it possible to damage those in a hot car? Perhaps not, or nav systems wouldn't be so popular.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
I just dont get it. Why sit in the sun when it's so hot that your ipad stops working. Aren't you guys concerned about skin cancer?? :D
it's been 14 Celsius here, sometimes a bit warmer in a nice corner of my garden, but so far not any warning. Perhaps it will be like the core duo MacBooks pro that got less warm after firmware updates.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
A tale of two ipads.

OK, First off, if the temp in the car says it's 93, that is the outside temp - since that is how hot it's been Orlando the past week. The temperature in your car left in expansive and unshaded Magic Kingdom parking lot ws well over 115 degrees.

The iPad left under the seat would be cooler because it was in more shade than the one left in the car seatback, plus heat rises so it was lower in the car and therefore in a "cooler" area. In addition this iPad was in constant shade under the seat

The iPad left in the seatback was more prone to have been in a warmer area because throughout the day the seatback may have been in direct sunlight as well through the windows. the iPad itself may not have been in the direct sun being covered by the material in the seatback, but the seat itself was in the direct sunlight regardless of any window tinting thus providing a warmer climate as well.

As I live in the Orlando area and visit the parks as well, I would leave the iPad under the seat or would be more prone to take it into the park and rent a locker. At least in a locker it is in a cooler climate and not in the heat of the Florida sun

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I just dont get it. Why sit in the sun when it's so hot that your ipad stops working. Aren't you guys concerned about skin cancer?? :D
it's been 14 Celsius here, sometimes a bit warmer in a nice corner of my garden, but so far not any warning. Perhaps it will be like the core duo MacBooks pro that got less warm after firmware updates.

14 Celsius is 57.2 Farenheit, well within the iPads recommended temperature range therefore you would not get a warning as it would take a long time for the unit to heat up to the warning level.

In Florida, where the temperatures have been in the mid 90'sF (33+C) it heats up quite fast especially in the sunlight.

stu.h

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
West Midlands, England.
Simple solution.

Jailbreak, then modify the threshold in the OS to display the warning at 150 degrees plus.

The iPad might look like a poppadum then tho

:D

stevegmu

macrumors regular
I have been using mine outside in DC and the burbs for 2 weeks now, and haven't had it shut down. I don't use a case, though. I always wear polarized sunglasses outside, so no screen glare problems. Portrait mode does look dark outdoors while wearing sunglasses, but landscape mode looks great.

Coyler the Spoi

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2010
Chappaqua, NY
Overheated in NY Saturday 5/16/10

Sitting by the pool under an umbrella on a May Saturday afternoon, my wife got the same overheated message. No way this puppy will work at the beach or South of the Mason Dixon line except in the Winter. No case was in use BTW

Type X

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2010
We had a few issues with our 3g ipad overheating.
The first was in the shade of a park, called apple & the tech said i shouldn't be using it direct sunlight... i was like i was in the shade for 5 minutes...
Meanwhile they sold me a "mobile" device that purchased for my gf as a gift so shed have something to use at a beach or park.

So i said whatever and kept on trucking...

Month later, we headed to hawaii last week & we're in a rental car with the A/C on, she's using it on maps as our navigation in the rental car...boom overheats again :(

Luckily i had everything saved in my iphone 4 and could use that

So we head to the apple store in waikiki during vacation, told genius bar rep what happened & they replaced the device.

Great service & no issues thus far with the 2nd Ipad but kind of crappy since it was her anniversary gift.

"sigh"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.