Warning: MobileMe "owns" your Notes App on your Iphone.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LeicaM13, Mar 8, 2011.

1. LeicaM13 macrumors newbie

If you use MobileMe with your Iphone, think twice about syncing the Notes app on MobileMe. For months I didn't and one day I did and all my notes on my Iphone disappeared, never to be seen again. When you sync your notes to MobileMe and there is no place set up to receive them in MobileMe they are removed from your phone and are not replaced on your phone. No warning options, no courtesy messages indicating that you are doing something that cannot be undone. If you sign on to MobileMe and ask to have your Notes synced and then decide you don't want MobileMe anymore they will be removed from your phone. If you sign on to MobileMe and click on to have your Notes synced and then change your mind a minute later and click off to not have your Notes synced anymore on MobileMe but instead decide you want them synced to your computer, you better write them down before you do because you will not be able to do both. Basically, when you create them on your phone, they are stored "in the cloud" and sent back to your phone to view only. When you remove the connection to "the cloud", poof, they are gone forever.

2. kre62 macrumors 68000

Sync em with google instead

3. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

same thing happens if you use google and or yahoo...I prefer to keep my notes on my device and not sync them with any of my mail accounts

4. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

Welcome to cloud computing. I use Mobileme but not for notes, that is what Evernote is for.

5. iAmYou macrumors 6502

iAmYou

I have never had an issue with notes and MobileMe.

6. jplusc macrumors 6502a

I use MobileMe to sync my notes without any problems. If you need to ditch MobileMe I would recommend emailing yourself the notes before you delete the account.

7. Fuchal macrumors 68020

This is only true if you have specifically chosen to sync Notes with MobileMe while adding your MobileMe account.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use evernote, it provides a better mechanism for organizing my notes as well as syncing across multiple computers and devices.

9. LeicaM13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Some of you are missing the point and seem to have your head in the clouds. Sorry, couldn't resist the pun. I'm not complaining that it does not work with Mobile Me, MobileMe has essentially kidnapped my autonomy over my Notes. Once I set it up to sync in the cloud, it effectively disabled my ability to sync it anywhere else without destroying all data. Which is exactly what happened. And without notice. Total bogus that I have to copy and paste all my Notes when its advertised to have such great sync powers. Dictatorial is all I can think about. Cloud is seeming more and more rather Borg-like to me.

10. Mac-Maine macrumors member

yeah cuz you can trust the good folks at Google

LOL ur nuts

11. shotts56 macrumors 6502

That's right, I've heard they're really evil and are desperate to get a hold of my notes to see what times the Heathrow Express leaves Paddington, or where I'm thinking about going on holiday to next year ...

12. alangrehan macrumors regular

I turned off notes in settings and they dissappeared.

I just turned notes sync back on and they reappeared so I'm not having the same problem.

13. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

You can sync Notes app with Google? Cool!

I use Notesy and sync through Dropbox, I can easily edit notes with a basic Notepad no extra applications needed.

14. Mobster Sauce macrumors member

If you restore your phone from a backup, the notes will be there. Just sayin'.

Your notes are still backed up via iTunes. They're also on your computer (if you have the same account on your computer) and you can sync the notes that way (by disabling MobileMe and syncing your notes through iTunes).

So, add me to the "not having a problem" group.

15. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

Where else do you need to see the notes? For example, I know that I can sync notes from the Mobileme cloud to my Mac and thus see the notes on my Mac, iPhone and iPad. I choose not to do this as I prefer Evernote.