Warning on Mac Station Vancouver - stay far away

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yogithom, May 15, 2009.

1. yogithom macrumors newbie

Took my MBP into Mac Station.

First, they drilled out the screws in the top case. Say wha?
    Claimed they were glued in. News to me, of course.
    Then they ordered a replacement part from Apple: $343 for a new top case.
    Oh, and it's not covered by AppleCare, I'm informed afterward, because of the glue.
    Well, stow the over priced part I didn't order and - giving them the benefit of the doubt that there is glue at all, I don't believe - and I'll get a $50 one used.
    Nope, non-returnable I am told.
    This !#^&!#) stupid fight I do not need. Save yourself the hassle and stay very far away from this place.

2. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

The screws for the actual body casing? They drilled them out...?!

They aren't glued in.

3. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

There feeding you BS there. No one would glue screws in. I would be pursuing that with apple.

4. magamo macrumors 6502

My 17" uMBP's screws were sort of glued with a blue substance. I venture a guess that it's meant to prevent screws from loosening due to vibration and whatnot, but I don't think you need an electric screw driver to unscrew them. Even my grandma can remove them with your average Philips screwdriver.

5. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

The blue substance on the screws is to stop the threads tearing is it not..? Don't think it is glue..

6. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

the blue substance is a thread locker. It holds the screws in during vibration. The company is trying to bill you for their mistake.

7. magamo macrumors 6502

So I googled a little and found this:

"Blue glue? it is called blue loctite and is used to prevent screws from backing out on their own by filling in the tiny spaces between the treads once screws in place. the nice thing about blue loctite is that in general it is not necessary to reapply it to the screw as long as you don't clean off blue residue from the screw and that the screw has only been removed and replaced several times. excessive removal of the screws will lessen the blue loctite's effectiveness and you should reapply it if this is a mission critical screw."

It doesn't seem Mac Station should charge any money for it.

8. Hayduke60 macrumors regular

The blue stuff is thread lock. A soft plastic that fills the voids between the threads, it keeps stuff from loosening up due to vibration and temperature changes. It's not glue. I'd go back and raise a really big stink. There is no reason to drill out the case screws, unless they stripped a few of them. They would pay for any and all damage to my computer.....and then some.

Wow you people are fast....

9. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...they F'd up your MBP and owe you a new machine FOC...

10. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Why didn't you just go to the Apple Store? Doesn't Vancouver have like two Apple Stores?

11. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

Geez! Sounds like they are hacks!

Thank god I live 30 minutes from an Apple store. I can't imagine going anywhere else to get my computers serviced. x.x

12. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Call up CSR and explain to them your problem clearly and throughly. They will then call them up for their story. If they investigate and find that you were treated unfairly, you will be compensated. In this case, if your MacBook Pro has been damaged, you will either get a new one or get the repair done free of charge.