Warning: Optical Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by austinford, Aug 22, 2008.

1. austinford macrumors newbie

So this is just a warning... Or advice.. I can't decide which. Story: I was attempting to burn a dvd for a friend. I put the dvd in the drive like normal and began the burning process. After about 2 minutes of burning I get a message saying that what I was trying to burn was too much information for the dvd which was clearly not the case. The dvd held 5gb and I wasn't even burning 1gb of information

So I thought that was weird and decided I'd just try again but of course this dvd was already screwed over so I try to eject and lo and behold... The eject button doesn't work. Nor does dragging it over to the trash or anything. Then slowly, one by one, my programs begin locking up: Safari, Itunes, Skype. And so I try a soft shut down and it just sits there. So I click shut down and leave it for like 5 minutes... Nothing.

So to my great dismay I do a manual restart (holding the power button down for 5 seconds) and it shuts down easily enough. When I try to power back up I hear the dong noise and the screen turns on and then it sits there. And I hear that pesky disk inside the drive mocking me as it scratches away trying to turn.

So I try to start up while holding the eject button and all the usual tricks and nothing works and my laptop is frozen at the stupid white startup screen. I'm finally resigning that I'm going to have to bring it in to fix this abnormal problem and in one final desperate attempt I turn my laptop face down and shake it and POP! The disk pops right out, nearly SHOOTS out of the optical drive and my computer proceeds to immediately start up.

So I guess this whole story was just to say: if your mbp ever starts to act up just give it a good shake or smack up the top and it'll start working good as new! :D Hehe. Sorta, at least. But yeah, any ideas what caused my computer to freeze up like that? But this post I guess is mostly to express my thankfulness that my baby is still working! I was worried for a second there!

2. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

Holding down the trackpad button while restarting is a better idea than shaking the laptop

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

That's terrible to hit your computer. I wouldn't surprise if that's why your optical drive is broken in the first place.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

ive never had a problem with my optical drives, they always pop right out when I drag the disc image to the trash or press the eject key..

5. austinford thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I tried that and nothing happened. Seriously. When I say nothing worked. I mean I tried everything and nothing worked. I think the computer was confusing itself and trying to spit out the disk but couldn't for some reason. When I shook it the disk must have unjammed and viola! It came right out and now my computer is good as new.

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Jesus... Dude, I'm surprised you've not bashed it one with a sledge hammer for good measure!! :D

7. MusicallySilent macrumors member

If there is one downside of slot loading drives it is definitely the potential to jam and not easily be taken out, unlike tray drives where if all else fails it can be pried out :p