Warning people who don't know enough to use BCC

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Doctor Q, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

When people send email in a single message to me and many other people they know, I'd like them to use BCC, not TO or CC, since my email address is usually none of those other recipients' business.

Of course, many people don't have the netiquette habits to do this. When I get one of these group emails, I politely ask the sender to either use BCC from now on or to take me off their mailing list or out of their address book. I usually get a "sorry, ok" reply, but they tend to forget, so they sometimes do it again. Even if they learn the lesson, somebody else will be next to do it the wrong way.

It occurs to me that when people make a common mistake, software can help. Wouldn't it be a good idea if Mac Mail and other email clients warned you, by default, if you put more than 2 people in the TO or CC field? They could pop up a message like "For the privacy of recipients, would you like to move these lists into the BCC field?" Users could either click "Yes" or "No".

Those of us who don't need it could disable the warning in the application preferences and never see this warning. But for others it might be just the thing, the same way a good email program should warn you if you leave the Subject field blank.

I think this feature might help people who value their privacy from strangers and even help the people who make this common netiquette mistake. Anybody else think so?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Most people don't even know that CC exists much less BCC. :(

3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....yeah, definitely a good idea - I've tried to "educate" people in the same way you have, and a few have caught on but others just don't have a clue....oh yeah!

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

In some email clients even if you use blind carbon copy if a person looks at the long headers they can still see all the recipients.

Not sure if that's the case with Apple mail.

5. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

It took me ages the other day to find the BCC option on Outlook at work, its not up the top with 'To' and 'CC' for some reason! Never really used apple's mail client just use online exchange because I'm lazy and cant be bothered to set it up! But I defiantly think that 'BCC' is way underused!!

6. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

As long as the CC option is still available, for use in business, where multi addys don't need to be hidden, and to make sure all respond to it. Other wise, Bcc with only the To being to the creator of the email. I use this method in most of my private convos, and also when forwarding items to share.

7. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

yup bcc is not that widely used!! i cant think why not neither. it seems like a bit of a waste of a protocol/element of a protocol doesnt it?

I'd probably use it, if i sent emails to multiple people in different friendship circles alot of the time, but i dont, so... well i dont lol

PTP

8. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

I love that idea. I can't stand clueless people spreading my address around. I would hope that this simple courtesy is taught in school these days.

9. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

I don't remember why I needed to use it, but just remember taking ages to find it! I don't really ever use it for anything, just that once. I don't see what's so wrong with sending two or three separate emails??

10. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The one disadvantage of using BCC, for the author of the message, is that later on he/she may not be able to see who the message was sent to. That probably depends on the email client. Either way, it's a small price to pay for being kind to others.