Warning. Placing iPhone 4/4S in case with magnet will destroy the compass!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by richard371, Oct 25, 2011.

1. richard371 macrumors 68000

This weekend I tried placing my iPhone 4S in a blackberry 9900 leather holster to see how it fit. Now when I try to use the compass or any app that uses the compass I always get prompted to calibrate it and have to do the figure 8 pattern for 10 seconds. I can be in the middle of an open field and always have to do this. I did not have to before. I tried rebooting the phone and a restore and it didn't resolve the issue. I don't know of anyway to degauss the phone.

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

If its being bumped around in your pocket with loads of little movements it is bound to lose its bearings. Thats why you need to calibrate it with a decent sized figure of 8 so it can tell which is its arse and which is its elbow.

3. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Once you do the calibration, does the compass seem to work OK?

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

Random data point: ipad2 compass function in Maps works fine and Apple themselves provides a magnetic cover using magnets in the ipad2 and in the cover.

@richard371: when you have the compass app open, does moving the magnetic case near/around the phone case affect the compass heading it shows if the phone remains sitting on a surface unmoving?

5. htrony macrumors newbie

6. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

7. htrony macrumors newbie

from the apple link I put earlier,

"After updating or restoring your device, you may notice that the recalibration alert appears more frequently. This is expected behavior, because the calibration database is being recreated. The frequency diminishes over time as you calibrate the device for various locations."

8. richard371 thread starter macrumors 68000

It seems to work ok but as soon as I exit and go back into it it tells me to recalibrate again. I assume the phone is magnetized permanently now. I can in the middle of a field and get this all the time now. FYI I am not using the Blackberry case anymore. it was only in there for about 15 seconds.