Warning: Potential issue with AirPort Utility 6.3 Update

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Mr_Ed, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Mr_Ed macrumors 6502

I just updated to AirPort Utility 6.3 and it cannot see either of my 2 Airport Extreme base stations. They are working and I'm online but they simply do not show up in the utility so I can configure them. It just sits there and spins the "working" wheel. Very frustrating. Running MacOS 10.8.3. The previous utility (6.2) worked fine and I used it earlier today. I found a couple of posts in the Apple support community pointing to the same issue so my experience may not be an isolated incident.

Not sure of the exact models of AE I have but the newer of the two is 802.11n with dual band and guest network support. The older of the two may not be 802.11n, not sure. They look the same :) and I am using that one in bridged mode to extend my wifi range on the 2.4GHz network. At any rate, these routers have been in use for years without issues, and the routers themselves work fine. The utility is the issue.

I don't have time to follow up and figure out the core problem so I restored my previous Airport Utility to my desktop from a backup and it works fine. Just wanted to alert others to a possible issue.

2. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

I have updated to Airport Utility 6.3, but can still see my AEBS fifth gen, however I am not offered the firmware update to 7.7.1, which I should be.

3. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

After the upgrade I see my TC, new type Express, and older vertical style express. No problems. Ready for the new TC tower to arrive next week. ;)

4. Mr_Ed thread starter macrumors 6502

5. chrfr macrumors 603

No, that firmware is for the base stations released yesterday.

6. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

Thanks chrfr, I missed that and am a bit out of date with the new ac band.

7. MrNomNoms macrumors 65816

MrNomNoms

It would be nice then for Apple to actually be accurate with their website information: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1665

8. chrfr macrumors 603

9. siots888 macrumors newbie

hi having exactly the same problem with mr ed. i couldn't downgrade my airport utility to 6.2. the mac OS dont allow me to install a lower version of airport utility.

10. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

Mine is working as advertised. I can see my work AEBS as well as my home units. All good.

11. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

12. jetlife2 macrumors regular

jetlife2

Didn't work for me either.

If you have a backup of 6.2 I recommend downgrading. I did and it worked fine again.

If you can't downgrade because the OS won't let you, manually sudo delete the 6.3 copy from the terminal then recopy the backup. If you want to do this but don't know how, find a friend who does, because you can break something if you aren't careful.

13. Mr_Ed thread starter macrumors 6502

That should work. You can also restore the older utility from a backup to another location for the time being. When looking at your old utility folder in Time Machine, right click on the utility to get a "Restore to..." Option.

14. metier macrumors member

I'm having the same issue, with a caveat.
    15 rmbp has the issue not able to open my time capsule with the airport utility, but wifi works just fine.
    mac min has the same issue
    13 mac air no problem I can access the time capsule with the airport utility.

Pat

15. siots888 macrumors newbie

called up apple & confirmed they have issue with v6.3. the apple lady recommended to downgrade by moving airport utility v6.3 to desktop before installing v6.2. will try later tonight if this will work.
    what a foolish upgrade :mad:

16. ZipZap macrumors 601

I have never been able to successfully upgrade firmware on an Extreme. I stick with the out of the box firmware install, and when a new device is released I move up.

17. oxocube macrumors member

I turned on IPV6, as suggested by someone in the Apple support forums, and that fixed the problem. Utility 6.3 now sees all of my devices.

18. Mr_Ed thread starter macrumors 6502

Ditto. An Apple support tech suggested this via email and it worked for me also.

19. mackguy macrumors newbie

AirPort Utility 6.3 Upgrade Question

Hello Mr. Ed,
    I'm a little leary of upgrading to AirPort Utility 6.3 after reading your recent posts. You mentioned talking to Apple Support about upgrading and the support rep told you to use: IPV6- what exactly is that? I asked MY DSL Provider (Frontier) and they are totally non-technical when it comes to this. Then I mentioned I was using a Mac and then sat on hold till I got someone who was reading cut-lines out of a book. After a frustrating 45 minutes the guy said- 'sorry, you're on your own'! I did a search and came across (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4667) but without getting my Service Provider to give me a IPv6 address, router address, and prefix length- I'm dead in the water.
    Is it possible to hide this update so everything the App Updater doesn't ask me to update this?
    Please let me know- thanks!:)

20. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

You can turn on IPv6 support, but you don't have to set it up and actually use it across your network.

21. Mr_Ed thread starter macrumors 6502

You don't have to actually use IP v6 for your own networking and applications but apparently the v6.3 version of the utility uses it to communicate with the AirPort stations. If you go into your Mac's System Preferences->Network, select your main network interface, then select the "Advanced..." button, you should see a "TCP/IP" tab. In there there is an IPv6 configuration section. Selecting the "Link Local" option for IP v6 configuration pulldown list in my machine allowed the v6.3 utility to see my routers again.

22. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I have a last gen AEBS and My IPv6 setting is "Automatically" and Airport 6.3 utility finds it just fine.

23. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Thanks, changing that setting has fixed it for me. :)