Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisFromCanada

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2004
Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
firewire2001 said:
In Final Cut Pro (and in most applications), if you open the Application's package, there is a file called "Info.plist" under the "Contents" folder. If you open this file up, you will notice a line which reads, among other things, "AELRequiredCPUType" for which the value is "G4" and "AELMinimumCPUSpeedSingle" for which the value is something like "500".

Without a doubt, I am absolutely sure that you could get the Pro Apps to run on the x86 machines by editing this file. I am not sure to what you would change the CPU Value (I would conjecture though that you would want to make the value something like "x86"). I use this trick on my G4 Cube to override the minimum processor speed of 500mhz required by Final Cut Pro (my cube has a 400mhz processor).

If anyone wants any help with this just drop me a PM. I would be delighted to see this working on an x86...

--aryeh

There is no way this will work. If it was this easy Apple would have just issued an update. I have used the same sort of trick in the past, but this is a lot more complicated.

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
caveman_uk said:
The fact that altivec is unsupported on Rosetta doesn't deter you at all then? Good luck! :rolleyes:
Rosetta supports Altivec...It supports all G4 SIMD codes. :)

Also to the poster who said Apple should now optimize for MMX, don't you mean SSE3? Apple was optimizing for SSE3 and SSE2 in the OS X developer releases, not sure about 10.4.4 though.

portent

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2004
From the MacInTouch review of the iMac Core Duo
[...]Apple's own new Aperture application makes heavy use of animation in the user interface, and this cripples it under Rosetta; it visibly stutters, as it tries to slide photos around the screen. (We saw better performance on a three-year old, unsupported PowerBook G4.) It's very slow to create image thumbnails, and photos take a long time to load into the viewer.

Yet, to our great surprise, when we exported a set of Canon EOS 300D RAW images to 16-bit TIFF files, Aperture under Rosetta lagged a 2.1 GHz iMac G5 by only 20%. When exporting to JPEG, it lagged by just 10%!

In both cases, Aperture used both cores of the CPU to do the job, so it appears to make up for the loss of speed from translation with the Core Duo's extra CPU — an example of the usefulness of that duo core, and a tribute to the work Apple and Transitive put into Rosetta's emulation.

(Apple does not support Aperture or any of its Pro applications under Rosetta. We had to hack our copy of Aperture to make it run on the Core Duo.)
[...]
And while Rosetta does support the G4 AltiVec "Velocity Engine" instructions, they are very slow — support is there for compatibility, not speed.
(Emphasis mine.)

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
caveman_uk said:
The fact that altivec is unsupported on Rosetta doesn't deter you at all then? Good luck! :rolleyes:

Rosetta has supported Altivec for a while now. That's not the problem with the Pro apps. (And even if they did run, they'd be too slow to be useable anyway. Anything CPU-intensive does not emulate well. UT2004--which is more CPU-intensive than GPU-intensive--getting about 8fps proves that.)

--Eric

theknowles

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2006
ok so can someone clear this up, ive heard quite a few different things, most people say that pro apps willnot run on the new intel mac, and others say that final cut 5 etc will run onit:confused: . which is it? cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.