Warning to Apple Wireless Keyboard owners

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by imrealldum, Feb 21, 2011.

1. imrealldum macrumors newbie

If you have the wireless keyboard, I have some tips you need to follow.
    1. When it says low batteries, don't try to be clever like I did and keep using them, then flip them around to keep using them. They'll explode.
    2. If they explode, most likely your keyboard is finished. Once that acid leaks into your keyboard, it will not stop for anything.

Proof- I had a new generation keyboard, and tried to use the batteries till they were entirely drained. That turned into a horror show after they exploded inside. I managed to get both of them out, but when I put my ear close to the opening I could still hear fizzing. So I attempted to use baking soda and a little bit of water to neutralize the acid as was recommended by posts I found on internet. After that failed, I got a little more desperate and just poured small amounts of solution into the battery compartment. That's when I realized the water passed right through the other end into the circuitry, and just vented on the keyboard. Eventually I decided to see what it would take to stop the fizzing, and submerged the entire keyboard in my sink full of water for a solid five minutes. When I pulled it out, the fizzing was still there! :mad: So now I'm drying it before I chuck it.
    If you read all this, thanks for listening to my sob story. btw here are some pics of the damage.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Well, if you didn't soak it in water, Apple probably would have replaced it for free.

3. imrealldum thread starter macrumors newbie

That thought crossed my mind, but I bet they would have just blamed the batteries. Guess I'll always have that what if feeling though :(

4. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

I have a question. What brand/model of batteries did you use?

5. imrealldum thread starter macrumors newbie

plain energizers

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

7. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Wow crazy, might have been bad batteries.

BTW I recommend Sanyo Eneloop batteries. They last forever on a charge.

8. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Yikes, good to know. Sorry to see this though.

9. hankolerd macrumors 6502

hankolerd

I would take it in to an apple store anyway and explain your case. A keyboard is a pretty low cost item and they will probably just replace it instead of wasting time trying to explain it isn't covered. i just replaced mine last week after the batteries were at 10%. I was surprised they only lasted about 3 months. Did you try your keyboard after it dried? I spilled the better part of a cup of coffee on mine, just tipped it over until it stopped dripping and kept using it, it still works fine. It was a bit sticky for a couple days, but that was it.

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The OP completely submerged his keyboard in water. The Apple Store won't replace it because it's water sensors are now pink/red.

11. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

I suspect this was the key problem:

"...then flip them around to keep using them."

12. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

+1 if you are looking at rechargeable batteries these are the best. Hold their charge also when not in use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. imrealldum thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't change the polarities. I just reordered them since that usually gets a little bit more juice before the batteries die.

14. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

How about the batteries that Apple sells? The rechargeable ones?

15. imrealldum thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I remember that a little while after those were released, people figured out they were just rebranded eneloops. So either of those will be fine for a keyboard. Personally I have some rechargeable energizers for my mouse which last quite a while (and don't explode :()

16. mizvalorie macrumors member

I have ran my batteries down until the keyboard shut off. Sounds like you had bad batteries.

I would have taken it to Apple before trying water and baking soda.

17. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Got it. I was wondering...:)

18. Vice92 macrumors regular

The baking soda was a good idea, but why would you add water?