Warning To O2 UK Customers Wanting a 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by borisiii, Oct 10, 2011.

1. borisiii macrumors 6502

I am with O2, and on Saturday I called them to discuss upgrading. They confirmed that I could pay a £160 'fast-track upgrade' fee to get the 4S at the subsidised price. It worked out cheaper than buying a 4S sim free, so my plan was sorted.

Today I went to the Liverpool O2 store that I was planning to get my 4S from, just to check that what I was told on the phone was true.

Well well well...

Apparently lots of people are trying to do the same as me, and O2 are worried they will run out of stock. They have silently introduced a new policy - you won't be able to upgrade this Friday unless you are on a contract costing more than £40 per month (mine is £37). They aren't announcing the change so I think a lot of o2 customers will be very disappointed on Friday.

I went to the Apple store, and they confirmed after checking my eligibility that I was no longer able to upgrade because o2 had pulled their existing offer.

Looks like I'll be buying a sim free phone...

Long story short: If you are on o2 and want a 4S on launch day, you won't be able to upgrade unless your contract costs more than £40 per month. Your only alternative is to wait a few weeks for O2 to change its policy back, or buy a 4S sim free from the Apple store.

2. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

Could you have added a bolt-on to the contract for a month or two to take it over £40 temporarily? If so then it's an even more stupid policy.

3. ThetaSigma macrumors regular

O2 done something like this with the iPhone 4. They weren't selling it to anyone who wasn't on contract with them, and if you wanted to take out a contract with them or go PAYG then you had to wait a month.

Ended up going to the Apple Store to get an iPhone 4, back to the O2 store to get a microsim and that was me sorted :)

4. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

This is nonsense. All existing O2 pay monthly customers who are out of contract, or eligible for an early upgrade with O2 Priority, are equally eligible for the iPhone 4S come Friday/

5. hobsgrg macrumors 6502

It's not nonense! We aren't talking about those people, but rather people who are still in a contract, until a few days ago they could pay an early "fast track upgrade" fee to upgrade sooner than normal. For me that fee would be £27 as I got an 18 month contract on the iPhone 4 release day. Now O2 are saying I can't pay £27 to upgrade early!!!

6. bryanjc macrumors regular

Another benefit of buying sim-free

give the carriers the middle finger, that disgusting behaviour.

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

My Sentiments Exactly

Alway's buy SIM free from Apple. If O2 start mucking with my data plan it's adios!

8. moel macrumors 6502

o2 have been flaunting their disgusting behaviour now for 2 years, thats why i'm departing them at the end of this week.

Then encountered my ire when they ended 'unlimited data' with the release of the 4, and then to not take pre-orders and offer v.wanky contracts these days was the final straw.

Screw them.

9. randystand macrumors 6502

I found this out Saturday..... And was the reason I handed my notice in. Told them exactly why I was leaving and how their shoddy preparation of this launch has forced people to leave. My contract terminates on 7th November, my termination fee of £62 will come through end of November and my new iPhone 4s is being delivered by the Carphone warehouse through Orange on Friday.

10. Iphone3gs macrumors 6502

Another reason why yrou should leave O2 while you can

Another shambles from expensive bump O2

11. leowyatt macrumors regular

I'm astonished at O2 charging you for a data bundle when the other carriers include it in their tariffs.

Luckily for me my O2 contract ends on Saturday so I'll get my phone saturday morning and contact O2 the same day for my PAC code.

12. Iphone3gs macrumors 6502

Don't be astonished O2 have done worst then that

Other networks offer unlimited data you may want to go to them

13. borisiii thread starter macrumors 6502

No, sadly that won't work. If you add anything to your account it won't take effect until your next billing cycle, so you can't use that trick if you want one on Friday. The guy in the store was pretty helpful and tried to find ways around it, including calling customer services, but there was no way past it because the computer system wouldn't let him process an upgrade on anything less than a £40 contract. Even by his admission it was 'pretty ***** of O2'.

The thing I find so stupid about it all is that they were the last network to announce their prices, and yet they have still managed to screw everything up by withdrawing their fast-track upgrade packages just in time for the release. If they had withdrawn the option before announcing the prices, fine, but I wonder how many people will line up outside an O2 store on Friday having planned to do an early upgrade only to be screwed over and left without an iPhone by the network that promises to reward their loyalty by saving iPhone stocks for their existing customers.

My opinion of O2 has dropped significantly in the wake of all this...

14. iPaddy macrumors 6502

Had the exact same issue with my mum.
    She's been with o2 for FIFTEEN years, she wanted her first iPhone, so was going to get the 4s on Friday.
    After being told it'd be £100 for an early upgrade, o2 have now said that isn't possible, that option has been taken away.

So a customer of 15 years have basically been snubbed. She'll be leaving them at the end of the month.

15. lc25 macrumors 6502

This is why i have decided to leave o2 and will be buying sim free and going with three on the £25 sim only all you can eat data contract (includes tethering)

16. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I would have liked to buy mine outright on an 02 payg contract but i have to wait until its available on payg !

They had no issues taking the £504 I paid for the iPhone 4 !

If I order thro apple I'm looking at 3-4 weeks lead time and my nearest apple uk store is over an hour away on the train.

So instead of rushing out getting stressed trying to buy one ill be upgrading to ios5 and enjoying that while i read all the new threads about lines of people standing outside, not getting one or being impressed or not being impressed by one.

Ill keep my £500 in my pocket for now !

17. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Stories like this one are exactly why I always buy my iPhone direct from Apple and put a PAYG SIM in the device. All but two of my contacts are on O2, so for £15 a month I get O2 to O2 calls and texts unlimited for the month and £10 from that £15 pays for my 1GB web allowance.

So for £15 I get unlimited calls and texts to O2 numbers, 1GB web allowance, and £5 remaining credit.

I hate the control that carrier's seem to enjoy over us.

----------

Why pay O2 for an iPhone locked to them on PAYG, when for the same price you can go to Apple and buy the phone outright unlocked? Best option, I feel like my iPhone is actually MINE.

18. kaibex macrumors 6502

kaibex

Which network is that again??? :D:D:D

19. Deako macrumors 6502

Something that follows Two? :confused::D

20. Lostanddamned macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

Doesn't it go "one, two, sorry I haven't got any signal, three are guff around here, four"?

21. fifi77 macrumors regular

I found this out at the weekend. There still seems to be some confusion amongst O2 Customer Services about whether the £40 includes a bolt on or not. I've been told both that it does and that it doesn't! I pay £41 a month, including a bolt on, so I think I'm eligible for a fast track upgrade - I just don't want to take the chance of turning up at a shop on Friday morning and queuing for ages only to be told that I'm not!

22. Iphone3gs macrumors 6502

This reminds me of O2 bad customer service

At&t and O2 in their USA and in the uk were the first to have iPhones they took it for granted all these customers that they have that they treat them like crsp

Similar to O2

23. Mr.C macrumors 601

Yeah just don't go with Three instead as they are a lot worse especially their customer service and 24 month only contracts. ;) :D

24. Iphone3gs macrumors 6502

They have one month roll in and 12 month sim only contracts too

And pay as you go

Those iPhone 24 month contracts at least they are value for money then rip off waste man O2 they should be called C2H6 (methane fart gas)

25. hobsgrg macrumors 6502

The terms and conditions say:-

Fast Track Upgrade (the "Offer") is available to you if you're an existing consumer Pay Monthly or Business customer (who signed up in an O2 Shop, through O2 telesales or through o2.co.uk more than three months ago) or simplicity customer (who signed up in an O2 Shop or through o2.co.uk more than six months ago) on O2 who is still within the minimum term of their contract and, for consumer customers only, has monthly subscription charge (including any data Bolt Ons) of more than £40 per month (an "Eligible Customer").If you're a consumer simplicity customer and you've been on simplicity for less than 6 months, but with O2 for more than that, then you are an Eligible Customer.

So yes you would be eligible