Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
OK, so I finally figured out what has been devouring my data.

Podcasts!

Even tho a podcast downloads at 65MB if you stream it, it streams at a rate of about 1.5-2.0 MB/s!!!

I blasted thru 200MB in a matter of minutes!

I decided to test today if that was the problem. So last nite on wifi I downloaded the podcast I was going to listen to today. As a result, I used 10MB total today, as opposed to over 700MB the day before!

So, be careful if you are a podcaster! Always download on wifi before using it, because if it detects Wifi it will BURN you!

Chargerdan

macrumors member
May 24, 2011
I'm glad you found the answer to your problem.

May I ask which podcast app you're using? If its the Apple one I would give it a low rating in the app store if it behaves like this.

I use Downcast and it allows me to listen while it downloads the podcast. So it gives the feeling of streaming but obviously doesn't use nearly as much data.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I'm glad you found the answer to your problem.

May I ask which podcast app you're using? If its the Apple one I would give it a low rating in the app store if it behaves like this.

I use Downcast and it allows me to listen while it downloads the podcast. So it gives the feeling of streaming but obviously doesn't use nearly as much data.

Yes it's Apples podcast app.

The reason I use it is because the podcast I listen to most is premium and requires a login to download. It is the most convenient platform. I used to use Stitcher, but they started hosting other podcasts that got mixed in with theirs...so it got messy. But downloading ahead of time fixed the issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.