WARNING! Weird vibrations from Fujitsu drives in new Blackbooks?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Macula, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Macula macrumors 6502

Macula

In a response to another thread I opened earlier today regarding the hard drive models used in the new Macbooks, a macrumors member replied that he returned two new (2.4 GHz Penryn) Macbooks to Apple because, as he suspected, the 250GB/5400RPM Fujitsu hard drives they shipped with were causing excessive vibrations.

He added that the third Blackbook he received from Apple contained a Hitachi 250GB/5400RPM and turned out to be fine -- no vibrations.

Does anyone else have a similar experience to share? Are Fujitsu drives suspicious? And why does Apple use dissimilar drives for the same model? Doesn't this result in performance inconsistencies?

I was about to order a Blackbook today but I have now grown a little skeptical and reluctant.

Thank you.

2. coltks2004 macrumors newbie

The hard drives will all have the same specs. Almost all computer manufactures do this. They buy a bunch of hard drives in bulk from whichever manufacture offers the cheapest price at the time. They are both great drives and his vibrations could of just been a freak event. This same variation in hard drive could be seen in the original xbox. Users were finding that their hard drives were varying in size, some had 8 gigs, while others were getting 20 gigs. This was caused from the very high demand and them just dumping whatever drive they could get their hands on into the system. I would not worry about what brand of hard drive you are getting in your macbook. Either way it will run fine, if not apple will back it up.