Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigCanoe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 13, 2003
Hi! Is there an app or service that will raise an alarm on my Apple Watch when I am about to leave my iPhone behind or get out of range of the phone?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Yes, there is. The app is called "Phone Buddy." Excellent app with very attentive developers. I use it.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Yes, there is. The app is called "Phone Buddy." Excellent app with very attentive developers. I use it.

thanks, so, when you loose bluetooth (say you go from one corner of your house downstairs to the opposite corner upstairs or, in my case go to the mailbox ~150ft away) it alerts you right away? or is there a delay?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
thanks, so, when you loose bluetooth (say you go from one corner of your house downstairs to the opposite corner upstairs or, in my case go to the mailbox ~150ft away) it alerts you right away? or is there a delay?
There is usually a very slight delay of a few seconds. This was done on purpose by the developers so as to not trigger a false alarm (as it were).

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
There is usually a very slight delay of a few seconds. This was done on purpose by the developers so as to not trigger a false alarm (as it were).
that makes sense as there could be many reasons for a short ( < 1-2 sec) loss of BT connectivity ...
I realize it depends on your individual circumstances, but how often do you get notified?
I do get my own reminder, when I leave the house by car, I do listen to streaming audio, so I know right away if I forgot my phone :) but I can certainly see the usefulness of that app

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
that makes sense as there could be many reasons for a short ( < 1-2 sec) loss of BT connectivity ...
I realize it depends on your individual circumstances, but how often do you get notified?
I do get my own reminder, when I leave the house by car, I do listen to streaming audio, so I know right away if I forgot my phone :) but I can certainly see the usefulness of that app
I get notified 2 - 3 times a day while at work.

Reactions: jz0309
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.