WARNING wireless keyboard no numberpad

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by thevibesman, Jan 20, 2008.

1. thevibesman macrumors regular

Why Apple started to make their wireless keyboards for the Pro w/o numberpads is a mystery to me, but they did. In case I'm not the only foolish one out there who did not know this, here's your warning before your mac pro arrives sans numberpad. Luckily I noticed and was able to reorder.

2. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Well done and congratulations on noticing....

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Now now. :/

Yes, Apple made some real nice wireless keyboard and removed the number pad. Not a big deal for say someone who has always used a notebook, but for many the lack of a number pad means I won't use the new wireless keyboard. I use it way too much for work and personal use and the quick "10-key by touch" functionality is more important than having the latest and greatest keyboard. My hopes is that the number of people who want a number pad exceed those who do not and Apple listens to us worker bees.

4. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

I agree most people won't use this keyboard one their lap and I really think they should offer both.

5. LostSunrise macrumors member

Devils Advocate

I can see the logic of this in a way. Let me first say I totally agree and would buy a microsoft key and mouse set before I got this keyboard. I love they're mice. But imagine how a nice narrow wireless keyboard would sit on a coffee table for a media computer. If I ever do something like that or they expand the capabaility of the apple tv I would use a keyboard like that. FOR EVERYTHING ELSE I want the dang num pad.

6. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

I agree they should offer both, but they've been out for months now. If you're upgrading your order as the OP did, you should really check beforehand what you're ordering?

For a home set up I think they're amazing (I have one), but for an office or work environment wher you use numbers a lot, I can see them being inconvenient (I use one of the older white ones at work).

For what its worth, I think quite a few re-sellers may still have stock of the older white one. In my local JB store they have dozens on the shelves for about a 25% markdown.

7. Kuraudo macrumors member

Apple keyboards always look nice but they are never appealing to those with carpal tunnel or impairment issues like me. They cannot top microsoft for better keyboards for ergonomic support, or other brands for gaming features. The lack of a num keyboard support really sucks. My fingers just cramp up using traditional keyboards. Did microsoft get a monopoly on all the ergononomic keyboards?

Its not the fastest type of keyset either. Of all the things I love about apple, i hate their mice and keyboards. Looks nice for a display, but thats about it. (all looks and no function for me)

8. musicforme macrumors member

musicforme

I'd love to have an aluminum wireless keyboard, but I have to have the number pad on the right. I do too much work for school (MBA student) and for my employer to go without the number pad.

I imagine it is s only a matter of time before one is released.

9. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

I'm contemplating getting the Apple Blue Tooth wireless keyboard. Being a complete Blue Tooth noob, I have to ask... What's the range on these things?
    And how do they function outside of OSX? Say when you want to boot into a BootCamp partition by holding down the alt key after a restart.
    Does it sense the Alt key press and present you with the boot selector?

10. apachie2k macrumors 6502

apachie2k

i would hope so also, but as i recall they are fairly new, so i doubt there will be a new one anytime soon...:(

11. termina3 macrumors 65816

Bluetooth ranges vary by location--but it should cover most any room. Yes, it works outside of OS X.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You are correct, but if I wanted to play on WebTV I would. ;) Thanks to Apple for bringing back WebTV's keyboard!

But in all seriousness, it wouldn't be bad if you needed/wanted to use a mac in your living room.

13. thevibesman thread starter macrumors regular

Should? Yes. I will be the first to admit I was a fool for being lulled into a false sense of security in that the last time I bought a keyboard from Apple that didn't have a numberpad (notebooks aside) was my Mac Plus....ah, phone jacks.

14. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

I don't use mine at home on my lap. A 23" monitor, wireless MM and keyboard make for a pretty good home set up for my PowerBook.

The keyboard does lend itself to ideas of Elliot Carver style handheld/lap use, but I honestly doubt the majority use it that way.

15. MikeL macrumors 6502

I ordered one of the new ones. I've got a nice Logitech wireless, too, plus a pile of old Apple ones. It might come in handy to have the new one sometime.

There are plenty of keyboard options out there. Logitech and MS are the most obvious choices, but there are many, many others, too. We've never had so much choice. Doesn't anybody remember the ADB days? Or worse, the old phone plugs?

Apple used to make a well-designed ergonomic keyboard. Nobody (or not enough people) bought it. Such is life.

16. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

I'm lucky in that I bought one of the last white extended bluetooth keyboards at the local Mac supply shop, as I need the number pad for InDesign shortcut keys. I still need another for our media centre/play computer, but the new one would work for that. Except it's too sweet lookin' for our kids to use.

17. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

I'm really glad I got the old wireless keyboard with a number pad when I did.

I don't much like the new keyboards. The new keys are too slippery.

18. Soop53 macrumors regular

Soop53

I ordered my Pro today with the wireless keyboard. Did not know it did not have a key pad. Shouldn't be a problem as I usually do not use the key pad.

Question? I have a MS keyboard USB...will it work on the Pro?

19. Graphis macrumors member

I don't see the big deal. I never used the number pad so will never miss it. The numbers across the top were fine for me. It's just the way you type, that's all. What's the point in having 2 sets of number keys? Learn to type like normal folks instead.

20. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Heh. Been using the PC laptop keyboard, and the very so-so keyboard that came with my beige.... got annoyed with the Beige keyboard, and bought another Apple M3501 keyboard (the ones that shipped with the Mac IIs). They were, I think, $100 twenty years ago... indisputably the best keyboard Apple has ever made, unless they've done something recently with the wireless ones I'm not aware of (last time I checked, the snow white ones going along with eMacs- and I believe the rest of their line- in 2005 sucked too). http://www.farclip.com/hardware/images/Apple_ExtendedKeyboardII-M3501.jpg

If you don't mind it not being wireless, it's a seriously great keyboard... it's not a membrane keyboard, or a hybrid, it has a real switch under each key. I'd swear my WPM has like, doubled. You could buy the Griffin iMate to bridge the ADB to USB: http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imate

Edit: http://matias.ca/tactilepro2/ These guys apparently sell what they consider a resurrection of the best keyboard Apple ever made. Actually, that's their advertisement: "'The best keybaord Apple ever made' rises again."

Check it out. They're selling for $150.. two USB ports, which are apparently USB 2.0 for high-speed peripherals.

21. Martin C macrumors 6502a

Martin C

It should fine if it has a USB connector.

22. thevibesman thread starter macrumors regular

In some software (e.g. Sibelius, Finale, Max/MSP, and more) the row of numbers and the number pad have different functions, so no matter your normal folks typing skills, the one set will do you no good.

23. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

24. fernmeister macrumors regular

Yes, not having a numberpad totally cripples Sibelius.

25. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Did you ignore the tremendous amount of photos available of the wireless keyboard. This is no surprise.