Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

01silver4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2014
Florida
To those of you with AW my 42mm stainless steel apple watch display is on its way out after 15months of light use, can see the display when outside and I am out of warranty and didn't get Apple care + for it and i was told by apple if they have to replace it, the cost will be $250 so for those of you purchasing these watches make sure you get Apple care+ at least it will protect you for another year. My wife 38mm stainless steel is still going strong though, always got Apple care for all my apple products iPhone, matchbook pro etc but not the watch. Just thought if i didn't drop it or miss use it i would be good to go now i am looking at $250 if it as to be replaced.

I think apple should at least give us 2years on these watches seeing that they are not cheap to begin with my CITZEN ECO DRIVE is five years warranty and it was $750 new. Apple says the AW is the number 2 watch in the world now behind ROLEX so i think they should give a little better warranty being the #2 in the world and all. So you guys i would strongly suggest getting the apple care+ when purchasing these watches cheers.

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
To those of you with AW my 42mm stainless steel apple watch display is on its way out after 15months of light use, can see the display when outside and I am out of warranty and didn't get Apple care + for it and i was told by apple if they have to replace it, the cost will be $250 so for those of you purchasing these watches make sure you get Apple care+ at least it will protect you for another year. My wife 38mm stainless steel is still going strong though, always got Apple care for all my apple products iPhone, matchbook pro etc but not the watch. Just thought if i didn't drop it or miss use it i would be good to go now i am looking at $250 if it as to be replaced.

I think apple should at least give us 2years on these watches seeing that they are not cheap to begin with my CITZEN ECO DRIVE is five years warranty and it was $750 new. Apple says the AW is the number 2 watch in the world now behind ROLEX so i think they should give a little better warranty being the #2 in the world and all. So you guys i would strongly suggest getting the apple care+ when purchasing these watches cheers.

My ss 42 screen is still ok man. But will keep an eye on it. Out door viewing in strong light has always been an issue. So what you going to do?

ApplePhy

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2013

You're making me think twice now about possibly adding AppleCare+. I preordered a 42mm SS Series 2 for delivery 9/21 (got bumped up a week), and no AppleCare.

How much is it? What does it cover for  watch exactly?

01silver4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2014
Florida
My ss 42 screen is still ok man. But will keep an eye on it. Out door viewing in strong light has always been an issue. So what you going to do?
they say for me to send it in because it may not need to be replace it could be something else that can be fix, so i am thinking about doing that. The thing is that the resale value on this watch is rather poor so i don't know if spending upwards to $250 to fix or replace is even worth it at this point.
[doublepost=1474070297][/doublepost]
You're making me think twice now about possibly adding AppleCare+. I preordered a 42mm SS Series 2 for delivery 9/21 (got bumped up a week), and no AppleCare.

How much is it? What does it cover for  watch exactly?
I think when the first gen came out Apple care + was like $50 or so and it would cover things like this accidental damages etc. you can go on there website and read about it some more, but i would encourage you to get it just incase. i never would have taught that i would be having trouble with my display i have pretty much babied the watch since new.

Reactions: ApplePhy

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
No need to buy AC+ as I already have Amex Extended Warranty. It'll cover any manufacturing defects in the 2nd year and I'm not concerned about accidental damage. It's free too.

01silver4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2014
Florida
Should've bought the AppleCare+
Yes you are right, but I have been thinking Apple says that there are # 2 watch brand in the world behind Rolex yet they only give you one year warranty and 2 it you buy Apple care+ my CITIZEN ECO DRIVE Aqua diver comes with 5year warranty paid $750 for it, it has a digital and analog display I know they are two different watches but I think Apple could give us a longer warranty at least two and then you buy Apple care extending it to three.

rdavis41

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2009
You have 30 days from delivery to purchase AppleCare. If you want to add it I'd call Apple now and have it added. Not a problem and should take minutes to do.

FinnPhone

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2012
Luckily living in EU area so practically my Apple watch will have 2 years "warranty". Defect liability should give me one extra year cases like this.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Regarding credit card extended warranties, Amex is generally regarded as excellent. But they only add one year and doesn't apply if you purchase an extended warranty (like Applecare).

I just found out that the Costco Citibank card gives two years and it starts after the extended warranty. Also it says that only a portion of the purchase had to be on the card, so you might be able to use gift cards to fund a portion of the purchase.

I've never had to use the Costco card warranty, so I'm not sure how hassle free it is.

YMMV

rdavis41

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2009
Also, If I remember correctly the warranty starts at the date of purchase of the warranty, not of the product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.