Warnings after shut down and restart

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Peter Franks, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

[​IMG]

When battery runs out and clock goes back 8 years when you switch back on.
    Always thought the memory of computer kept time and wifi network, both of which were forgotten by MBP but on the odd occasion it runs out before shut down, this happens

Have allowed both, no risks involved there I assume?
    Just wondered, thanks

2. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Time is kept by a computer's NVRAM. Aside from the main battery, computers have an extra battery meant to last many, many years without needing a charge, and this keeps the NVRAM running, so even if the computer battery dies, the time and date is kept. How old is your Mac? The NVRAM battery may have died, meaning it can only keep time as long as it's running. I'd recommend flushing the NVRAM.

I don't think there's a problem allowing those, no. As long as they've not been replaced by malicious versions, they're Apple software. I'm pretty sure they should be allowed by default though - have you tried repairing permissions?
    Judging by the aqua interface, you're on an older OS X version - which is it?

3. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi, thanks, yes... 10.6.8 Snow Leopard, but I had that problem from when new, 4/5 years ago that it lost the time when battery died. It only does it when computer turns itself off because charge doesn't get to it in time.

4. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

If it's been a problem since lt was new, you should've complained. Sounds like the NVRAM battery has either been faulty to begin with, or heck, missing entirely.

5. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, Yeh has always done this. I try never to let it get to complete discharge so it doesn't happen. In 5 years it's like 4 times it's happened. Always try to plug in before it gets there. Don't think other things are affected. Maybe the brightness setting. Sometimes on start up it's on 1 bar of brightness for no reason. But not much else I don't think.

6. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Brightness and volume are also saved by the NVRAM

7. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Ahh!! then your assumption is spot on! It doesn't work! And I've had that exact problem from new.... 2011 MBP.

8. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Don't think there's much to do about it now unless clearing the NVRAM works. At least not if you're not willing to pay for the repair

9. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

I think if I don't change battery and HD soon, I will need a new MBP anyway

10. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Well, yeah, there's that, haha. Swapping the HD for an SSD is easy and relatively cheap on the 2011's though. So that aspect at least should be manageable if you want to go that route.

11. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

hah! I know I will break something if I attempt that myself! If I swapped out HD I would HAVE to do battery too. It's a disaster waiting to happen....

12. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Is the battery really that bad? When I sold off my 2011 two years ago, it's battery health was still at 94% original capacity and I'd used it pretty much every day.

13. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

I have.... It won't be pretty. I just mess something up or will lose back up or not install properly afterwards

It was rubbish when new, mine is on 86% battery health and I use it every day for work and home, and average stuff 4 hours max, and YouTube for half hour will take it from 100% to 30%. Video or YouTube generally kills it, and don't even think about a DVD. But I don't believe that 86% anyway. It's always been bad from day one. And stories about the latest MBP battery being lousy doesn't fill me with joy. I switched to Apple when I bought this in 2011 because everyone told me I'd get 10 hours out of it. Not even close. Same as when I switched to using iPhones which must be around 2008 and I've never owned one of them with a decent battery life either. That's my only gripe with Apple. It should be page 1 stuff to find a decent battery life.

14. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

You have had the worst luck in the world, mate. I mean, regarding iPhones, I think I'm just lucky because I'm the only one I know aside from my girlfriend who's happy with the battery life (I get 3 to 4 days on a full charge, where others get about 1). But with MacBooks, well, you should've really returned yours when you got it. Between the NVRAM not working and this battery issue, your machine sounds defected from birth. On my 2011 I got more than the 10 hours advertised if not doing video editing (not just watching - that could easily lend me hours on end). On my 2014, I get around 14 hours of light use. And keep in mind that I still got 10 hours on my 2011 in early 2014 when it broke due to a GPU issue. (fixed free of charge)

15. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

I cannot believe you're talking days on iphone and not hours? I charge mine 2 or 3 times a day! That's very impressive. Which model is it? Before I start getting the screwdriver out, I'll wait to see if they fix the battery problem on the new one. Does your fan come on more as it got older when watching anything on YouTube or other video sites? Mine never used to go ballistic with the fan as much as it does now. The HD vids on YouTube even if only couple of minutes

16. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

My iPhone now is the 6, but I got 1.3 to 1.5 days on my 4S and my dad's SE is going 3.5 days at a time.

Fans never really spun up unless I did video editing, games or the like. Not to an extend I noticed anyway. At most they'd go to 2300RPM with such stuff (normal is 2000RPM)

17. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

I am in two minds about the 6 or 7, Currently still with 5S and well overdue for an upgrade.... Still like the design, so SE would be obvious choice, but probably time for a bigger screen.

Yeh, mine will run at 2000 but YouTube will make it go very high, and some other video sites

18. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Well, form factor is a matter of personal opinion, and bigger isn't always better. The obvious extreme example, is that you don't carry around a 42" TV in your pocket and call it a phone, right? So if you enjoy the form factor of the 5-line, and don't think you'd like the larger form factor of the 6-line, well, stick with it. Tell Apple that it's a good form factor. I personally like both. I mean, one problem I have with my 6, not even Plus, is that some of my pants aren't big enough for it to be in the pockets, and I always have my phone in my front right pocket, hehe. I do enjoy the screen size for usage though, so you win some you lose some. Another thing you could consider however, is how much cheaper the SE is. It's two cycles of hardware ahead of the 5S, but will feel familiar and right at home design wise.

YouTube really shouldn't stress a Sandy Bridge CPU that much I think. Have you tried cleaning the computer for dust and reformatting the OS to see if it helps?

19. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Good advice! Just wondering if I'll regret not getting the latest, once I do it. SE is basically what I've had for a good few years, in that form factor. It's the longest time I've held on to any iPhone and not upgraded. So yes, it's probably the one I've liked the most, but not from a power point of view. I loved the 4 design too if I'm honest. Great phone and was worried about getting the bigger 5S all those years ago, which is comical now, as it seemed like it was around the same size once you had the 5S a few days. Maybe the 5S was the best design of them all, hence why the SE came out. People were missing that look?

Reformatting makes me nervous! So no, not done so. But the fan can be so loud that you can't hear the voices on the video sometimes,

20. casperes1996, Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017

casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Well, the SE is significantly cheaper than the 7, and since the screen is lower resolution (smaller size, lower res required for same density of pixels) it requires less performance to run equally well. With the money you save from picking the SE, there's still an upgrade path available once the SE2 (maybe?) comes out or whatnot. I'd go with that if I were you.

You can lose data, but aside from that, you can't really damage anything by reformatting. If all goes wrong, you can email me or text me on here and I'll help you out getting it all working again

Sounds like the fans are way louder than what logically makes sense, so I'd give it a reformatting. Let me know if you need instructions, if you feel like giving it a go

21. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816