Warp minimize effect?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by RoboCop001, Nov 10, 2007.

1. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

Anyone remember that hidden Warp minimize effect? I think it was from... Jaguar? I remember using it and it kind of seemed like a cross between genie and scale.

Is it still there in Leopard? And if it is, or if there are any other ones, how do you activate it?

2. Aldyn macrumors member

hmmm this sounds interesting, i've never seen it.

3. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Yes I do remember.
    Sadly I think it was lost, along with the cool minimize-in-place in Jaguar. :(

4. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

There's an effect for the dock called "Suck" which seems to be what you're talking about. In Tiger, using a program such as Onyx you can change the minimise animation to it as shown in the picture below.

You can download Onyx from the Apple website:
    http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/onyx.html

Don't know if the animation'll be available in Leopard though! Try it. :)

Attached Files:

5. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

Yes!

There is at least one additional effect although I can't remember if it's Warp.

You have to either tinker with config files (dangerous, if your terminal command skills are as rusty as the Nix hardware I teethed on) or use a third party program with a slick, easy to use GUI.

I prefer the GUI programs. I have one that is free, can access the lost Finder effect and much, much more. Such as customizing the look and text of the login screen.

I can't remember the name of the program but i will look for it and try to post here.

6. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

Suck it is!

The app I mentioned earlier is Deeper and it's from the same developer as Onyx. Deeper is a personlization utility whereas Onyx does that and maintenance.

Their site is http://www.titanium.free.fr

7. RoboCop001 thread starter macrumors 65816

Minimize in place? I remember hearing about that, but what is it? Does it turn into a tiny window but not go into the dock?

8. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Yes, it turns a window into a tiny window icon on the desktop. Click again and the window expands out to full size. It was nice, but clearly Apple preferred the dock for minimized applications.

9. winslayer macrumors newbie

You probably do mean the Suck effect which is still there in Leopard (it's the effect I use for minimizing).

To enable it, open Terminal and do:

defaults write com.apple.dock mineffect -string suck; killall Dock

and the effect will have changed.

10. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

So RoboCop001, other people also seem to agree that it's the "Suck" effect that you were after - have you had a chance to try it yourself yet in Leoapord?

Was it the effect that you were originally thinking of?

It'd be nice to get some closure on this and that you got what you were after! :)

11. RoboCop001 thread starter macrumors 65816

I just tried the Suck effect. Pretty cool. I wonder why Apple doesn't include it in System Preferences?

But I do specifically remember something called Warp, and it was a little different than Suck. I think... it was a while ago. It could have even been with Jaguar, or Panther. One of the older ones. Probably Jaguar.

I think Warp was a little different. Even if the animation was the same as Suck, it was definitely called Warp. I know that for sure, heh.

I think in Warp, the bottom corner of the window would stretch towards the dock and pull everything with it. Of course, I could be remembering wrong and it could be the same as what Suck does lol

Anyway, thanks everyone!

12. strangetml macrumors newbie

i was using suck effect before the latest update too! (10.5.4) i just surf around to find out how to get suck effect ;)
    thx the post