Warped Battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by The Flashing Fi, Feb 7, 2008.

1. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

Hey guys. Earlier today, I flipped my Macbook Pro over to look at something, and noticed the edge that is closest to the front and is parallel to the front was a bit warped on the battery. It's not much, but I notice a small gap on one side (from the warping?) and the side that's parallel is not flush with the bottom. So, I took the battery out just now to inspect it some more and the warping is hardly noticeable, but is still there. On the center of the battery (along the edge), it lies flush where the casing comes together, but on the edges, it does not (I press it and there is a little bit of space in between the edges). This has me concerned, as defective lithium ion batteries is a serious issues (they can explode).

Also, for about the 2-3 months that I've had the laptop, it still reports only having 4 charge cycles. I've calibrated the battery already, and I use the laptop on the battery nearly battery and charge it that day. It should be long past 4 cycles (at least 10-20). Also, the max capacity is only at 95%, and is still there after 4 cycles. Something is a miss with this battery.

Can someone help me? The warping definitely has me alarmed, and I'm kind of glad that I caught it as early as I did. However, if I take it to a Apple Store (there is 1 in my city), I wonder if one of the genius's will notice it, even if I point it out to them.

2. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Did you ever check to see if your machine was affected by the battery recall? Is this the replacement battery from the recall or the original?
    I'd suggest getting to an Apple store as soon as possible to have the battery replaced - before it damages your laptop (or catches fire).

3. The Flashing Fi thread starter macrumors 6502a

This MBP was bought November of 2007. I thought the battery problem was restricted to the first generation MBPs. I'm currently not using the laptop, btw. My biggest fear is that the genius won't noticeable, as the space in between the gap is about 1/4 of a mm, if I was to guess, maybe a little more.

For those of you who can't visualize the area, here it is:

http://www.appledefects.com/wiki/index.php?title=Image:Explodingbattery1.jpg

The same areas in this picture is affected (just the front, bottom, corners). However, the extent of the warping isn't anywhere as bad, and in comparison to my warping, this is quite exaggerated.

4. The Flashing Fi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do you guys think it will be worth my trouble to go to a Apple Store? My 3 month Apple Care is either over, or close to it.