Warped case on new MBP 15" Custom Build - anyone else?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ichaddy, Aug 17, 2009.

1. ichaddy macrumors member

Just received a new MBP from shanghai. I opted for the matte screen and 320gb hard drive. After eagerly unpacking it and placing it on the desk I've immediately noticed the case is not 'true'. aka the front right foot is off the desk and everytime I rest my wrist on the case there is an annoying wobble. (Much like a wobbly table in a bar)

I have made sure this is not just my desk and tried using the macbook on a number of other completely true surfaces. Lowering my eye level to the macbook foot, I can see it doesn't even touch the desk.

Has anyone else experienced this. I expected the MBP to be the most level, strong, parallel macbook ever owned - thanks to the "milled from one piece of alu".

Thoughts appreciated?

2. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd call applecare at once and explain the situation. Given the fact that you payed a lot of money for it. You need to get this taken care of.

4. Smoothie macrumors 6502

Why do you ask whether anyone else has experienced this when you know it's unacceptable? Just exchange it for another.

5. ichaddy thread starter macrumors member

6. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

Exactly +1

7. bakerster macrumors regular

same thing happened to mine. return immediately or else they will say it was user error.

then you have to get in a staring battle with the genius until he gives in.

8. dudeitsjay macrumors regular

That made my day LOL.

9. Brandon Heat macrumors regular

ive returned mine with no questions asked... it was clear to see that not all 4 pads were touching the table... just say how annoying it is when you plug something into the usb and the whole unit slides...

10. Bigabouli macrumors member

Hi guys, my mac had this problem - bottom right foot sat off the table by around 2mm with the screen open.

i couldn't return/exchange (i had it for 3 months)

BUT: There is an easy fix!

I took of my bottom case (1 piece) and this sat perfectly flat. I noticed that the bottom right screw was tougher to remove than the others, and on closer examination - the lower right bracket on which the screw sits in was slightly higher than the others. since the bracket is part of the unibody (aluminum and flexible to a degree) i applied pressure to the bracket, pushing it down by 1-2mm. After putting the base back on the mac sat perfectly fine!

Here are the steps
    1.) Take off your bottom case noting the affected corner
    2.) Apply pressure on the bracket affected - do NOT push too much, worst thing that could happen is that you push it too far and the other corners are higher and this corner doesn't rest on the table.
    3. Put on the bottom case
    4. Be happy :)

If you just got your mac it might be easier to return it though :p