Warped MacBook Pro: Don't trust AppleCare

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nwiese, Sep 9, 2007.

1. nwiese macrumors newbie

My macbook pro is less than 90 days old and recently i noticed some major warpage in the front left side under the keyboard. I traveled all the way to the Kansas City applestore to sort out the problem with my applecare. I always knew applecare never covered simply cosmetic damage, but the bow is so bad some of the metal is sticking out and I can barely close the computer, which in my oppinion affects the overall functionality. The "genius" associated this as accidental damage, even though I have NEVER dropped my computer and besides on small scratch from the zipper of the case catching it, is in perfect condition (besides the warpage). Now after buying an almost 3000 dollar computer, and paying 350 dollars extra for applecare coverage, I am expected to pay 610 dollars minimum to fix this damage, which will never happen as I am like many, a poor college student. I have never been so disappointed with Apple and encourage all who think about buying their products because of their reputation with service and repairs to think again, as I was basically called a liar by Apple. Now I have filed both an insurance claim and also wrote Steve Jobs an email, both of which will likely never be responded too. Thanks Apple.

2. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

Can you post a photo?

3. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

4. kolax macrumors G3

What is your usual operating temperature for your MBP?

5. future macnerd macrumors member

first of all are you sure that the "warpage" isn't just the keyboard failing to catch on something? (that's what it looks like to me) and second of all just because the "genius" associated it with it being dropped (which is logical because there are probably tons of customers that come in and try to lie about what happened to get free service) don't try and tell people that they should never buy from apple, that's just wrong and not everybody has problems with apple (Me and my family have never had one problem with apple or applecare, maybe your "genius" is just an idiot.)

6. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

yeah thats a user error, there are little clips all along the front of the case that snap down to hold the front of the keyboard in place, you dropped it or something, sorry to tell you...but you should be able to fix it but snapping it back down, did you try? push really hard, it shouldnt hurt it, you didnt try changing the harddrive did you?? Because thats where the harddrive is, and when i changed mine i didnt get it snapped down all the way at first and it looked just like that..so try pushing it down

7. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

But isn't there a screw on the side right on the front corner?

It almost looks like it was pried up or not snapped back in correctly after opening the top for some reason.

It might be easier to remove the screw to relieve pressure, snap everything into place and the put the screw back in.

Attached Files:

• 16.jpg
      16.jpg
      File size:
      8.3 KB
      Views:
  8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm not sure anyone can say that the obvious issue is user error and then chime in with "sorry you dropped it." I would venture to guess that had the computer been dropped there wouldn't have been so little (or none) denting. More importantly, I do believe that heat can cause this and that it is probably associated with heat. I think it's important to know that not every Genius was created equal. The guy or girl may have just brushed off the issue but I think it's worth another shot. The damage doesn't look like it was caused by a drop but then again I am not expert and neither is anyone else here in my opinion.
    It may be easy to fix yourself.

I wish the Apple laptops had something built in that would allow Apple to tell if the damage was caused by a drop. I mean, in the cases where it is not easy to tell. Much like cell phones (some) have that water spot detection thing that helps manufacturers tell if the phone had water damage. It would just be a cool feature and should be on every Apple product when applicable.

9. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

Hitachi and Seagate drives license technology from Texas Instruments that allow the drives to know that they are falling (and stop the plates or arms before it hits the ground and saves the drive).

I'd think that there could be something integrated so that the drive could talk to the OS or something and keep a record of zero gravity.

10. kolax macrumors G3

That's exactly what the MBP's motion sensor is for. Fantastic innovation in my opinion.

Not sure how well it works though - and I really don't fancy finding out how well it works either!

11. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I thought all Apple laptops had that function already?

Many new cars have blackboxes in them that record all the gauges and can tell the speed you were going at point of impact. Probably only cost another $500 to install ;)

12. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

MBP's have that sensor too? (Wow! A cool feature I didn't know it had! :D)

Then I suppose it could record those drops if Apple so chose to do so.

And I agree, I don't want to see how it works either. ;)

13. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Actually, it was around way back in the day with the Powerbooks. I believe all G4s (PBs, that is) had this feature, and the iBooks didn't. Then, with the Intel switch, the macbooks got the feature as well.

14. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

you must be looking at a different picture, there is no way heat caused that

15. nwiese thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I honestly wish there was something built into apples so I could prove that my computer was damaged from poor assembly or heat damage (though I doubt my computer runs any hotter than others I have used). The hardest part is being such a huge supporter of the company, and convincing so many of my friends to buy their products over windows pc's and being rejected from being able to get my computer fixed. I am meticulous as ever in operating the notebook and I know there is nothing I could have done to prevent what happened. I just hope in the future, apple finds ways to improve the design of the macbook pro especially so people with heat problems, uneven lids, and even more radical things like what happened to me won't happen to anyone else.

16. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

You're right. It almost looks like the notebook was struck on one side which caused the casing to lift as a result. It looks almost like it hit a corner on its way down...

17. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

yup, thats why i said, it was dropped, ot it was pulled apart and not put back together right, theres no other explanation for that damage, it certainly didnt come from the factory that way, and those freaking clips are TIGHT, theres no way it can come undone its self, btw yes there are screws, but it can still be loose with the screws screwed in

18. kolax macrumors G3

I don't think the MBP was dropped. There would be a big dent if it had - the corners are still smooth.

A better quality picture with different angles would provide us with the best opinion and see if the Genius wasn't necessarily wrong to come to the assumption that it was dropped.

Is the screw that holds the cover still there (where the warp is) ?

19. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

did you at least try what i suggested and push it back into place??? you have to push REALLY REALLY hard, trust me

20. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

true, but it still looks suspicious

21. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

It might have been dropped on a hard surface that had a smooth cover. For example, if it had been dropped on a stair. The carpet would cushion the blow and prevent a major dent, but might still be able to dislodge the screws.

22. EricBrian macrumors 6502a

EricBrian

I am not saying that this is the cause of your issue, but mine warped too when my battery ballooned. Apple replaced my battery but refused to do anything about the frame coming apart.

23. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Jesus. He said he didn't drop it. Why would he lie to you guys? I could understand lying to people who are going to make a difference (applecare), but to some messageboard?

OP I would just call up applecare and see if they will send out a box or if you can ship it in to be taken care of. That or try the store at a different time.

24. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Well, Apple should have repaired the case because their bad battery caused your case damage. If you had been more firm, they would have done it. If you kept all your papers and it's still under warranty, have it repaired now. If they try to say it's not their responsibility, remind them of a little thing called the law.