'Warped' MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheBritishBloke, Aug 22, 2010.

1. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Come home from my holiday to find that my MacBook Pro has a 'warped' base, this is worse on some places than others. (For those that don't know, warped is when it's uneven).

Has anyone had any experience in what Apple would do about this? I can't take it to an Apple store as it's too far away, would they send me a DIY part?

Thanks.

2. crawfish963 macrumors 6502

crawfish963

They will almost surely want to know how it happened. Obviously if it was due to neglect or unintentional damage on your part they probably won't fix it. If it overheated or was caused by a hardware malfunction and it' still under warranty they might repair/replace it.

3. circularforward macrumors 6502

Hmm, I'm sorry that happened. I know for unibody macbooks, apple does replace the bottom rubber panel, but I don't know about for mbp. I'd be curious to know what does happen.

4. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

I'm going to have to assume that someone put something heavy on it... or squished it.

Just letting it sit, in any temperature, wouldn't warp Aluminum.

5. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I had my refurb MBP come from the factory with a warped base...it would wobble back and forth from the back left to the front right.

I sent it back in and they sent me a replacement and this one seems perfect....

Of course mine didn't look visibly warped, it just wobbled and it came from the factory that way. That was also on the second day after I received the computer so I'm not sure what they will do if you are later in your warranty...

6. TheBritishBloke thread starter macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

For the record, it's been sat on a desk for 3 weeks as I've been away..

It's a unibody 2010 MacBook Pro i7.

I'd never neglect my MBP, I'm an OCD Mo-Fo.

My friend thinks it might be a swelling battery.. I'll give AppleCare a call.

7. El Zanto macrumors newbie

2010 mbp? I was under the impression that those had a non-user replaceable battery that was built in and so didn't suffer from the swollen/bloated battery problem :confused:

8. Prhymeate macrumors member

My brothers macbook was slightly warped at the bottom which was caused by battery swelling. He took it to the apple store last week as it was a few months of coming to the end of his apple care warranty and they took it off him and said that they would fix it all under warranty. Fingers crossed you get the same response.

9. TheBritishBloke thread starter macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Yeah that's what the AppleCare guy has said. He's offered for a collect and return service, geez I hate repairs lol..

10. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Bummer, but at least it will get taken care of. But to be without it while it's under repairs is a b***h. Hope its a quick turn around.

11. TheBritishBloke thread starter macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Well it's getting sent to an AASP, I called them and they said currently they can have it collected, diagnosed, repaired and delivered back to me generally within 1 week, so not bad..

12. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

1 week would seem like an eternity to me. Good luck!

13. TheBritishBloke thread starter macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

I've already had months worth of repairs done before lol :p

14. mmmatthew macrumors newbie

Sorry to resurrect this topic, but I'm suffering a similar problem. I've actually just tried to correct this myself (pliers and whatnot), but the base keeps reverting to the old shape. It's really not a BIG deal as you can just see the edge kind of lifting, but it's annoying. Did they replace the bottom or just repair it (as in this case, a replacement would be necessary, I would think). Also, how long did it take total? I'm in Canada, so maybe it would take longer?

15. mrdm macrumors regular

one suggestion...

....would be to remove the bottom plate and then fasten again. I did this to my Macbook Pro and it solved the slight wobble problem I had.

16. mmmatthew macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, I've tried this, and it hasn't solved anything.