Warped MBP Case After AppleCare Repair! Advice??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SuparShadow, Sep 16, 2009.

1. SuparShadow macrumors member

SuparShadow

Hello all,

I'm seeking a little advice for an issue with my 2006 MBP. To begin with, I'm running a 2GHz Intel Core Duo MBP that I purchased in August, 2006 with AppleCare.

Late last year/early this year, I began to notice some graphics problems with my computer that was eventually diagnosed as a logic board failure. At the time, my computer had a couple of nicks/dents/scratches (I'd had it for over two years at this point, after all) which gave me some issues in securing the logic board replacement through AppleCare, but eventually Apple Customer Relations sorted it out and replaced the logic board, battery, keyboard, trackpad, and bottom case. (Original Thread)

Anyway, Apple performed the repair in March, and my AppleCare expired a few weeks ago in August.

Then, this week (Monday, I think), I noticed a really weird... I don't know how to describe it, popping sensation, I guess, as I opened my laptop. I didn't give it much thought, and then this morning, I noticed that the bottom case has warped right above the latch button. (See attachment)

As I understand it, this is actually a pretty common occurrence with the MBPs... something about the computer's heat causing warping in the case? But I'm wondering what, if any, my options are in getting Apple to fix this now that my machine is out of AppleCare warranty. Is there a warranty period on actual repairs performed under AppleCare? Is this something Apple might be willing to repair simply as a courtesy? Anything?

Attached Files:

2. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

maybe. but i doubt it. you will have to call them

3. SuparShadow thread starter macrumors member

SuparShadow

bumping... because I just re-named the thread after realizing it wasn't quite clear that I'm looking for advice, not offering it. heh...

4. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

There is nowhere near enough heat in that area of the case to cause warping like that.

5. SuparShadow thread starter macrumors member

SuparShadow

I'm speculating that it's a heat issue. I encountered the same problem shortly after I purchased the computer, and when I asked one of the Apple Geniuses about it during a trip to my local Apple Store, they told me it was a common issue among these models and caused by the machine's heat.

In retrospect, I probably should have insisted they replace the case, but for whatever reason, I didn't question it and actually lived with that defect until Apple replaced the case this past March.

This machine has also had some battery problems (in January 07, I had to send it in for a repair involving the computer feeding power to the battery, and when it came back from this recent repair in March, the notes said it had "battery leakage"), so maybe it's not a heat issue, I don't know. Although that explanation does make sense to me; I'm no thermodynamics expert, but wouldn't the warping occur in whatever part of the case is glued together the weakest, regardless of where the heat originates?

But if you're trying to imply it's the result of user-damage, I guarantee you that isn't the case. I could go into how careful I am with my computer or whatever, but even besides that, I can't even imagine what kind of impact would cause the case to warp outwards.

I'm attaching an iStat screengrab here, just in case someone more knowledgeable than I about heat issues is equipped to comment on my numbers.

Attached Files:

6. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

i seriously doubt you are going to get any help from apple. i mean it is 4 years old and out of warranty.

my question is, you said the same thing happened to the original case and you lived with it until march of this year when they replaced it. so if you lived with it for 2+ years, why is it such an issue to you now?

either way, there is nothing we can do for you. you have to call apple if you want to see if they will help you. we have no idea what apple will do.

7. SuparShadow thread starter macrumors member

SuparShadow

I really hesitated to mention that because I knew someone would ask this very question.

I think it's irrelevant, frankly, but I'll indulge you with an answer anyway: I could live with it at the time because I didn't expect to keep the computer long past four years (I bought it primarily for college, and I figured I'd just upgrade to a faster machine when I graduated), and I was naive enough to just take the Apple Genius' word for it that it was a common issue and there was no point in getting it repaired. Then, as time went on and the machine accumulated additional signs of wear and tear, I became decreasingly bothered by (and aware of) its cosmetic issues.

But when the logic board failure came along this year and Apple replaced the logic board, keyboard, trackpad, case, AND battery, I felt it had significantly extended the life/usability of this machine for me, and -- maybe especially because I knew the warranty was going to expire soon -- became more conscious than ever of maintaining it in good condition. The longer I can keep it working properly, the longer I can go without needing to drop $2500 on a new machine.

Also, yes, the machine is four years old and technically out of warranty, but it's only been out of AppleCare coverage for a few weeks now, and the part in question has only been with me for six months. That's why I'm wondering if anyone here has some experience with any warranty on repairs, and if this particular heat/warping issue is something anyone else is also familiar with, if it's common, etc.

And bviously I'm going to have to call Apple and ask them, duh. The purpose of this thread is to do some recon and gather information before I waste my time at the Genius Bar, as I've done far too many times in the past already.

8. n19htmare macrumors member

Your numbers are fine. Highest temp I see is the CPU which is 65C (149F) and that's well acceptable.

9. jointsmoking macrumors regular

Help me to understand. Apple repaired your computer in March. In Spetember you discover a dent, now you want Apple to do what? Why?

Good luck, but I think you're stuck with that dent, it was not caused by the heat of the computer.

10. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

I thought with a refurb it extends the warranty to 90 days? Am i right:confused:

11. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I think your only angle is to present this problem as a design flaw to Apple--and they *might* repair it. In the past Apple has repaired out of warranty products due to known design flaws. You could very well end up wasting your time however so set your expectations low.

I can certainly understand waiting as long as possible to pay $2500 on a new computer but if everything else is working properly -- I don't see why you would spend that now because of a cosmetic issue.

When you do drop the cash for a replacement someday remember your experience with this machine -- and get any cosmetic problems fixed while its under warranty.

12. goMac macrumors 603

13. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

I doubt that Apple will do anything for you. Since Apple replaced most of the important parts of your computer, I would probably keep it.

This laptop is very easy for you to take apart with 2 tools, a philips screw driver and a torx driver. ifixit has a video on breaking it down and reassembling. If this computer was mine, I would just look on eBay and other places and buy a lower case and do the repair myself.

14. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

That's right! That "injury" usually comes from getting caught on something while being put in/out of a bag.

15. SuparShadow thread starter macrumors member

SuparShadow

I should clarify that I by no means intend to ditch this computer just because of this case warping. It's in excellent operating condition, and at this point I'll probably keep it until the display (or the refurb'd logic board) craps out on me.

It's just annoying that a design flaw like this would pop up just six months after Apple replaced the part in question.

16. caonimadebi macrumors regular

It looks more like user damage than a design defect. How hot would the machine have to get to warp aluminum without external force?
    This is a cosmetic issue that Apple will refuse to fix even when it's in warranty, and there's no reason to hope that they will fix it now.

17. SuparShadow thread starter macrumors member

SuparShadow

18. fried-gold macrumors member

Check this article on the BBC, it deals with the sales of goods act, whereby all manufacturers are required to repair/replace a product if within 6 years something goes wrong, as long as this defect was present or stemmed from a fault present when you purchased the product you may be covered. Obviously this does not cover user damage and any violations of usage guideline would void this.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8253915.stm

And the key time span is six years. That's how long goods may be covered by the Sale of Goods Act. It all depends on what "sufficiently durable" means. If a light bulb goes after 13 months, the consumer is not going to be overly gutted. If their washing machine goes after the same time span they are going to be livid.

The government's guidelines say: "Goods are of satisfactory quality if they reach the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking into account the price and any description."

If it wasn't your fault it might be worth investigating.

19. SuparShadow thread starter macrumors member

SuparShadow

thanks, fried-gold. Im not sure that's applicable here though, since I'm an American consumer. :/