Warped touchpad

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by secretpact, May 27, 2008.

1. secretpact macrumors 6502

I've been using my MBP for about 4 months now almost exclusively in clamshell mode (lid closed, external monitor connected). I started using it as a laptop now and I've noticed that the trackpad is a little warped. The middle is slightly dented inward. It can be seen with the naked eye, and can also be felt. I'm thinking of sending it to apple but I don't have any other computer at the moment so I may not.

I am just warning anyone who is going to use their MBP in clamshell mode for a long period of time. I have the newest Penryn model.

2. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

i have the same thing.
    4 months too.
    i dont think its a problem.might have always been like that.functionality still the same

3. gr8bob macrumors regular

Mine's not a Penryn-based model, it's an early 2008 SR MBP and the trackpad is dented on the centre, making the sides, flanking the sides upward. I haven't been using it in clamshell mode at all.

4. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

take it to an apple store or certified repair center. They should be able to order the part and have you bring back the computer when the part arrives. After that its like a 15 min fix.

5. Mack1N macrumors newbie

or you can take the battery out..and gently rub the dent out. the trackpad is located right under then battery. i had the same problem before and it worked for me. sure beats making a trip to the apple store.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's considering cosmetic as it does not affect the performance of the computer; it doesn't hurt to try, but I don't see it.

Mine has been warped since day one, and it's getting shiny now.

7. gr8bob macrumors regular

Mine looks like it's caved in at the centre and now the extreme edges on the left and right side of the touchpad doesn't seem to respond very well to my fingers anymore.

8. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

if you take out the battery and look at how the touchpad is attached, theres a piece of metal holding it, but theres a hole in the middle, which is where the controller chip rests.
    thats why the touchpad rests slightly lower n the middle, there no metal to back it.
    not a big worry