Warping/making something sound weird, easily and freely?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by thegrandmaster, Jan 30, 2008.

1. thegrandmaster macrumors regular

thegrandmaster

Hey guys,

I need to take a song and make it sound strange and warped, its for a scene in a play I'm working on where someone accidentally moves from one dimension to another.

Basically I'm just looking for an easy (and free) way of taking a song and warping it and making it sound strange, I want to go for something like the noise the Tardis makes in Doctor Who, except its the song that's being 'warped'.

All help is appreciated, thanks!

2. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Audacity is a free audio editor, and I think the phaser effect may work for you (though I have no clue what sound you are referencing in Doctor Who).

After you import the audio, select the section you want to "warp" and select Effect>Phaser, and try these settings:
    Stages >8
    Wet (all the way to the right)
    LFO 3
    Depth 200
    Feedback 60-80

The wahwah effect can be used in a similar fashion.

If you want a smooth transition into this, put the same audio into Audacity on separate tracks, apply the effects to one track only, then do a fade between the tracks. Do this as many times as necessary, with a new track per "effect". It's a bit messy, but it should work.

Best of luck!

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

phasers are cool, but i think you'll get closer to what you want with some filtering plugins, something like psp's nitro.

they have a demo, but i don't know how fully functional it is.

4. thegrandmaster thread starter macrumors regular

thegrandmaster